Skip to content

Sunderland game looking hopeful

Comments

• While Sunderland away was always the big tick off trip and potentially one off ever meeting in the league (twice off?), the mix of this late decision, the cost, and the actually realising how long it'll take to get there, doesn't half make Ifollow come into the reckoning.

• obviously not a real supporter then !!

• @rmjlondon said:
    obviously not a real supporter then !!

A bit rich coming from a devoted Hatter!

• Makes me smile thinking about that bunch of teens/early 20s who'd retort " See you at Carlisle" to prove their "proper fan" status.

Ignoring that a lot of us have put in 15-20 years of supporting before they even knew Wanderers existed.

• Years ago at Swindon (a Boxing Day if my memory serves) there were a few Swindon fans in with us. Some of the pretend hooligans took umbrage at this and started shouting and waving their arms about.

Anyway, an oldish bloke and a young lad decided to leave and as they were doing so a bloke a couple of rows in front of me (must have been in his 40s) started trying to gee everyone up to attack them, whilst shouting "come on let's do the c**ts" (I swear I'm not making this up)

Long story short, I advised him to sit down and shut up or he might have someone his own size/age to deal with. His response? "I didn't see you at Stockport" (we'd played them a week before). His logic presumably being that if you travel away to Stockport then you are entitled to assault pensioners and children at Swindon.

• I cannot believe a team like sunderland with the squad they have and still getting parachute payments don't think they can put out a team to beat little old Wycombe at home with or without their 'internationals'

• Nice story @eric_plant , I can well imagine the type!
    Probably the same type who were slating Bayo 20mins into the Doncaster game in August, and immediately deciding that he couldn't "cut it" in league 1, after miscontrolling one ball.

@Wendoverman , are their call ups even all starting X1 players? The U21 players may not even be.

• @eric_plant said:
    Years ago at Swindon (a Boxing Day if my memory serves) there were a few Swindon fans in with us. Some of the pretend hooligans took umbrage at this and started shouting and waving their arms about.

Anyway, an oldish bloke and a young lad decided to leave and as they were doing so a bloke a couple of rows in front of me (must have been in his 40s) started trying to gee everyone up to attack them, whilst shouting "come on let's do the c**ts" (I swear I'm not making this up)

Long story short, I advised him to sit down and shut up or he might have someone his own size/age to deal with. His response? "I didn't see you at Stockport" (we'd played them a week before). His logic presumably being that if you travel away to Stockport then you are entitled to assault pensioners and children at Swindon.

Did you go to Stockport?

• And if not, why not.

• Aaah wise words from Richie a fan who never says anything positive about the team he 'supports'. I daresay his mum will drive him to the north east so he can tell everyone how we're not fit for this league.

• NB I rarely travel and do not fight old men and children after two cans of pop. Not a true fan.

• Sunderlands 1st choice keeper is in the Scotland squad for a kick off !!!

• Which half?

• @micra said:
    And if not, why not.

Punctuation, sir?! I'm glad you are ok by the way, to echo others on a different thread :)

• I'm not sure I've seen a goalie take a kick off before.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    I'm not sure I've seen a goalie take a kick off before.

I seem to remember the great Paul Hyde kicking off at his defence a couple of times.

• From WW Official today, so not definitely on yet:

"Sunderland have indicated that the Sky Bet League One fixture with the Chairboys on Saturday 17th November (k.o. 3pm) is set to go ahead as scheduled.

The match falls during the international weekend but at this stage it is the Black Cats’ intention for the game to be played.

Wanderers have received an initial allocation of just over 1,000 tickets for the fixture, with more available on request. Tickets will also be available to purchase on the day of the game with no price increase."

• Seems a strange status to write if they then call it off... why not wait a day or 2 to be 100%?

• they can't call it off as they only have 2 calls up currently

• @rmjlondon said:
    they can't call it off as they only have 2 calls up currently

Unless more players are called up after this weekend's matches due to injuries etc

• Sunderland Twitter now stating "set to go ahead as scheduled."

• tbh with you, they have nobody else likely to get called up and also missing the goalkeeper and central defender is a massive advantage for us.

@AlanCecil said:

@rmjlondon said:
    they can't call it off as they only have 2 calls up currently

Unless more players are called up after this weekend's matches due to injuries etc

• Bryan Oviedo will amost certainly get called up by Costa Rica, which will make three.

• The bloke in BT who told me he’d supported them for 45 years was very concerned about the likelihood of them losing Oviedo in January. He also said they were picking up an injury a game. They’ll be reduced to playing other clubs’ rejects if they’re not careful.

• he doesn't even get in the team, so I doubt he will matter. and the game is on and cannot be called off after tomorrow as I understand it.

• On what basis, Richie? I'd be pleased if you were right.

• My information is that Monday morning is the very latest deadline for a postponement.

• Thanks

• £30 million in parachute payments should ensure you can turn out a League One team in my opinion.