Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

Comments

• Slow start maybe we should go back to doing those little shuttle runs other teams do before kickoff.
    However once we had a little success our confidence grew and we were on top by the half time whistle thanks to Bayo and CMS, second half was gritty a deserved win .
    Outstanding :Gape and CMS

• Walking out after the game, I heard a disgruntled Burton fan mouthing off about it being embarrassing" losing to us.

Where on earth would a Burton fan's sense of delusion come from? They were non league as recently as a decade ago, and were only a couple of points ahead of us today before the game.

• edited October 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2018

Big win today!

Here is what Gaz had to say after the game:

https://philcatchpole.com/2018/10/06/wycombe-wanderers-2-1-burton-albion/

And I also had the pleasure of speaking to Bayo:

https://philcatchpole.com/2018/10/06/adebayo-akinfenwa-200-not-out/

• Really needed that home win, great performances from Gape and CMS. Was sceptical about Thompson selection beforehand but he more than merited his place today.

• Randell Williams not being singled out for too much praise on this thread. Superb run and cross for the goal. Could have had another assist if CMS had converted in the second half. My MoM.

• They have just spent two years in the championship @Malone so I suggest this is why !!!

• Gape, CMS and Williams my men of the match today. CMS for his endless running, caused them no end of problems. Gape for his defensive work throughout and Willams for his runs down the left, harrying their defence and quality balls into the box. Good game. Also good burger in the FA today.

• Agree with the comments on Williams pin point cross for the goal and was giving them no end of problems on that side.
    They only opened the central portion of the kiosk in the FA although I didn’t have to wait. The service seems better under the new regime and the girl serving is far more likeable.

• @Malone said:
    Walking out after the game, I heard a disgruntled Burton fan mouthing off about it being embarrassing" losing to us.

Where on earth would a Burton fan's sense of delusion come from? They were non league as recently as a decade ago, and were only a couple of points ahead of us today before the game.

It must be hard to adjust to playing with peasants like us in our modest stadium when you have a long-established higher league pedigree and a magnificent home palace capable of housing as many as 6912, almost a third of whom can enjoy seating during games. It's understandable that only just over 200 of their immense average home following of 3074 thought it worth their while to come down the M1 yesterday.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Thought Thompson played his part well today. In the long term, I think we need Morris in there, simply to look at passing the ball forward. Blooms will run into the ground for the club, but isn't the solution to our lack of link between defence and attack.

Not really a fan of blooms but he worked his socks of today..almost like having a 2nd life.

• Prior to the match I was saying we have found a formula away from home to pick up points yet very open at home and Gaz hasn't found one for home yet.
    Today he did. Didn't start well but got into the match and gave very little to Burton.Deserved 3 points..mom for me was CMS followed by blooms but all played well.

• How was Burtons goal not flagged offside, the offender was dead centre to the goal and clearly made a move to try and play the ball. If that's not interfering with play, i dont know what is.

• Beano’s instagram suggests that Bayo will be fine by next week, laying down some dance moves at a house party celebrating his 200 goals.

• Hang on I think you'll find expert opinion is that none if the players mentioned above can cut it in league one and Gareth is tactically naive.

• CMS’ work rate is bloody impressive and he’s too damm good for teams to not be all over him. Think he gets my MOM for that with Randell, Blooms and Dom G all looking good. Bring back end of last season El-Abd and we’ll be OK.

And I fancy another cup run as well- with our attacking options and Gaz’s ability to get us up for a big game (nobody mention Preston) we might nab that Checkatrade thing - or FA cup 4th round. Ah what the hell, let’s have both.

• A welcome win takes us to a decent tally with a quarter of the season played, cutting out the errors at the back and scoring first certainly help! CMS is getting the plaudits on here and did win us a pen yesterday but watching the highlights I cannot figure out how he missed two absolute sitters from inside the six yard box with his head. He does give his all and is no doubt a threat but against better teams we will be punished for not taking chances like those. I know I am at risk of being called negative but it does seem to me that he needs more heading practice and to take his chances before the awards start flowing. Then again if that's the team that can win us games they should play every week!

• Sorry to put a dampener on things. Everyone played to the best of their abilities yesterday yet we only managed to squeeze past a bang average Burton. It is going to be a very long season.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Sorry to put a dampener on things. Everyone played to the best of their abilities yesterday yet we only managed to squeeze past a bang average Burton. It is going to be a very long season.

I don’t think we’re getting too excited. My definition of doing OK is finishing 20th.

• If we can beat the average teams then we should finish top half.

• Not if we lose to all the crap teams!

• @perfidious_albion , I'm not sure anyone was saying everyone was playing to their best! The second half was a fairly damp squib.

• @Malone said:
    @perfidious_albion , I'm not sure anyone was saying everyone was playing to their best! The second half was a fairly damp squib.

It wasn’t great but nobody played badly, we really are feeding off scraps most of the time, on the odd occasion when we can put it together (like the move for Bayos goal) we look League One but all too often it is still hoof n hope.

• It'll be interesting to see how we adapt our playing style if Bayo decides to call it a day at the end of the season.

Long ball will get you so far, but I'd argue the vast majority of the players in our squad suit a more fluid style that, when we adopt it, actually looks pretty potent, if a little naive at times.

Please don't take this as criticism of GA though, just a thought.

• It wasn’t great but nobody played badly, we really are feeding off scraps most of the time, on the odd occasion when we can put it together (like the move for Bayos goal) we look League One but all too often it is still hoof n hope.

The key there being that we did not let in soft goals like we havebin recent weeks. Scoring as we are and upping the conversion rate would turn our draws into wins imo

• I'm sure that CMS and indeed all of the team will be agreeing with you @NorsQuarters and trying to fix things ASAP. They certainly don't strike me as non caring group!

• @Jonny_King , thought you were gonna say if Bayo's out for a few weeks.
    Surely noone expects him to stay beyond this season? He was saying last season could be his last

• @Malone said:
    @Jonny_King , thought you were gonna say if Bayo's out for a few weeks.
    Surely noone expects him to stay beyond this season? He was saying last season could be his last

If he scores another 15+ goals I think he'll fancy another season, even if its somewhere else. Why hang up your boots when you're still banging them in?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 2 weeks ago he was shit !!! Fickle much