Skip to content

Match day thread: Walsall

13»

Comments

• Fine as far as I could tell.

• Warmly applauded and mercifully none of the chants previously aimed at some of those that have chosen to move on.

• @Wendoverman , well put earlier.
    The whole point of battling to get promoted is to test yourself against better teams, and inevitably that means results will be harder to obtain.

After a slightly worrying start, we've pretty much held our own and come back too late in a few narrow defeats.

• Holding our own or even, just conceivably, beating the free-scoring (and occasionally free-conceding) Peterborough on Saturday would be further evidence that we are more than capable of staying up. One thing seems certain - it won’t be a nil-nil draw.

• @micra said:
    Holding our own or even, just conceivably, beating the free-scoring (and occasionally free-conceding) Peterborough on Saturday would be further evidence that we are more than capable of staying up. One thing seems certain - it won’t be a nil-nil draw.

That's the spirit @micra, well said.

• Any doubts I had that we are good enough to stick in L1 pretty much evaporated when we got an away draw at Portsmouth after bossing parts of the game. It does not mean we will stay up, but we are definitely good enough to!

• I also think there are ways in which this season is LESS stressful...losing or drawing hurts more when you are pushing for promotion and need to end up north of 80 points instead of 50. We still need to win, but one in every three games would more or less do it.

• @Shev said:
    I also think there are ways in which this season is LESS stressful...losing or drawing hurts more when you are pushing for promotion and need to end up north of 80 points instead of 50. We still need to win, but one in every three games would more or less do it.

That's my attitude too. Last year I was pretty gutted if we lost, but this year it doesn't matter as much because the goal is to stay up

• It’s a lot less demanding and the reduced pressure enables the players to enjoy their football more and probably play better as a result. Really excited about Saturday as it is another potentially exciting encounter with a big crowd and a great atmosphere on a dry bright warmish afternoon. A real litmus test.

• Litmus paper, now that brings back memories of bunson burners et al.

• @micra - Hopefully you are not the Michael Fish of this forum!

• @mooneyman said:
    @micra - Hopefully you are not the Michael Fish of this forum!

Timely intervention @mooneyman. I’ve just checked a couple of other websites and The Weather Channel (US based and the only one to get the biblical storm of October 2013 Fratton right) talks of 13 degrees and 25-30 mph winds. Not even warmish therefore and perhaps a right spoiler for hoofball. Dry though!

• Not sure that many people actually realised he was on the pitch. Absolutely zero reaction one way or another, as far as I could tell.

• Are you on the right thread, @NewburyWanderer ?

• Yes, but I didn't update it before I posted. Lots of intervening posts! Talking about Russell Martin.

• I caught four carp that day, but I have to agree the sandwiches were fantastic!

• Thanks @NewburyWanderer. Must admit I was being a bit disingenuous - time of night and all that - but I did have to scroll back a long way!

Love the characteristic @LX1 quip.

• Bayo is still in his pocket I think, class player who we really should have tried to sign again.

@Wendoverman said:
    Non crisp related enquiry for those that went to Walsall...(and apologies if someone has already posted something on this) but did Russell Martin get stick/a nice welcome from the travelling Chairpeople?

• Ah Richie! Dependable. A post. A dig. Say something positive about the team you support.