Skip to content

Can we do it?

2»

Comments

• prevailing mood around me pre KO was less realistic expectation that we would stay up but a determination to stand proud defiant upbeat and celebrate what the club had achieved over the last 20 odd years.
    For me hope and tension only really kicked in and the atmosphere palpably changed as Craig stood over his penalty and the thought occurred to all "F*ck me, maybe we could actually do this". Happy days, perhaps the best football day ever?

• I didn't believe until I saw the Jesuses (Jesi?)

I took a neutral friend who has seen hundreds of games at different clubs over the years and he said it was his all time favourite football experience.

The emotion at the end was better than any of our numerous previous achievements. So much was at stake that day.

• Any info on our causality list, hopefully a few are can take their bandages off and walk without limping and thus ready for duty this Saturday or a fortnights time.

• @Rolo said:
    I don't get all this "not being very hopeful at Torquay" stuff. I drove down full of hope, knowing the team could beat already relegated opponents and knowing that an early goal would send nerves around the Northampton and Rovers crowds, which would then transmit to the players and hey presto, they balls it up!

Blimey. Hope you had a wager on it. Rovers at home only needing a draw against a team with nothing to play for. I went to Torquay with hope but no expectation.

• @Watford_Blue I never gamble, but the feeling I felt at the final whistle that day is worth more than money! Guess I'm in the minority then - took me a few days to recover from the home defeat to the west country goons and I came to the realisation that needing the win was a good thing - none of this "draw might be enough" uncertainty. Also, the fact we had one of two teams to catch was an advantage.

• Sometimes it easier to focus when its nothing but win will do, other possibilities cloud the situation

• Better hope we don't go to Northampton just needing a draw then

• My vision is, we draw with Morecambe, Luton beat Southend but Bury win their game. Meaning anything less than a win on the last game for any of us would be unlikely to be enough.

• Bury will win both, southend will pick up 4 points and so will we, leaving us all on 85, but we will go up on goal difference. What a scenario that would be.

• Didnt we pip Bury on goal difference before under GW?

• We pipped Bury on Goals Scored under Taylor.

• That was under Peter Taylor in 2009.

• 2008/9 season by 1 goal I believe.

• 2008-9; Awful last game of the season vs Notts County, we lost and Bury hit the post in the last few minutes when a goal would have given them the third promotion spot. Weird game, losing at home and then celebrating promotion.

• Who ever has Fred's shooting boots, can they please return them in time for the last two games of the season please, as a goal or two at the end of the season from him will do very nicely.

Thank you

• Yes. it was all a bit embarassing as we had to hang about a bit and wait for the Bury result before we know whether or not we were up!

• And the game was dreadful. Lost 2-1 to a mediocre Notts County side. Bury will be dreading the possibility of history repeating itself.

• A thoroughly weird afternoon. A huge expectant crowd, a nervy Jamie Young in goal, the anxious wait at the end, shouts of 'Taylor Out!' from the Woodlands, and the infamous rope to keep back the celebrating hordes on the pitch.

• I came over for that match; fully flat after the loss and more relief than joy at going up. This season is an entirely different proposition due to the sheer improbability of it all.

What a springboard Torquay was, taking us up to this point. Two winnable games to secure promotion. Must go for it and not consider less than winning.

Love supporting Wycombe, every game a cup final.

COYB!!!!