Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

2»

Comments

• It's just a blip. Just a blip!

• You can't imagine a national newspaper would have someone at all the lower league games, so it seems surprising they'd put a defender of a team easily beaten 3-1 in there

• As much as I don’t like to single anyone out, I thought that was possibly El Abd’s worst game since his first few weeks with us and wondered if whatever happened to him in the first minute had had some kind of effect.

• @aloysius said:
    433 didn't work for us at the start of the season and it's not working for us now. I don't understand why we've returned to it after playing so well in a 442 this autumn.

My thoughts exactly I’m surprised that we’ve reverted back after playing so well with 442 and Samuel staking his place

• What happened to El-Abd in the first minute @drcongo ?

• @micra said:
    What happened to El-Abd in the first minute

Cut to head.

• Aah, thanks @Stewie63.

• ... in the opposition penalty area.

• I did wonder @LeedsBlue!

• he didn't cut his head, he lost his contact lens !! hence no bandage afterwards.

• It’s good to have gospel.

• Did he find his contact lens though Richie? It is no good telling us half the story.

• Judging by the following 89 minutes, no.

• @rmjlondon predictive post: 'He's not good enough to find his lens. Ainsworth just playing his mates. Luton are walking this league'

• @mooneyman said:
    Did he find his contact lens though Richie? It is no good telling us half the story.

Okay I’ll bite. Was the match suspended whilst 22 players and three officials walked slowly around, hunched over, eyes down, for five minutes before shrugging shoulders and carrying on?

My first and last attempt at playing American Football with mates in the park had just this scenario. Remarkably I found the lens which in a very small way made up for two fumbles, throwing an interception for a TD at my one series at QB and being toasted for a scoring touchdown at right corner. Then a 250Lb lineman/biker broke two of my ribs and I quit for good after 20 minutes of painful sporting humiliation.

• Would have been pretty pointless the officials joining in the search!

• @mooneyman said:
    Would have been pretty pointless the officials joining in the search!

Boom!

• Though I hate to contradict Richie, Dylan Hartley, the England rugby hooker, seems this season to lose a contact lens every single game without undue effect so it can't be that.

• Probably easier in rugby though isn't it. As most of the game is clattering into people. When only 50% of El Abd's game is that ;)