Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

13»

Comments

• I think he is likely to retire at the end of this season. He’ll have proved his point that he’s good enough for League 1, he’ll have plenty of opportunities outside of playing, and I think he’ll want to go out at the top rather than fade away.

• Tend to agree with that @Chris

• @rmjlondon said:
    2 weeks ago he was shit !!! Fickle much

Is that a type of cheese Richie?

• @rmjlondon said:
    2 weeks ago he was shit !!! Fickle much

I don't think you'll be able to quote either Fame or I calling him shit?

• @rmjlondon I think you're mixing up the Gasroom posters with Facebook posters richie.

• It was mostly fb people going overblown, but there was definitely a few on here that reckon Bayo is now best used from the bench.

• @Malone said:
    It was mostly fb people going overblown, but there was definitely a few on here that reckon Bayo is now best used from the bench.

I have to admit I was one of them, though I would still contend that the best we have looked this season going forward was that spell with CMS leading the line, when we were playing it on the ground against Plymouth, Bradford and Charlton. It is definitely good to have more than one plan of attack, either way!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Whether he's a unique strength powerhouse or not, at 36, and playing 50+ games a season, it certainly makes sense for him not to start every game. It's been phenomenal how many he's started the last two seasons.

I wonder how far off Tyson still is.
    We suspected it was a long termer in the summer, but then we kept hearing how "close" he was. You surely can't be close for 2 months +

• I think he probably is going to be most effective from the bench, despite scoring so many times consecutively. It doesn't mean I think he's shit.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It's probably more down to the game and the opposition.

He'll have some games where he just doesn't make any impact, whether it's starting or coming on. And vice versa.
    The management skill is best picking which is which.

• edited October 2018

Having read many learned posts regarding ownership from @marlowchair @DevC @glasshalffull @NiceCarrots et al...I suddenly realised I cannot possibly make an informed decision without the 24 word or less inputs from richie and trev.

• I confess that after 15 minutes on Saturday I was very concerned. A half hearted press and nobody willing to put a tackle in meant Burton had oodles of time on the ball.

Eventually we got into the game and started to scrap harder to make life difficult for Burton, forcing some errors. For me that is absolutely crucial to our style of play. With three attackers on the pitch we can’t afford to let the opposition have comfortable possession as they will knock it round our three man midfield too easily. I think with so many attackers on the bench we should be asking the two wide forwards to run themselves into the ground for and hour and then make changes.

Crucial three points in the end and some good performances. If we can keep grinding out results we’ll be fine.

• @rmjlondon I can't think of a single post on here where Bayo was labelled "shit", unless it was by one of your fellow resident Gasroom lunatics, by all means repost them and prove me wrong. Suggesting that Bayo has had the occassional poor game, or should sometimes be used as a substitute isn't calling him shit either. I don't know why I feel the need to point this out to you, but here we are.

• To be accurate you may have to preface that with ‘before he had played half-a-dozen games for us’ @Jonny_King.

Back at the start I seem to think the consensual view on here was that he was indeed ‘shit’ (or middle-aged polite variations) and that it was a monumentally bad decision to sign him.

• I don’t think that was an agreed consensus even before he signed.

• It certainly wasn't the consensus, but there were a lot of posters who believed he was some sort of comedy signing for the social media element.

In fairness, it was in the context of just watching a season of two vet strikers who looked fairly mediocre.

• If people thought he was shit when he signed for us, and only now hold a different opinion two and a half years later, they can't exactly be called fickle. In fact quite the opposite!

• @OxfordBlue , even the most shimmering ape, the most odious drone, the least intelligent goon on the facebook page wouldn't have dared say he was anything less than excellent for us the last 2 seasons.

Unfortunately that seemed to last about 20mins into the second game, when he had the audacity to miscontrol a ball at Doncaster away.

• That is your 'shimmering ape' in a nutshell isn't it...demand absolute loyalty, but give none. Thank Christ Bayo hasn't stopped at the Tesco Express. I hope he gets another good haul of goals for those who bleated that AFC got rid of him because he wasn't good enough for League One after the first game.

• Yep, that particular line is infuriating gash. They don't know if it was a money thing, whether he'd fallen slightly out of favour by then (which is what I think i remember - some late benchings?), or any other reasons, rather than the manager making a conscious decision that he wouldn't cut it.

We've seen Premier league and championship players struggle to deal with him, when the service is right.

The further into the season we get, the more I hope talk of how brilliant we were for spells in the Bradford and Plymouth games wear off a bit, rather than being used as "evidence" for why Bayo needs benching.

• Thought would be interesting after 12 games to compare our current 12 points and 17th place to our previous 2 seasons in L1....

After 12 games in 11/12 we were 22nd with 9 points
    After 12 games in 9/10 we were 23rd with 6 points (but would have been bottom except for Southampton's points deduction.

So far so good...

• It feels so much different this time round.
    Those years we knew our team was weak, we knew we had a large amount of players well out of their depth.

• I think we have a decent team, some good loans and are starting to find our feet. While there are still four teams below us, I am optimistic!!

• Encouraging to compare against 09/10 and 11/12, thanks. I think in those two previous times when we went up, we only just made it and then our squad felt weaker in the League One season.

This time we finished with more points in League Two and it feels like the squad has much more strength in depth than last season. However, the first 11 is arguably not much different in terms of strength with both additions and losses.

But is it me or does League One feel stronger this time around. Some of the teams in the relegation zone don't strike me as relegation fodder and could turn things around with a bit of confidence.

• @colonel_splaffy It's not only you: I feel this league is rather stronger then when last we were in it, which makes it more pleasing that we have made a stronger start points-wise. Apart from Blackpool in the first half (they improved in the second) and Burton on Saturday (who looked somewhat out of sorts, but probably can play much better than they did) all the teams we've played have looked pretty good.

• @colonel_splaffy You are right, to me League One seems so much stronger this time round than before. It just seems so much more of a leap compared to our previous spells. OK, the Blackpool match didn't seem much different to League Two last year, but most matches since then have been huge steps up - and to be honest, more often than not we have stepped up the quality ourselves to match the opposition.

• I have to agree that the games have been more exciting/ heart attack inducing (Luton and oxford) to be sure but we've not looked out of our depth.
    We are stepping up which means there will be missteps ahead but still optimistic.