Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

Comments

• @Malone said:
    @Glenactico , I expect fishing and wums on the FB page.......”

And a complete absence of subtlety or irony.

• All hail the Beast - we are not worthy!!

Sensational stuff, some great performances all over the park today, but Bayo’s game changing cameo was something else.

Suddenly the ball started sticking up front with PCH, Kashket and Freeman buzzing round him and enjoying quality possession in the final third.

Above anything else, it gave our players the self belief that they could get something out of the game while Donny’s defenders were sucked in to trying to deal with his gigantic presence.

Great to have him back.

• Paris worked harder than for a while, and when it mattered he delivered. The technique for the first goal and the awareness of the space Thompson was in for the equaliser were brilliant. And that perfect header. If he can influence matches consistently, as he has done in the past, we won't miss Fred.

• The game almost seemed to turn on the fight. Really pulled us together, while shooting their confidence.

• What a shocking atmosphere it was at Wycombe today no one singing

• @TheatreOfChairs said:
    All hail the Beast - we are not worthy!!

Sensational stuff, some great performances all over the park today, but Bayo’s game changing cameo was something else.

Suddenly the ball started sticking up front with PCH, Kashket and Freeman buzzing round him and enjoying quality possession in the final third.

Above anything else, it gave our players the self belief that they could get something out of the game while Donny’s defenders were sucked in to trying to deal with his gigantic presence.

Great to have him back.

Agree. It was noticeable that we used him more effectively than in the Xmas games too. Although we pumped a fair few balls in his direction we also used his hold up play more effectively - eg the move leading to the equaliser.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    So missing ‘Vital Opposition View’ tonight.

Sorry

Here's a consolation...

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=7734fe643be10d8f6b36da441ca29218&topic=268606.0

• Totally agree. My favourite bring the time Nick Freeman knocked it into his feet on the edge of the box.

More of that please.

• Did one of their guys get sent off after the final whistle or was it just a yellow?

• Yellow for one of theirs and yellow for Thompson, I think.

• Doncaster fans on their 'gasroom2' in no doubt who the catalyst for our revival was and have only nice things to say about his footballing skills!

They are certainly wishing us well too as a club for the rest of season too :) ...

"Orrible grubby little club. Sincerely hope they go down or ideally out of business. Moment that big fat bas**rd came on we went to pieces.
    « Last Edit: Today at 05:18:02 PM by Chris Black

and

Re: What on earth happened?
    « Reply #10 on Today at 05:30:46 PM by Chris Black come back »
    What the fat lumbering fker does is nothing to do with football. He heaves his massive arse on to the pitch and then two or more defenders are devoted to him, leaving massive holes in defence. Don’t even think he got a flick on. Just a massive big basrd that offers nothing to the game and the sooner he retires the better for us all.

Watching the game and reviewing highlights it always gives me a warm glow when the opposition don't appreciate his deft footwork and delicate flicks ...

• Yes indeed @blue67 - he is every bit as important for making goals as for scoring them himself.

• @EssexWanderer said:

@TheatreOfChairs said:
    All hail the Beast - we are not worthy!!

Great to have him back.

Agree. It was noticeable that we used him more effectively than in the Xmas games too. Although we pumped a fair few balls in his direction we also used his hold up play more effectively - eg the move leading to the equaliser.

From the stands we can always see he is much more than just the best hoof ball target ...do we think he is better though now as an impact player or first name on the starting lineup when fully fit?

Alex did a pretty good job for quite a few weeks and is Bayo's impact best when defenders are knackered?...If so please bring him on 10 minutes early though Gareth!

• @Vital said:

@perfidious_albion said:
    So missing ‘Vital Opposition View’ tonight.

Sorry

Here's a consolation...

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=7734fe643be10d8f6b36da441ca29218&topic=268606.0

A rare treat on s special day, many thanks Vital?

• What actually happened with McCarthy and rocky?

• I wouldn’t rush to mark Bayo down as purely an impact player for 20-30 minutes off the bench.

