Skip to content

Alex McCarthy

edited August 2018 in Football

Called up to the England Squad today.

There have been at least five ex-WWFC players called up to England Squads previously but I think he might be the first who came through the youth system. Anyone confirm? Anyone well done lad.

While we are at it, anyone care to list those called up previously?

Comments

• edited August 2018

You might be right Dev, unless Steve Guppy counts.

Are your five Taylor, Guppy, Phillips, Mawson and Dublin?

• Not aware Phillips was even called up for England.

Mccarthy is the sixth to my knowledge.

• Somewhat tenuous. Was registered as a schoolboy here, but signed a scolarship at Reading when he was 16. I am not sure we can claim him as a product of our youth system.

• Only at age-group level, which is what i thought you meant by 'squads.' Same for Steve Taylor. Ray Wilkins remains our most capped former player, but he hardly 'went on,' to play for England!

• strictly speaking, do loanees count as ex-WWFC players?

Floyd missed Heaton off his list if they do. Also Phillips never got called up for England did he? He plays for Scotland (we've had a few of those as well)

• I think you are right with Steven Taylor. I think he was called up for England but never played.

So Heaton, Dublin, Mawson, Taylor - all ex-loanees
    Guppy - senior player
    Mccarthy - youth team

One more I can think of - an "owned" player.

No call-ups before playing for WWFC don't count - there's a few of them.

• Didn't Matt Phillips score for england in an age group tournament, maybe even Toulon or a World Cup? Who am i thinking of?

• According to wikipedia he scored twice for England u19s, once on his debut and once against France, in the European Championship. He also played in every game in the following years u20 World Cup for England.

• But was never called up for the full England team.

• Didn't Frank Fielding get a call-up once? Didn't play if he did.

• Correct.

How many have played international football outside the UK whilst playing for us? I can only think of Mark Rogers and Kevin Betsy.

• Ooh I think you are right.

Another on the list. Not an owned player though.

• @DevC Ah yes, sorry I forgot that part.

• @floyd You could add a few more to that list; Leon Johnson and Aaron Pierre (Grenada), Marvin McCoy, Keiran Murtagh and (I think) Josh Parker (Antigua & Barbuda) and Reece Styche (Gibraltar).

I think Dean Morgan got his fist Monserrat cap just after he left the club.

• Parker and Styche were only on loan with us at the time of course.

• The lad who played for Gibraltar?

• Good work @Jonny_King. Forgetting Leon Johnson is all the worse since i actually watched him play for Grenada during the CONCACAF Gold Cup!

• Didn't John Granville play for one of the Caribbean nations years back?

• Aaron Pierre had a run-out for Grenada also

• Johnny Kerr was involved with the US national squad around the time he played for us in the Conference

• Not sure if John Granville’s 100+ appearances for us coincided with his international career with Trinidad and Tobago

• edited August 2018

Meanwhile, we have one "owned" player who went on to be called up for the full England team.

I can't immediately think of a player who made more league appearances after leaving Wycombe.

• edited August 2018

@Jonny_King Alas not. Tho the Gold Cup is second on my list of international tournaments i must get to, behind only the African Cup of Nations.

@DevC I'll admit you've got me stumped. Want to give us a clue? Was it within the football league era?

• His girlfriend was famously a doll.

• Jonny, think of the most famous doll in the world and then who was famously her swain.

I'm sure your sister will have one at home.

• Kenny Swain?

• Bingo.

Called up to a home international squad in the late seventies. I still have the programme somewhere probably in the loft. Didn't play though sadly.

went on to make over 600 league appearances. I cant think of an ex-player who has made more??

• phew! I was worried where that was going for a moment there.