Skip to content

Potential new owners

Comments

• Andy I agree, but how can you put a season ticket in a company name? For corporate maybe, but not for general season tickets, they'd need a named person generally. And if you're not them, you're not coming in!
    As if!

• The board have virtually signed the club over to the Americans. 500k is an insurmountable loan to repay on our turnover in such a short period as well as still trying to run a viable league club.

• This is as embarrassing as when Steve Hayes lost his rag because fans were bringing their own sandwiches to games rather than spend money at the kiosks

• At least we had a decent stock of crisps in the Hayes era!

• @Malone I am sure Dev is working on a long e-mail which will prove that in certain circumstances with the information being supplied being possibly correct and possibly not on the whole given that the ground can never be taken over and sold for homes while Wanderers get the boot and the Americans will probably not really want their money back possibly this is clearly not the case.

• I tend to think the "no sharing" bit on season tickets is something a bit like copyright law, they have to talk about it and appear to be acting though, you get a sizeable discount over normal one off day tickets so they can't really condone people sharing who might otherwise pay full price, doubt it will be enforced with much effort. Part perk for owner, part introductory offer as people have stated.

• I would suggest in light of the charge being made against the stadium and the trust not telling anything about it, the chances of them persuading members to vote this through are slim to say the least. I have lost all faith in the Trust Board especially Trevor Stroud, he is chairman of the football club and this is happening on his watch. Quite how they have burned their way through nearly £500,000 in such a short space of time is incredible. They are supposed to be protecting the club not putting it at risk.

• Thanks @Steve_Peart. It’s clear the trust have broken their own rules re:the charge on AP, does anyone know what options are open to Trust members at this point?

I’m assuming people laughed at the idea of photo ID...

• @StrongestTeam you are of course correct. The club don't want you sharing the tickets, they want occasionals to buy their own tickets. Which is fair enough.
    But it's one of those things, we all might miss the occasional game, and a lot will shift the ticket on.
    For a few seasons my exiled mate was pleased i got him a bit of money back for his missed games (living 100s of miles away), and without it he definitely wouldn't have bought one.

And without one, he would have come less and less....meaning far from the club losing on this arrangement, it's at worst neural, if not better for them in his situation

• @BeaconsfieldBlue, I can't remember "no" camp comments being referenced last night. Personally, I can't understand how anyone can say they are going to vote yes or no, before they have seen the proposal.

I said last night that the club used to officially allow season ticket transfers, I had that in an email from Karen Murphy, Head of Commercial at the time (she has been Commercial Manager at Beechdean since leaving the club). It would be self-defeating to enforce it, the club are not losing anything, only gaining food and drink sales and maybe gaining a new fan, as @mooneyman said.

One extra thing on catering, for the Coventry game they deliberately over-recruited to make sure they had enough staff. They ended up with two extra staff, which the ABM man said was perfect. They seem to have got over the staffing problems from earlier in the season.

• A_WorboysA_Worboys
    12:50PM Flag
    1) Time to explore alternative investors & a different route forward.

Why. The Yankees haven’t even put forward there final proposal to the Fans yet. So not sure ‘alternative’ is needed.

• @HG1 said:
    I would suggest in light of the charge being made against the stadium and the trust not telling anything about it, the chances of them persuading members to vote this through are slim to say the least. I have lost all faith in the Trust Board especially Trevor Stroud, he is chairman of the football club and this is happening on his watch. Quite how they have burned their way through nearly £500,000 in such a short space of time is incredible. They are supposed to be protecting the club not putting it at risk.

I would suggest the exact opposite outcome. The warning put forward by Stroud will probably be to the effect that if the members vote no, the club don't have any money to repay the loan so are in danger of going under. I seem to remember a similar situation arising around 10 years ago! Has Beeks written all over it.

• Kent cricket have had photos on their membership cards (the equivalent of a season ticket) to prevent sharing since I believe the late 90s. Not sure about other football clubs but it wouldn’t surprise me if some do it.

To me it doesn’t seem worth the costs involved to add photos to season tickets, even before considering the potential ill will created.

