Skip to content

Match day thread: Scunthorpe

Comments

• YYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

• What a win. What. A. Win!

• Unbelievable what a way to win a football match

• Fantastic win, comeback, Good old CMS.

I'm as annoyed as anyone when Gaz is overly loyal to players out of form or ageing but the spirit is unbelievable in that squad and that league table looks very good tonight. Long way to go but wins like this will help massively.

• Fantastic win and we're now 4 points above the relegation places!

• My MOTM "The Drummer Boy", the only one on the terrace, it seemed,who actually thought we could still win. Well done for getting the chants going after that terrible start to the game.

• Beano going nuts in the commentary box at a late winner with 10 men - you could not make this up!

• Bigred is still writing out his ‘Ainsworth out, sack the p...k’
    banner for Tuesday night.

• Does Bean now get to wear a shirt that says "I Was There When CMS Scored"?

• Phenomenal game, such a range of emotions... We Are Wanderers! Never say die! Priceless three points! Run out of supeerlatives

And @Peter gets his wish next week

• Knight the hero

• What a day that was! That was as good an atmosphere the final half hour as we’ve had at Adams Park since beanie scored.

• Early in the season we were a little unlucky not to take more points from a few games. Today made up for that.

The team have developed a fantastic habit of bouncing back and turning bad defeats into a springboard. Today they did that all inside a single game.

• Please, Gareth, stick with trying out 4-4-2 - our biggest winner today.

4-4-3 did very well for us last season. But it tends to leave Bayo on his own, the other two strikers wide, the three-,am midfield at risk of being over-run...and Route One left as the only route used.

With 4-4-2 today, Paris and especially Fred gave Scunthorpe no end of trouble on the wings. More balls and movement into the box. More cover for Harriman and JJ (who needed it today). And CMS buzzing around at the front to pick up knock-ons from Bayo, or run on his own.

It's worth sticking with it and seeing how it goes.

• three man midfield, sorry.

• Bayo was MoM for me today. Won everything, hardly ever wastes a chance to lay off the ball to someone else intelligently.

• 4-4-3 , did we have the ref on our side for one match??

• And Bayo should have had a penalty.

• A few things made me smile today. The result and our performance obviously. Their 49 scored a good early and celebrated by einding up ....the Family Stand what a hard man he is. Their keeper wasting time so obviously while they were winning but haranguing the ref when we did the same when we were winning. Mr hypocrisy. Made me smile.

• Weirdest game I’ve seen for a long long time. Really thought after 10 minutes we were in for a long, demoralising afternoon and still not really sure what happened. Whether it was us getting used to the formation or Scunthorpe relaxing and losing focus or a mixture of both but from around 15 minutes in until Allsop got sent off (can’t make my mind up if he did have to quite take their guy out like he did) a team that had looked slick and a class above us at the start, created nothing.

Fred’s goal was a real thing of beauty and from behind the trajectory time stood still watching it arrow towards the net.

CMS’s winner is one of those moments that makes you think that the thousands of pounds and hours you’ve wasted your life following our club are, in the end, worth every precious penny and second.

• Carlisle 2 with cms as beanie. Apart from the atrocious first ten I thought we played really well against a good side. Fred's best game perhaps? And a great goal. Paris, Thompson and gape were excellent as was the much maligned( by some) McCarthy. Gape's undeserved yellow seemed to galvanize the whole team in my opinion. And three great goals...I was in the corner for cms...what control from a player I thought had been quite ineffective for long stretches and had just been suggesting should have been subbed. JJ definately has a target on his back I reckon they were running at him for fun. I was in two minds about the sending off but I thought jj's yellow was a disgrace. The ref was appalling. As we had nothing to.protect we ran and ran and deserved the win. Need to start quicker and @bigred football matches are in two halves of 45 minutes each...sometimes 50. Might be better to critique the players/manager after the game. Yves looked like he had just ambled down to the ground for a bit of fun. I assume gape and Ricky are suspended for Tuesday?

• Yes..bayo was also back to his best. Three points huzzah!

• One to file in the all time great comebacks pile.
    Had all the ingredients, ridiculously early goal conceded, then doubled before we'd even worked out what was going on, absolute screamers from Gape and Fred.

A controversial red card, with their player going right away from goal, and our keeper surely making a "valid attempt" for the ball - which is now not meant to be a red card is it? Let alone the covering defenders.

Then, that once a season moment, where a chased down defender not only leads to winning possession, but the ball bouncing right where we wanted to, mixed with some super cool CMS work.

Incredible.

Need to follow this up on Tuesday now.

• Great win but come on @Malone, it was a definite red card.

• ‘Making a valid attempt for the ball’ is only a factor if a penalty is given. It’s irrelevant if the foul is outside the box. Allsop’s lunge was an easy red.

• I stand corrected on that one then. But Wycombe sound radio geezer said it was harsh too.

• What a match - I thought we were in for a pasting after they got the second.

I thought we started more of a 433 but quickly changed after the shocking start to a 442 which was obviously more suitable given the personnel.

Thereafter we were excellent, tenacious and dominant. All 3 goals were fantastic.

Allsop incident was an obvious foul but it appeared to me that a) McCarthy was back as cover and b) the striker kicked the ball away from goal into touch, so a yellow seemed fair. Wonder whether we appeal to get it downgraded?

Fred and Paris really stepped up today after being so disappointing at Coventry and 442 allows a striker such as CMS to be closer to Bayo which worked a treat. We pushed them back and they couldn't cope.

Extra mentions to Gape and Thompson though, as they had to get through a lot of work with just two central midfielders.

Bayo was treated right by the ref and caused havoc. Disallowed goal was fair but he could have had a penalty for a shove. His assist to lay off Gape's goal was great.

Right behind that Fred effort, it was perfect.

And CMS winner - pure desire and no little skill to have the composure to keep the ball under control with 2 headers and the finish.