Skip to content

Darkness before the dawn

2»

Comments

• I've just watched it again. I can't see much loi t continuing to hammer him, as I said I feel sorry for him, but I disagree completely that that was in any unstoppable

• Although, I concede it does indeed look like a shot rather than a cross

• @Wendoverman said:
    I accept I am not a professional footballer but when you are handed a pen the least you can do is score. This season poor teams have made us pay for not taking our chances. I still think we will stay up but its going to be a close run thing.

I’d say the most you can do is score. The least you can do is a hopeless sky hoof a la Danny Hylton as see there some seasons ago. Sadly JJ was more Hylton than Harry Kane. It was doubly bitter as I’d spend some time chuckling about Hylton’s miss before kick off.

• Haven't put myself through the pain of watching the "highlights", but it really does sum up football when people can't agree if it was a worldie (hate that term) or not!

• @Wendoverman said:
    I accept I am not a professional footballer but when you are handed a pen the least you can do is score. This season poor teams have made us pay for not taking our chances. I still think we will stay up but its going to be a close run thing.

Back in my day, a pen was as good as a goal.
    It's long turned away from that though.

• About 75% of penalties are scored. The percentage has increased over time.

• We had the ball in their half for the first 3 minutes of stoppage time. I remember their keeper taking a goal kick really quickly with about a minute to go, and thought it was odd because we looked most likely to score

• @Chris said:
    About 75% of penalties are scored. The percentage has increased over time.

I am genuinely interested in this. Where is your evidence

• http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Premier_League_Penalty_Statistics.html

This may help @LX1. Varies a bit year on year ibut 75% isn’t far out

• That looks to be a premier league stat.
    Would be surprised if that's across all leagues, but maybe my incorrect perception.

• I didn’t do anything more than google the percentage conversion rate. I suspect it is based on the Premier League.

• 75% appears to be the figure generally quoted in relation to international football tournaments, which includes penalty shootouts.

This source (if reliable) suggests that for League 1, just under 80% of penalties have been scored this season. This looks to be a historically good ratio, with the previous 4 seasons appearing to be 63%, 77%, 71% and 70%

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/elfmeterstatistik/wettbewerb/GB3

• It may not have been a worldie, but at least a continentalie, surely?

• A League One-ie?

• 63% of penalties scored over a season seems astoundingly low at first glance, when you’d think it would be so straightforward for a professional footballer to score a penalty. Some things are just harder than they look!

• I feel as though League One level sees better penalties, in general. Premier League players seem too apt to skip around/breakdance/Irish jig in their run up, only to put it right into the goalie's hands.

• We've had a few keepers over the years that must have a much better ratio than most.

Nikki Bull for instance I remember saving quite a few.
    Letting in the highest amount of long rangers I've ever seen a Wycombe keeper let in, but great on pens.

• Nikki Bull was an outstanding goalkeeper

He'd waltz into our team at the moment

• Mooving to the music?

• Bovine Boogie.

• @DevC said:
    Mooving to the music?

He’d beef up the defence.

• And no milking injuries...

• @Wendoverman said:
    And no milking injuries...

But one misteak and the herd in the terrace would be udderly furious. I wouldn’t brisket.

• Wasn't he playing in Hamburg recently?

• I do wonder who would have written Nikki’s waltz. Shostacowvich or Tchaicowsky are possibles, Moozart more likely but given Nikki was a famous linguist, my money is on Bach