Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

Comments

• Just walking get around a charming nature reserve near the ground.

Scandalously we have been in Yorkshire for 3 days and have yet to see either Geoffrey Boycott or a single whippet. Disgraceful scenes.

• Looks like a straight 4-4-2. Paris injured, Gape and McCarthy on the bench.

• Got to feel for CMS if he’s not getting a start in a 4-4-2.

• Unless it’s 4-5-1 with Morris and Williams playing wide, counting on Bayo to lay it off to them, but I think that’s less likely.

• With Bayo starting, he needs more of a whippet alongside. CMS will no doubt arrive on the hour (if not sooner).
    I just hope Randell Williams has the confidence to shoot on sight.

• We may need some set piece magic today, I feel. Perhaps a couple of lovely JJ deliveries onto the heads of Stewart and Bayo?

• Sound sound Shev.

• Weathering the storm a bit, but boy does Williams have scary pace!

• A real bunch of moaners. Doncaster fans complaining almost every time we go into a tackle

• Should be at least 1 up

• Certainly sounds that way on the iFollow commentary.

• And there you go. Chance to us, goal to then. We need to get better in terms of chances to goal ratio that’s for sure.

• 0-2, bloody bloody

• 2-0. Can't argue too much, though I agree we need to be better in front of goal

• If were relying on Bayo this season were going down !! bordering embrassing watching him lumber around for 79 mins so far !!

• FFS 0-3

• 3-0. Oh dear.

• No doubt we need more goals and to take out chances however like some on here not writing the season off after game two muppet.

• We had to expect that better defenders would defend Bayo better. He’s a great plan a but we need to use plan b, c, etc more across the season to at least make the opposition think. We have options, we need to be confident enough to use them.

• We were really poor in the second half. Williams looked electric in the first half, and Bayo should have scored. By after half time we were shocking... Barely touched the ball, and when we did we just gave it away. Morris didn't look very good, CMS barely touched the ball when we came on. Bayo struggled throughout. The ref was poor, and we were worse. Definitely work to be done

• There is no doubt that a Wycombe team with Kashket and Tyson are a different proposition but the former might never be now and the latter is not available until **** of course. Its crazy to think that Bayo needs a goal to boost his confidence, as I don't think I have encountered a player with such self-belief, but there is no doubt the team needs a Bayo with a goalscorer swagger as this beat a number of teams last year before a ball was even kicked.

• A game of two halves. We more than matched them for 45 minutes then started coasting and Doncaster clinically disposed of us.

1st goal went straight through Allsop and so I t he will be happy with the third either. The 2nd was well worked

• @DJWYC14 said:
    A game of two halves. We more than matched them for 45 minutes then started coasting and Doncaster clinically disposed of us.

1st goal went straight through Allsop and so I t he will be happy with the third either. The 2nd was well worked

The first was deflected and the third was from close range. Thought he looked secure throughout, especially on crosses.

• Anyone able to work out what Bean was doing left midfield? In Gaz we trust, but....

• We were totally overrun in midfield today. Not enough legs. Bean was utterly woeful. Should have been off long before he was subbed. Freeman showed more purpose in 10 or 15 minutes than Bean did in the entire match.
    Thought Donny looked a yard or two quicker all over the park. Apart from Williams , who terrorised then in the first half.
    Wish we’d had more of a go at them. They were rank average in my opinion. We went not to lose rather than try and win the game. Won’t be the last time we concede 3 if we just try and contain teams.
    Mccarthy coming in to the side will strengthen us no end. Gape and freeman in for blooms and Bean.
    Just have to put today behind us. Very poor second half cost us. I still think we will be alright.

• Playing Bean,Blooms, Morris, saunders in midfield isnt going to win us many games we had zero width think Freeman and Mackail smith should have started.

• I was surprised that Bean and Bloomfield both started today, I’m not sure they’ll start too many more together. Sounds like we missed too many chances in the first half, and then the pace of the game got away from us. No need to panic yet.

• Fortunately we have a manager and assistant that know the game and will make the changes that are necessary the majority of people on this forum are okay with that and the other two need to put on their big boy pants

• A few thoughts.

1. In the end we were well beaten but we were in the game for an hour and had we scored who knows....but no complaints overall.

2. Bayo isn’t fit. We need to find a way of playing without him so that when he’s got a knock he can recuperate without having to play on as it isn’t helping him.

3. I’ve got a feeling we may spend the early part of the season scratching around looking for the right formation. What worked in LG2 with O’Nien might not work in LG1.

4. Williams was dangerous and his performance was encouraging. He faded and didn’t offer any real goal threat but his pace was hard for Doncaster to contain. More to come.

5. Once again, Nick Freeman gave us the ability to carry the ball. We need to find a formation that accomodates his undoubted talents.

6. Morris did ok but no more. Not clear if he’s a holding midfielder. Odd the Bean was expected to play on left and Saunders on right.

• Randell looked good on the break but you need more than one mobile player on the pitch to play on the counter attack.

Bayo doesn’t look fit at the moment and I worry that we still don’t have another centre forward to play that role.

Some extra pace in that side from Tyson, Kashkett or Freeman starting would make a difference. But to my mind the squad still lacks a bit of mobility and power in midfield.

Morris I thought looked poor and off the pace. I’m sure he will improve.

Despite that, we did defend well for long spells and showed good determination to stay in the game until their goal changed things. With some better finishing both today and last Saturday could have been very different.

Ultimately, Doncaster were much better than us and we will do well to scrap for a handful of points in those kind of tough away games this season. But we can do much better than we did today.