Skip to content

Bryn Morris

2»

Comments

• I've chatted to Anya a couple of times as his family live near us and at the time we released him he was injured and there was serious doubt over whether he would ever play football professionally again; Glenn Hoddle's academy saved him and rebuilt his career. Likelihood is that even if we had retained him he wouldn't have become the player he did.

• I liked Anya as he was a direct run at the full back type of player. I also really liked his "huge bear" hairstyle at the time. Always took me back to Starsky & Hutch.

• Huge bear hairstyles...who could forget them @EwanHoosaami

• @johnnyking
    To blame Tony Adams for ditching Anya is quite bizarre as Adams left in 2004, Anya eas released in 2007 !!
    Whilst many seem to deride Adams spell with us, it's often overlooked that he brought Tyson, Bloomfield, Mike Williamson,Steven Taylor to the club.

• @ChasHarps My mistake - could have sworn it was Adams who let him go.

Adams did seem to have an eye for a player, but at the same time often overlooked who he already had. Simpson and Mcsporran went on to play at a higher level after being released, Currie joined Brighton in the division above and was then sold to Ipswich for 250k! Then there was the whole thing with Johnson, who he didn't release but did near-destroy.

• We sold McSporran to Walsall, he wassn't released.

• Did we? I thought he joined them after being released.

• edited August 2018

Walsall signed him just before deadline day in 2004.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/walsall/3568167.stm

• Adams did sign some good players

On balance he was an appalling manager

• Next you'll be saying I made up the bit where Chris Vinnicombe got injured in a game and we had no subs so they asked if anyone could replace him and I had my boots on me so I came on and scored the winner and then copped off with Julianne Moore.

• Ronnie Moore.

• @Chris Close enough...

• Surprised that anyone at the time thought Anya leaving was anything more than a formality.
    Had barely any chances, and showed next to nothing.

Occasionally a player you discard goes onto better things. It's one of those things.

• I liked Anya, possibly down to one-of-our-own-bias though.

• @Malone Each to their own. We've already established, almost painfully, that my memory isn't too hot these days, but I vividly remember being impressed by Anya at the time, not least his willingness to run at defenders and take them on. He was quick and had great control, an exciting player to watch. I remember other fans waxing lyrical about him too, including on the old Gasroom and there was particular delight that we had picked him up after he'd been released by the PNL youth team.

As the good Doctor says, there is also an added excitement when it's a player that's come out of your youth team.

• hmm....I think Anya's received more praise on here in the last two days than he ever did when he was playing for us

• Well if he has, he deserves it.

• From my memory of him he was a bit like we see Freeman now. A decent skilful footballer that it always felt was a little under-used. In my head he was used much as Freeman is now as a sub late on when it wasn't going that well, but of course that could just be my rubbish memory. Be interesting to see his appearance record as starting and as sub.

• 18 matches between 2004 and 2007 number of starts not specified. 5’ 6”. 29 appearances for Scotland, 3 goals.

• @bookertease According to Transfermarkt, he made 20 appearances for the club, starting just once.

• Pipped me there @Jonny_King. I trusted Wikipedia.

• @micra Wikipedia has him at 26, but I'm not sure I trust them for reliable stats.

• Thanks @Jonny_King. I am surprised that my memory was actually right for once!

• I remember him coming on as a sub away to Scunthorpe (Friday night match) possibly for Tyson? or Rhino? And Hayes was playing for Scunny. No other memories of that game other than that 'maybe' this was when he made his first ever appearance on the pitch for us?

• @LeedsBlue That was his first league appearance, although he previously made a very late substitute appearance in a Football League Trophy (LDV) match at Aldershot.

• Here is a quote from the Chairboys on the Net match report for the Aldershot game mentioned in my previous post, referring to Anya's involvement: "At 16 years and 8 months old he became the youngest player to appear for Wycombe since joining the Football League, albeit lasting less than five seconds."

• Tremendous stattery, @Uncle_T

• Whilst Ikechi made his debut at sixteen, he had the physique of a 14 year old. This never appeared to change in his time with us. Great pace and skill but bounced off of opponents and simply looked like a boy playing in an adults game. After his spell with Hoddle in Spain he joined Watford and was about twice the width he was when at Wycombe. Must have be something in the paella.

• I must have a different version

• Sorry bout that. Thought I’d deleted that remnant of a post I decided not to post if that makes sense.