Skip to content

Darkness before the dawn

However sick we all feel tonight - and believe me, I was almost physically sick when that goal went in - I think back to how I felt after we lost at home to Bristol Rovers in 2014. I don't think I've ever felt that low after a game. Ainsworth's post-match interview suggested he's really feeling it. I can imagine how the players feel. But we're not about to go out of the league and potentially out of existence. Heads held high everyone, let's make every game from now til May 4th feel like that day at Torquay. COYB!

(yes, I have had a few glasses of wine)

Comments

• You may have had a glass or two but you are right. We have struggled over the last two months but COYB

• Certainly cannot forget walking out after that Rovers game, it seemed dead cert of relegation.
    I remember trying to be "positive" as we looked down the list of grounds for the next season!

• I personally think we are going to drop into the relegation spots, and then belatedly start picking up points. It is going to be close!

• But the only way is up Raglan.

• The collective shrug of the shoulders and swivel for the exits as the winner went in would suggest not enough people feel that sick about it.

• Thank you @MindlessDrugHoover, very true and an inspiring piece from you. I'll be there for the full journey and although gutting, we weren't that far from a win today let alone a draw or as it turned out, a loss. We have to see games through all the way without losing concentration. Today is perhaps an example of what we will need to become used to should we chose a route of low or no investment for the club?

• Good to read this thread from posters who realise that football can slap you in the face but you have to keep believing. Some fans on the Gasroom and especially on the FB page seem to have given up already but I know that the manager and the players never will.

• I've been convinced that we'll go down for weeks. Ever since the Gillingham game. But that's because I'm a very pessimistic person. At the same time, I don't think the team have been playing anywhere near as badly as results would suggest. Apart from Accrington, we outplayed Sunderland and Gillingham, and probably shaded the games against Shrewsbury and Oxford, but just missed our big chances and conceded late on.

The team are still putting in everything, we've just been very unlucky recently. Even in the games against Luton and Barnsley at the start of this run, we didn't actually play badly.

• Woke up this morning. It wasn’t a dream. Have been trying to brainwash myself, anti-Shankly fashion, into thinking that there are more important things in life than football. It’s not easy.

• We could really do with having someone like Southend or Walsall up next rather than who we have. One win could bring a lot of confidence back, to fans as well as the players, whereas another defeat, however unlucky, will just heap pressure on us all.

While substitutions have to be made as and when needed, our apparent tiredness towards the end of games suggests maybe making them earlier in matches as a matter of course could help.

• The players have just had two weeks without a match. They shouldn't have been physically tired at the end of yesterday.

• @aloysius: my thoughts entirely. I just cannot understand how fit professional footballers can be too tired physically to be able to “see a game out” unless of course the psychological effect of the pressure on them to get a result is the overriding factor.

• Spot-on IMHO @micra!

• Whilst not disagreeing with Aloysius and Micra ( for whom I have the greatest respect), it is ironic that we get heavily criticised for seeing a game out-game management, gamesmanship, time wasting, cheating etc- and also criticised for not seeing a game out!

• Ways and means, I suppose @glasshalffull and thanks for the kind words.

• @aloysius said:
    The players have just had two weeks without a match. They shouldn't have been physically tired at the end of yesterday.

Maybe it's a psychological (confidence?) thing then. Either way, it's an issue that needs addressing.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@aloysius said:
    The players have just had two weeks without a match. They shouldn't have been physically tired at the end of yesterday.

Maybe it's a psychological (confidence?) thing then. Either way, it's an issue that needs addressing.

Or perhaps being pushed to hard physically in training?

• If it was actually that easy to "see out" a game, we wouldn't see tonne loads of late goals across the leagues every week.

• I think the problem with this sort of pressure is that the nearer the end of the game the more nervous any player (and supporter) gets about making a mistake, which perversely makes mental mistakes more likely.

Is it just me but it does this run feel very similar to the Torquay season? So expect to feel completely deflated after Wimbledon only to feel totally elated after Fleetwood. Or not.

The thing we have to remember is that other clubs we have to play will have exactly the same pressures as ourselves and may be prone to the same nerves as ourselves at the end of the games. Let’s just hope we get the odd lucky break.

• We’re certainly due one or two. Lucky breaks, I mean.

• My memory of yesterdays game, in the 4 additional minutes, we had the ball in their half more than they ours. We didn't look like a team hanging on. Then they score a worldy.

• Picture the scene, it’s Sunday evening, Gaz sitting at home planning for Monday morning, where does he go given our situation?
    1) Pull in his ‘generals’ El/Abd, Blooms, JJ, Bayo sit them down and ask them to take 15 mins to come up with five actions to beat Walsall, Dons and Southend.
    2) take Rocky aside, tell him he is first name on team sheet till end of season.
    3) tell Thomo he is rested ( not dropped) till the above key games which he will boss from centre mid.
    4) take Paris aside and tell him it is his quality that will keep us up ( motivation not fact).
    5) don’t overtrain the squad.
    Best of luck Gaffer, we are all with you.

• @Wisdom_Of_Harry said:
    My memory of yesterdays game, in the 4 additional minutes, we had the ball in their half more than they ours. We didn't look like a team hanging on. Then they score a worldy.

I agree. I thought after Paris came on if anyone was going to win it was us.

But I don't agree that it was a worldie

• @Wisdom_Of_Harry said:
    My memory of yesterdays game, in the 4 additional minutes, we had the ball in their half more than they ours. We didn't look like a team hanging on. Then they score a worldy.

That’s my recollection as well. Also, what a nice change to watch a game and not have to listen to opposition fans chanting the predictable ‘Same old Wycombe, always cheating’.

• @eric_plant said:

@Wisdom_Of_Harry said:

I have to disagree on the goal, I thought it was unstoppable.

• @MindlessDrugHoover You'll have to keep drinking that wine to help forget the reality of the situation we now find ourselves in. I think you sum it well by comparing it to going out of the Football League / business. Says it all really.

• @glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:

@Wisdom_Of_Harry said:

I have to disagree on the goal, I thought it was unstoppable.

It was a cross for starters, so can't be described as a worldie.

As for unstoppable, I'm not convinced.

• Only the player who scored it knows the truth to that one but it didn’t look like a cross from where I was sitting.

• I accept I am not a professional footballer but when you are handed a pen the least you can do is score. This season poor teams have made us pay for not taking our chances. I still think we will stay up but its going to be a close run thing.