Skip to content

Luke Bolton on loan from Manchester City

Comments

• @Malone said:
    It could be quite a beneficial sharing of knowledge.
    He can bring us Pep's "conditioning" skills which sees the likes of David Silva almost magically improve his stamina, while he can take back our skills on how to "see out" games

Pep obviously has something special, other than just great players. The difference, as I see it, is that in most games we have the ball 70% of the time. That means that when we lose it, we generally have the energy to win it back quickly. Conversely, the other team are fatigued which is why we tend to score a lot of goals in the last quarter of games.

For Luke, I think it is about playing 'men's' football. He has been playing in the academy since he was 8. He is a talent but digging out results, on difficult pitches, teaches a player something more, physically and psychologically. Hopefully, it will really work for both parties and be the start of a longstanding partnership.

• There was a lot of psychological learnings to be had today.

• The next time city play Plymouth he'll have a valuable store of knowledge ;-)

• A matter of time before a club of that stature regains its rightful place in the Premier League.

• I thought Luke coped well considering. To be fair, it was a baptism of fire for him. If Pep wanted him to be educated on the rough & ready of the mans game, then he was thrown in at the deep end. Luke had little opportunity to show what he could do going forward, as by the time he came on, the game had dissolved in to a war zone. Argyle had brought on Taylor & decided to go route one, by-passing midfield, looking for the second ball. Pep would have had a coronary watching that. It was pretty clear that Luke had been put on to be tenacious and defend what we had and in that role, he did well. I'm sure he will get his opportunity to shine going forwards and very much look forwards to seeing him for the remainder of the season.

• I enjoyed the buzz in the crowd when he first got the ball. The pass he hit was great, too. After that, as you say, @EwanHoosaami, there was little he could do to make an impact.

• shurely a song about a bolt from the blue is on the cards

• He sang an Oasis song on the overnight last night to the squad pre tonight’s game, so:

‘ Today’s gonna be the day that you see young Lukie shine
    Today’s gonna be the day that he replaced our Luke O’Nein
    Don’t you wish that every Lukie played the way ours do
    Oh Lukie, your gonna be the one that thrills me
    Your our Lukie boy, our Lukie boooy’

For those that didn’t see it he named James Milner as his mentor and told the team what Pep G had said to him, not the sort of thing you hear too often at Chairboys dinner.

• Surely we have to adapt something from one of his uncle Michael's hits

oh Lukey, how were we supposed to win without you
    Now that we've been loving you so long
    etc

I expect instead the terrace will come up with something about the length of his manhood.

• @oldius said:
    Hello from a City fan who will now be keeping an eye on Wycombe. In Luke Bolton, you have signed a tenacious, pacy young player with a fantastic appetite for the game. I will be shocked if he doesn't impress ...

Sorry to say this @oldius but you should be feeling shocked now. Aside from a lovely forward pass down the line at the start of his first appearance for Wycombe, he has shown very little to impress anyone. He's looked very ordinary so far. He didn't start today. I don't think many (if any) of our supporters would have been disappointed that he didn't start and he didn't have any impact when did get on.

I know he's young, still learning and having to adapt from U23 to League One, but he looks far from a hot prospect for future Premier League stardom to me.

• Very early days. I wasn’t at Kenilworth Road today and the lad was only on for the last 25 minutes in a game where we were clearly second best. League 2 football is much more physically demanding than Under 23 football and it will inevitably take a few games for Luke to adjust. Don’t write him off just yet!

• @micra said:
    Very early days. I wasn’t at Kenilworth Road today and the lad was only on for the last 25 minutes in a game where we were clearly second best. League 2 football is much more physically demanding than Under 23 football and it will inevitably take a few games for Luke to adjust. Don’t write him off just yet!

Have I missed something are we moving him on to a lower league team already??

• Whoops! Time I went to bed a bit earlier.

• @Uncle_T said:

@oldius said:
    Hello from a City fan who will now be keeping an eye on Wycombe. In Luke Bolton, you have signed a tenacious, pacy young player with a fantastic appetite for the game. I will be shocked if he doesn't impress ...

