Skip to content

Match day thread: Luton FA Cup

Comments

• Morris cup-tied by Shrewsbury. Looks like 4-3-3, lots of attacking options on the bench.

• Only six on the bench. Presume Charles is injured too. Good to see Stewart back in the squad. Hopefully Tyson not too far off either. COYB!

• Darius picked up a knock in the week according to GA pre-match

• we need Tyson back big time!

• This is a worse feeling than the ongoing New Owners thread! Testing times.

• It was always going to be a tough one.
    But always such a shame going out so early.

• Gutting especially against such odious opposition.

• Did we give it our all?

• I wouldn't say there were any poor individual performances as such, but we were seriously under-strength, didn't really create much, missed possibly our golden chance to equalise and then a terrible mistake for their second after which it was game over really. But overall, we played reasonably well as circumstances possibly allowed. Lu'on just have far more resources than us. Beanie MOTM for me. A real workhorse performance.

Ainsworth's post-match interview seemed slightly geared towards encouraging outside investment, I thought, but maybe I was reading a lot into it.

• Although Bean did his job well, he clearly isn't up to the standard required, watching the ball bounce off him is embarrassing.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I wouldn't say there were any poor individual performances as such, but we were seriously under-strength, didn't really create much, missed possibly our golden chance to equalise and then a terrible mistake for their second after which it was game over really. But overall, we played reasonably well as circumstances possibly allowed. Lu'on just have far more resources than us. Beanie MOTM for me. A real workhorse performance.

Agree with this. No one looked shocking, we just looked slightly second best everywhere.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I wouldn't say there were any poor individual performances as such, but we were seriously under-strength, didn't really create much, missed possibly our golden chance to equalise and then a terrible mistake for their second after which it was game over really. But overall, we played reasonably well as circumstances possibly allowed. Lu'on just have far more resources than us. Beanie MOTM for me. A real workhorse performance.

Agree with this. No one looked shocking, we just looked slightly second best everywhere.

No and we had some decent moments. Not torn apart, just overall somewhat outplayed. Onwards to Sunderland.

• I thought Bean had a really good game did his job which is to break up the play his energy was great. Id have liked to see Freeman tho as i thought we lacked creativity didnt ask them enough questions. On to Sunderland next week cant wait hope we take a good numbers.

• I know the diamond has worked at Luton previously, though we'd been playing well recently with 442.
    I'm sure Samuel is a nice guy and he does work hard (which should be a pre-requisite) but I didn't see anything from him today that CMS wouldn't have done better and he was totally lost against their no.5.
    At least it wasn't too far home, concentrate on the league, etc

• It shows how much magic the cup has lost when I would rather win there in the league anyway.

• Gareth Ainsworth’s post match interview with Phil displays all the class that the Luton fans who have infiltrated the forum tonight are clearly lacking

• Depressing town, depressing ground, depressing result. We can at least concentrate now on priority # 1 - staying in League 1.

• @LordMandeville why is staying in the league no1 priority when we have a mid-table squad?

• @Shev said:
    It shows how much magic the cup has lost when I would rather win there in the league anyway.

I would rather win in the cup

• @LordMandeville said:
    Depressing town, depressing ground, depressing result. We can at least concentrate now on priority # 1 - staying in League 1.

don't forget depressing manager also....just a vile place !

• It doesn’t have to be either or though does it?

The suggestion that getting knocked out the cup somehow boosts our league chances is a complete myth.

I’m in the Alex Ferguson school of thought - go out and compete to win every single match you play whatever the competition as winning breeds winners.

There’s no solace in getting knocked out of the Cup.

• Yes, I didn't think it was an either/proposition (how strange would that be!). I also don't think losing in the cup helps you in the league (unless the more indirect problem of a long cup run causing fixture backlog and attrition).

I simply stated if I could choose either, I would choose winning in the league. (I am aware I can't choose). And also that it is a shame I feel that way, based upon how magical the cup seemed to me as a kid.

Staying in L1 this season just appears more important this year, and if we could damage Luton's promotion prospects in the process, so much the better.

• sadly we don't look scoring a goal, and need Tyson back pronto and tbh we also missed Morris massively and Blooms.

• I agree that those three together would make a big difference. Add Bayo into the mix (but with minimal hoofball) and stir.

• If only we could have two or more consecutive games with the same back four (preferably including Anthony Stewart). A lot of goals against do seem to come from the left side of our defence. If only Darius Charles could stay fit, it would be interesting to see how he might perform in that area.

• Too many “if only”s ! Quite telling, that.

• Losing against one of our league one rivals (painfully higher placed)in the cup is disappointing but not the end of the world. As long as we stay up and stay in business I'll be happy this term.

• I don't think Bloomfield will be a first choice starter if we stick to 442 - surely Gape, Thompson and Morris are all ahead of him in the pecking order now.