Skip to content

25 years ago today

2»

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    First Division I suppose, but the classic Vinnie Jones jumping on the leg of a prone Gary Stevens who had already been felled by John Fashanu in front of a lino thus ending Stevens career has to be up there as one of the worst!

This one is a bit of a myth. Dreadful unnecessary challenge but he played on for 4-6 years. (Google can't decide on whether the incident was 86 or 88 from a quick look) but he did play on until 92.

• The triple whammy on Claudio Caniggia by three Cameroonian hitmen in the same dribble (the third and worst, being a straight red for Benjamin Massing) always sticks in my mind - not least because it was the opening game of Italia '90. The commentator (it may have been our very own @glasshalffull?) described it as a 'brutal assault', I recall.

• He did indeed play on Mr Malone, but wikipedia (which as we all know is totally accurate in all things) claims despite moving from Spurs to Portsmouth in 1990 'He had never fully recovered from a knee injury suffered in November 1988 when heavily tackled by Vinnie Jones.' When a stylish player like Vinnie tacked you you stayed tackled for some time I suspect...

• @LeedsBlue said:
    The triple whammy on Claudio Caniggia by three Cameroonian hitmen in the same dribble (the third and worst, being a straight red for Benjamin Massing) always sticks in my mind - not least because it was the opening game of Italia '90. The commentator (it may have been our very own @glasshalffull?) described it as a 'brutal assault', I recall.

Remember that scenario extremely well. It was the opening match, which Cameroon won 1-0 & I was on my honeymoon. We and all the waiters in the hotel cheered as one when the third one got him, losing his boot in the process if memory serves me correctly?

• One of my favourite @glasshalffull commentaries was the world cup 94 when Leonardo put Tab Ramos in hospital with an x rated elbow to the face which left the American's jaw in pieces.

Kevin Keegan, the co-commentator proceeded to argue to an increasingly incredulous Parry that the decision to send him off was a harsh one

• Had a look for the video, but found the transcript instead.
    Magnificent stuff.

Keegan probably like a lot of pros found being held back by the shirt super frustrating and deserving of retribution, but then realises he's on tv and best play it sensibly!

I'm sure there was a bit more before the start, where Keegan was more certain nothing had happened.

Keegan: "Well I'd love to see that again, I didn't think he did that much wrong... Look, he's holding him".

Parry: "Ahh, Elbow"

Keegan: "Yeah but he's being held Alan"

Parry: "But that's an elbow though isn't it?"

Keegan: "Yes, but..."

And so on for a good minute as Keegan tries to staunchly defend his pro-Leonardo position, while exactly at the words "Yeah, but..." (at 52:32 of the video linked) the camera zooms in on Ramos clearly agony stricken and fearful face.

Credit to Alan Parry though as he tries to remain civil throughout, simply stating "I'll have to disagree with you here Kevin" while it takes until a whole two-and-half minutes later and half a dozen replay's before Parry, notably aggrieved at his co-commentator finally makes it clear "Nothing excuses that though surely".

"No. It doesn't" was Keegan's belated response.

I have to admit I quite like Keegan, he seems to be a nice guy and I'd enjoy to see him back in the game some time, but everyone has their regrets, and I'm sure his remarks on the Leonardo elbow are among them.

There's a dark humour behind it all though. The incident is horrific, but Keegan's reaction is that of your dad or granddad who grew up idolising the Estudiantes' team of the 1960s - "Just a bit of an elbow, nothing wrong with that".

No Kevin, that was assault.

• One of the greatest commentary moments of all time.

• If it doesn’t involve a baseball bat it’s not much of a to-do for Kevin.

• There'll be a Sheffield United fan along at some point to mention Dane Whitehouse.

• Reading about some of vinny jones more goonish behaviour, the dirty lunge that got him a three sec yellow card was on the aforementioned mr whitehouse.

• Roy Keene on the man city midfielder, that did end his career...

• @glasshalfempty said:
    If it doesn’t involve a baseball bat it’s not much of a to-do for Kevin.

I thought that was the other half of the glass for a moment and was shocked.

• edited September 2018

@Will_i_ams said:
    Roy Keene on the man city midfielder, that did end his career...

Another myth.
    He didn't even come off in that game! Then played mid week.

• @Malone @Will_i_ams Alfe Inge Haaland already had a knee injury...I'm not sure Royston's intervention helped, but he had been struggling for a while.

• Yep, the other knee was the prevo injury, and the one he retired from years later.

But yes, some goon monstering his studs into your leg so hard that it careers you in the air cannot help anything.
    The shock of that incident by today's standards is that no opposition player dared to remonstrate with him.
    These days, even a slightly late challenge has half the team sprinting in.

• @Malone heh heh I would not want to have been on Keano's angry radar when he was still playing!