Skip to content

Match day thread: Fulham Under 21's (EFL Throphy)

2»

Comments

• @NewburyWanderer was it still a standard Pukka pie?

If someone who saw it is able to explain how our defence lined up before and after the substitutions I would appreciate it. It left me a bit baffled.

Given our financial situation, should we perhaps be taking the revenue opportunity of this competition a bit more seriously? I know we have some strength in depth now but it certainly wasn't the first team and we could have missed the chance to win and get some more cash. A bit easier to take it seriously if we were comfortable in mid table I suppose.

• It was 3-4-3 with Thompson, Charles & Jombati in defence; Cowan Hall, Saunders, Bean & Freeman midfield; Samuels, Akinfenwa and Kashket attack.

• @Blue_since_1990 said: You all should have gone...

Hahahahaha! Hahahahaha! Hahahahaha!

• @glasshalffull thanks, it makes sense to me now! The substitutions in particular baffled me.

• @colonel_splaffy - I think that was a perfectly decent side with plenty of experience, which can be the difference against a younger side.

Good to give the fringe players some competitive game time too and a chance to press to get league game time.

The financial point is a fair one, but then you could argue that playing a full-strength team in these games, and knackering your first team, would be jeopardising our chances of staying up, and the increased TV money and away gates that this level can bring.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Excellent summary Fame46, I should have mentioned Yves & Blooms contribution.

• Quite an interesting back 3 for the last half an hour, of Thompson, JJ and Harri; not a centre-back to be seen! Seeing JJ in the box at corners, rather than taking them, required something of a double-take.

• You can get away with all sorts when playing a bunch of kids!

Could you imagine us ever playing either the starting, or finishing back 3 in a league game?

Hopefully the mental side of finally "properly" winning a game at home this season (not on pens) can carry forward into the league.

• On a side note about Thompson being lean and hungry - I wonder if we should be putting more people on 'sink or swim' six month contracts at the start of their time here - it really focuses the mind and gets the players taking the chances they're given. It worked pretty well for Scott Kashket - and sounds like Alex Samuels is also raring to go!

• Which other players do you think should only be contracted to January?

• Another £20k trousered

• None now Eric. But I like the idea of starting each season with a handful of raw recruits from the lower leagues / youth teams who are desperate to impress as they know their reward will be a longer contract. It's a model that appears to be working well for us.

• @Trouser_McTrouserson said:
    Another £20k trousered

Over the two games yes.

• @aloysius said:
    On a side note about Thompson being lean and hungry - I wonder if we should be putting more people on 'sink or swim' six month contracts at the start of their time here - it really focuses the mind and gets the players taking the chances they're given. It worked pretty well for Scott Kashket - and sounds like Alex Samuels is also raring to go!

It’s a great idea if you operate on the assumption Wycombe always operate from a position of adequate strength in every negotiation.

Players want job security, if they have a longer contract on the table from elsewhere they’ll take it. They will probably want higher wages if they accept 6 months so they have some savings if it doesn’t work out.

And what happens if we unearth the next Scotty Kashket but without the injury concerns? Someone playing 90mins every week and scoring a goal every other game?

At the end of their six months, with 15 goals under their belt, off they go to a Championship club.

• For nowt.