Skip to content

Match day thread: Southend

13»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Williams has been ill i gather, so he's not been left out for his performances.

• @TheatreOfChairs said:
    The highlights don’t do Darius Charles too many favours on the first two goals.

Could and should have cut out the danger on both goals.

I wasn’t that impressed by Darius. Sido is at times a genius but we need a settled back four with changes only when unavoidable- be good to have El-Abd and Stewart back then pick four and stick with them.

• @A_Worboys said:
    Looking forward to Fleetwood on Tuesday evening. There’s got to be a reaction to that dross today. I said at 2.55 it was the wrong team. You can’t play 4-3-3 with both Scott Kashket & Fred Onyedinma in the side. It was just long balls up to Bayo ad infinitum.
    I would personally have gone 4-4-2 but the question is: diamond in midfield or straight four across the width. Personally I would have gone with a diamond with Gape protecting Charles & Jombati in the middle.

Never been to Fleetwood before so looking forward to fish & chips followed by a massively-improved performance.

Andy, I’m not for one moment trying to defend a very poor performance but although you say ‘you can’t play 4-3-3 with Kashket and Onyedinma’ that’s how we played at Portsmouth where we played well and got a very good point. I think most managers would have named an unchanged team after drawing at Pompey although I certainly agree that it didn’t work today.

• I was really impressed with samauls in midweek, was he even in the squad today?

• Tactially naive twice in 4 days, GA needs to start getting results and I mean wins pronto !!!

• First sighting this season of that old favourite ‘tactically naive’! How long before ‘no plan B’ and ‘lost the dressing room’? Shouldn’t you be on the FB page?

• One minor highlight from yesterday’s game was an incredible turn from Bloominho on the right wing during the first half. Clutching at straws a bit here really though.

• Felt the script from the start was hoof it up to Bayo. Didn't see much creativity and as such they read our plan from the start. We were left horribly exposed at the back on several occasions and it could have been a lot worse. Yes we came back late on as we did in the week but can we start playing from the kick off soon please?

• I thought Bayo was back to his best yesterday and won 95% of his heading duels. The problem was that Southend won 95% of the second ball and we couldn’t get Onyedinma or Kashket into the game often enough.
    I agree that our defending was below the usual standard and the final scoreline gave the impression that the game was closer than it was in reality.

• @bigred87 said:
    I was really impressed with samauls in midweek, was he even in the squad today?

Ainsworth said we picked up a couple of knocks midweek. Assuming those were Samuels and Saunders.

On the subject of Charles, three games in a week after coming back from injury was probably too much. If Stewart and El And weren't both injured I doubt he's have been thrown so comprehensively in at the deep end. He looked knackered yesterday, understandably

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I agree with you @fame_46 but I really don’t see us playing anything but 433.

• Can anyone who can bear to watch the highlights please confirm whether their third was indeed yards offside?

• @OakwoodExile not 100% clear as he is out of frame when the ball is kicked but, if you then play it forward, he appears to run from a level position, so lino was correct.

• Looks well onside on the highlights

• Sido and JJ keeping him on by the looks of it.

Defending for the second goal is woeful. Far too easy and their striker gets between 2 defenders.

• A loss and the return of one post @Peter and the gleeful hatter Richie...alnost glad I'm on me hols.

• @Doob said:
    Looks well onside on the highlights

He looked so far off because JJ? who was level when the ball was kicked stops running and throws his hand up for an appeal. No doubt because he could see their player was in on goal with no-one there to stop him.

• To be fair I don’t think anyone in the FA stand thought he was in any way onside at the time. Brilliant decision by the linesman

• @Manboobs I said he looked well ONside so yes, I agree, JJ playing him on in the middle.

• @bookertease said:
    To be fair I don’t think anyone in the FA stand thought he was in any way onside at the time. Brilliant decision by the linesman

Agreed, from the FA I thought he was miles off at the time.

• @Manboobs said:

@Doob said:
    Looks well onside on the highlights

He looked so far off because JJ? who was level when the ball was kicked stops running and throws his hand up for an appeal. No doubt because he could see their player was in on goal with no-one there to stop him.

Thought he was a mile offside at the time. Looked at least half a yard onside according to the highlights. What a mess. What was JJ doing at centre back?

I don't like to target individuals but for all the talk of JJ needing help, he was woefully out of position several times yesterday, which led to at least two of the goals. Not helping himself springs to mind.

• It's not the first time we've gone up a division and had our set piece left back look out of his depth. Sandell anyone?

Hopefully JJ pulls through this.

We look really 50-50 about whether we can stay up at the moment.
    Lots of talk about how well we were playing, and a bit too happy about it without getting enough good results.
    I think we'd all take a couple of dreadful performances and stolen wins right now.

• I knew we would struggle but I still think we've got enough to stay up. Just.

• As things stand, with ten games played, there are four teams below Wycombe in the league. As long as it stays that way we stay up. No need to panic (although I will admit that this Southend match is the first one that has made me think that, just maybe, the team hasn't quite got what it takes for League One).

• I'm not too comfortable with these references to "Samuels". It's not his name. I agree that I'd like to see Alex Samuel given a chance tomorrow night though, ideally alongside CMS. Not least because their current visual similarity will confuse the Fleetwood defence for at least the opening 10 minutes, by which time we could easily have built a three goal lead.

• Does anyone know if Charlie Fox is still with the club?

• He has an eye injury picked up while training at QPR

• @rmjlondon said:
    He has an eye injury picked up while training at QPR

Has Joey Barton visited Lotus Road recently?