Skip to content

Alternatives

13»

Comments

• And one would like to think that, in due course and assuming that the company are able to recruit and train good quality staff, the whole operation will become a lot smoother with fewer people recounting their tales of woe.

• @Chris said:

. I don't know the figures involved of course, but it is easily possible that we make more money through a profit sharing deal.

It would be nice to know the rough figures as to how much they keep.Anyone know what is typical at other clubs. I wonder what their costs are like compared to our in house ones for that matter as I assume we get a share of the take after their costs are deducted. I had assumed our costs were quite low- cheap staff, cheap food products. Have they said theirs will be comparable - or hopefully less?

• the fact is if the service and quality improves we will make more money...they won't make any either if service is crap. Perhaps when a proper company have reset the dynamic and retrained and revived the operation we'll be better placed to take it over successfully once the contract comes to an end.

• @Manboobs said:

@Chris said:

. I don't know the figures involved of course, but it is easily possible that we make more money through a profit sharing deal.

It would be nice to know the rough figures as to how much they keep.Anyone know what is typical at other clubs. I wonder what their costs are like compared to our in house ones for that matter as I assume we get a share of the take after their costs are deducted. I had assumed our costs were quite low- cheap staff, cheap food products. Have they said theirs will be comparable - or hopefully less?

I am sure Dev can knock up a quick spreadsheet for you.

• Part of the justification for the catering deal was, I suspect, a response to the continued criticism, here and elsewhere, about the quality of service under the previous regime. But leaving that aside, from a financial perspective isn't the point that matchday catering is now in the hands of a business with expertise, who are incentivised to increase profitability by their deal to keep a proportion of that profit. The more profit they make, the more profit we make. I don't know the figures either but given the club's limited off field human resources, particularly resources with experience of running a successful match-day catering operation, and limited financial resources to invest in new hires and/or training, this deal seems to allow the club to focus its existing resources on things they are better able to do (hospitality for example, where the feedback is generally positive) and increase profitability there, while continuing to receive a low-risk profit from a third party who has every incentive to drive profit higher? Even if you just look at the profit from match day catering, the deal can make sense; but I think you need to look at it in a wider context.

• Absolutely. The caterers have catering expertise, the club management can concentrate on the football. It makes perfect sense and a vast number of other clubs and businesses operate using this model.

• @Chris said:
    Absolutely. The caterers have catering expertise, the club management can concentrate on the football. It makes perfect sense and a vast number of other clubs and businesses operate using this model.

I take your and @Wig_and_Pen ‘s points. It may well be more profitable from the get go and even if not, time and resource freed up allows growth elsewhere. But if burger and tea profit drops before elsewhere profit increases I’d hate to see that presented as evidence that we must bring in consortia X ASAP.

• @micra said:
    It’s not just about players’ wages though, is it Chris? Do we confuse @trevor further by referring to such incidentals as a cool quarter of a million for renovation of the Frank Adams stand roof, repayment of loans from Chairboys’ Funders, maintenance of perhaps the finest playing surface in League 1 etc etc ?

Get up on the roof with a roll of bin bags and a roll of gaffa tape, that'll do the job. On a serious note, not the greatest of workmanship, barely 20 years old that stand

• Materials rather than workmanship I would have thought. I’m no roofer (which may surprise some) but, from my vantage point and allowing for the fact that my cataracts are now ripe enough to be picked, the roof appears to be constructed with yellowing and no doubt brittle corrugated plastic.

• @Keith_Allens_Wig said:

Get up on the roof with a roll of bin bags and a roll of gaffa tape, that'll do the job. On a serious note, not the greatest of workmanship, barely 20 years old that stand

Why not just buy a couple of thousand emergency rain ponchos, the like you see at theme parks? Save a fortune.

• With global warming there'll soon be no need for covered stands. It'll be like watching football in Spain but with pies instead of olives.

• Don’t remind me. A few years ago Mallorca were playing Newcastle in the European equivalent of the Checkatrade. A fair number of us in the hotel decided to go by coach to the match. I checked with reception that there was covered seating as it had been raining heavily earlier in the day. Needless to say, when we got there, we discovered that, not only was it uncovered, but the seats were dripping wet and of course we had no means of drying them. It was an OK game but the highlight was a guy doing the most amazing keepie uppies at half time. Oh, and Newcastle won.

• Went to watch a Mallorca game myself a few years back whilst in Majorca... had completely the opposite experience... Sat uncovered in the boiling hot sun !! Had to keep drinking of course to try and help... but it was roasting... they won 2-0 But can't remember who against ? Sociadad I think

• I went to Majorca over Easter. It was a shame walking down the high street and seeing the relatively small club shop completely dominated by the huge Barcelona and Real Madrid superstores practically either side of it.

• LX1LX1
    edited September 2018

'OK, you now know the size of the gap you need to close if you don't want to go down the road of outside investment'

Who are you talking to dev? Genuine

• Read this post from the thread starter. Read it again

• LX1 All those who would prefer to remain fan owned if it is financially viable to do so.

Which I suspect is all of us

Including all those on the Trust board

• @Jonny_King you should have got the the train to the north west. Dec would ave celta

• @Jonny_King’s silence may be because he is as bamboozled as the rest of us. On the other hand.......

• Yeah, sorry, I'm completely stumped @LX1. Confident it's a zinger, but I don't have the wit to work it out!