He’s still got so much more to offer than that and I’d certainly expect him to start next Saturday.

Maybe one day though. He’s such a naturally fit man that, given his relatively pedestrian playing style (no criticism intended), he could even play on until he’s 40. If for those last couple of years it’s largely as an impact player then I couldn’t think of better impact player to have.

• This is well worth a watch. Great views of our goals from the away end.

Thompson's sidestep shimmy and hit was brilliant

Love Sido's reaction booting the ball into oblivion after the winner!

• Thanks @vital a telly enjoyable read. Loved the poster that wrote, "that fat F@#ker drags his lumbering ar$e on to the pitch". "He's just a distraction value, nothing to do with football". Do some people go to football and just play with their phones instead of watching the game? If Bayo is just that, well it's part of football, just different. Whilst at the same time ignoring his ability with his excellent hold up play and freeing up space for the likes of Freeman, Kashket & PCH.
    Curtis was my MOTM today but special mentions to Freeman & PCH. I was right behind that PCH 1st goal and knew it was in as soon as it left his boot. Watched it curl in all the way. Possibly, technically, the best strike of a ball I've seen in a long time.

• Yes...they lost a 2-0 lead and shipped three goals because a big fat Bastardo who cannot play football came on. Well it's a long way back to Donny.

• Thanks for posting that @DJWYC14. Enjoyed seeing Allsop down the other end of the pitch joining in the celebrations.

• @Malone I not there but I know the lad and he dun nothin Pierre is thug...

• View from the away end:

• Bayo is on the end of every ball and creates space for himself and others. I know we won but he should have been on at 1-0 for me. Having said that another thriller.

• Bayo's balance and technique are massively underrated. He is also a skillful striker of the ball with great vision and passing. Yes, he is slow, but if he was fast, with all his other gifts, he would be a Premier League player, so I am rather thankful for that lack of pace!

Anyone that disrespects him has obviously not paid attention to what he does, but rather assume how they think he should play based on his size.

• Red wine + a Wycombe last minute win = the perfect Saturday night. Up the blues. Survival is ours. I am eagerly awaiting the next best @LX1 thread

• The sky clips never work on my laptop or phone, so great coverage from @DJTaylor there.

Doncaster fan took it in good grace! Seemed a nice guy

• I quite liked this pre-match assessment of Bayo from the Rovers forum (basically a response to a ‘what does he offer?’ post). Pretty much spot on I thought:

“Akinfenwa is an immovable object so when he stands his ground under the flight of the ball, you've got choices.

1. Muscle him away? Not.
    2. Go round the side? No, he's that wide you can't get round him and he'd turn you.
    3. Go over the top? Your timing needs to be impeccable but once you hit him, you're likely to end up in a heap.
    4. Let him have it? That's what many centre halves do and try to stop him turning in possession and hope you pick up the second balls.”
  • Incredible spirit to turn around a poor performance and near certain defeat into yet another comeback from behind.
    Bayo's impact from the bench was infinitesimally greater than his impact in the reverse fixture where he started (see https://gasroom.org/discussion/4146/match-day-thread-doncaster/p1 ). Horsing it to a big man can't be the plan A, but Bayo's strength, incredible touch and general footballing intelligence was the key factor in the turnaround. Defenders that had him in their pocket in the game earlier in the season were suddenly less keen to face him with 70 minutes on the clock, and his impetus gave us the belief we could yet get something from the game.

Hopefully Curtis Thompson will be able to keep fit and injury free, he looks like he's steadily growing into being a big player for us in midfield. A friend scoffed when said his performances had started to become reminiscent of a certain Stephen Brown, though he looks more and more like him by the game.

• I know I'm biased and I know we have our share of idiots but it's rare for Wycombe fans here or even on the FB page to simply slag off the opposition like that just because we've lost. It really seems to get under some people's skin that they lost to little Wycombe. Makes it all the sweeter really.

Another reminder never to give up on this team. Best Saturday night for a long while. And great to see the old Bayo-Kashket-Paris team back together. It's obvious Bayo brings out the best in them both.