• I have bought 4 season tickets in the past, yet only 3 of us go regularly, we always used all 4 by bringing friends along, I do not buy a concessionary ticket (over 60) for me as a full price ticket allows me to ensure the tickets are always used.

• I understand the reservations about photos on season tickets, but it's really not a hard system to implement. It wont be prohibitively expensive.

When you buy a season ticket online, you'd just have to attach a passport style photo, which can be taken on a camera phone against a white wall in your house.

• @Fit2drop, a good example, a friend I sit with has two season tickets, so that anyone in our group can bring a friend to games. The club needs to understand the nature and logistics of groups of friends and family being a regular attendees.

• @mooneyman said:

@HG1 said:
    I would suggest in light of the charge being made against the stadium and the trust not telling anything about it, the chances of them persuading members to vote this through are slim to say the least. I have lost all faith in the Trust Board especially Trevor Stroud, he is chairman of the football club and this is happening on his watch. Quite how they have burned their way through nearly £500,000 in such a short space of time is incredible. They are supposed to be protecting the club not putting it at risk.

I would suggest the exact opposite outcome. The warning put forward by Stroud will probably be to the effect that if the members vote no, the club don't have any money to repay the loan so are in danger of going under. I seem to remember a similar situation arising around 10 years ago! Has Beeks written all over it.

I agree that is what most people will feel like and in many ways I do too but we must not let ourselves be rail roaded.

• How much additional income does the General Manager estimate would the club gain by having photo's on season tickets? If none, after allowing for additional costs and monitoring, what is the point. I would suggest that in the long run there would actually be a loss.

Ideally the General Manager needs a spreadsheet from Dev!

• All season ticket holders have to sing two verses of Wycombe Strong before being allowed in with their photocard, eh @Shev?

• Anecdotal evidence I know, but the people I've let borrow my season ticket for the most part would not otherwise be going. Actually extra revenue once drink, programme etc purchased

Not to mention they might really like it and decide to go again when they have to buy a ticket

The photo idea is as stupid a one as they've come up in a while, and shows a complete lack of understanding of what it is to be a supporter

• I buy three STs each year - one for me, one for my son and one for whichever mate he decides to bring to a game so he isn't stuck listening to a load of old gits talking about the glory days of Marc West or whoever. Introduce photos and the club will lose at least one ST sale and potentially 2 if son gets fed up with old git talk. Guessing it won't ever happen. Waste of resources if it ever does.

• The whole season ticket idea is to lock in loyalty. I expect we all know people who after they stopped getting one found the habit was broken, and there's always a reason not to bother going.

Therefore, the sheer counter productivity of the implied thread of such a photo ID system risks reducing season ticket holder numbers, who having broken the habit, simply don't come as often.

My old pal didn't renew a while back. Has only made half the games since, when he'd never miss them before.

• @DevC with regard to @mooneyman 's post can you speculate the possible gain and loss over photocards following both a YES vote for investment and a NO vote please.

• edited January 2019

Hopefully this idea isn't top of our General Manager's to do list!

• 'Forget about getting new people in...what can we do to piss off the ones we already have?'

• I've had a quick google, and Cardiff fans have photos on their season ticket.
    https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/siteassets/image/201819/201819-season-tickets/faq.pdf

Liverpool seem to be in the throws of introducing photos on theirs.
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-launch-season-ticket-amnesty-14270585

• Stop talking about photos on season tickets, it's a dead cat and you're all falling for it.

• I would just like to say that my reporting on the photo card could have been worded better, and was not a true representation of what Michael Davies said.

He was asked how the club could prevent the sharing of season tickets and he said that the most logical way was by photo id on a card. He believes this is not justifiable and an utter waste of money and time, would not be proposed by him and is not the way forward.

I am pleased that Michael contacted me to put the record straight and I welcome any other feedback on last night's comments.

• @drcongo Well said. total non starter.

• @drcongo said:
    Stop talking about photos on season tickets, it's a dead cat and you're all falling for it.

This.