Sorry to say this @oldius but you should be feeling shocked now. Aside from a lovely forward pass down the line at the start of his first appearance for Wycombe, he has shown very little to impress anyone. He's looked very ordinary so far. He didn't start today. I don't think many (if any) of our supporters would have been disappointed that he didn't start and he didn't have any impact when did get on.

I know he's young, still learning and having to adapt from U23 to League One, but he looks far from a hot prospect for future Premier League stardom to me.

Agreed. Company him to Eze, and it is leagues apart. Eze made his debut away at Newport as a sub the last ten minutes and absolute tore up the game. Looked levels above anyone else on the pitch, and did so whenever he was "in a game".

Kashket played a wonderful ball into Bolton at 1-0 yesterday, but he just let it go out when he would have been in on goal. Was very odd

• Give the lad a chance, he's played about 120 minutes so far and not exactly had the much of the ball in that time

• He’s not had the immediate impact of an Eze, Blackman, Mawson or Taylor. It looks like he’s struggled to adapt to seriously competitive games - it might just be a confidence thing and he may come good for Wycombe yet.

• @th100 said:
    Give the lad a chance, he's played about 120 minutes so far and not exactly had the much of the ball in that time

Well said. For a start he’s a completely different type of player to Eze who had also had experience in QPR’s reserve and first team before he came to us. Luke has only played at U23 level and is having to adapt from being away from home and leaving behind a club of the stature of Manchester City to take on the rigours of League One, quite a culture shock I imagine!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It is frightening how an obviously talented player is struggling to step up from under 23 football. How much of a different game is it and is it a reason why so few youth players break through at the top clubs?
    I still think Luke will do ok for us

• I think it is the style of football which is the biggest problem to surmount for Luke.

He has been coached to play a cultured brand of football at Man City which is totally alien to what you get in the lower divisions and particularly our method of playing. He will be used to playing alongside technically better players and with less of a physical emphasis.

In the long run it will be a good lesson for Luke to get acquainted with real life In the lower echelons of his profession. If he can successfully deal with these challenges he will benefit from the experience and ultimately make him a better all round player.

• I don’t always agree with Mooneyman but he is spot on with this assessment.

• Getting minutes in the professional game has to be of value at any level for a young player.

• edited February 2019

It looked an interesting choice of loan for the lad. 200 miles away, to a team although easier on the eye than last year, do rely on quite a bit of "Pressure" football. I wonder if the loan was for personal development as much as actual football reasons.

Still, like the others say very early doors, and plenty of time to make an impression.

• Doesn't Pep rely quite heavily on the high press when not in possession?

• I wouldn't say we're that similar to Man City in our style of play @EwanHoosaami

• edited February 2019

We have a history of great young loanees, we also have a history of writing off players as absolutely useless and quickly reassesing after a goal or two. I'd be surprised if it even seems like the same sport to the guy at the moment. Mooney is spot on above. No guarantees on anyone"making it" but far too early to see.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Eze hadn't played as much as Luke has at this stage of his loan.

• Uncle T, please don't be sorry as you have to call it as you see it.
    I have seen a very accomplished player at U23 level who has played well for City in pre-season friendlies. I rate him but there is a gap between U23 and League 1 which is why Pep keeps calling for a B team system, similar to that in Spain.
    As far as I can tell, and I have been following you, you're having a decent season and were unbeaten in several games coming into the Luton match. He has played one and a bit games in total and that is too early to judge a player IMO, especially one that is new to the league, club and style of play. If he plays decent minutes over the next twenty games and is still not cutting it, then fair enough. As far as I can tell, he has fitted in but hasn't shone. FWIW, neither has Mahrez at City and he was £60m!

• @oldius I'm not writing him off just yet and do hope he will play a big part for us this season. My comments arose from my having expected, partly due to the build up about his ability and partly just because he's contracted with Man City, to be impressed pretty much straight away, as I have in the past been with Steven Taylor and Alfie Mawson and, more recently, with Eberechi Eze from Championship QPR. I guess I'm a little disappointed that I have yet to see a glimpse of the potential those guys displayed from Luke Bolton.