Skip to content

Match day thread: Bradford

Comments

• Get in there!!! Fully deserved victory could have been 3-0 had we kept up the pressure! What a performance! Keep that up we'll be in the promotion chase!

• Brilliant result. Great to see CMS get a reward for all his hard work.

• Excellent scenes. Even with the goal I only just noticed they scored!

Heady heights of 17th!!

Enjoyable distraction midweek next. Hope for a bit of cup glory before a big face off v Luton.

• Rovers lose, and Plymouth take a 5-1 thrashing to a Peterboro team who almost seem to be good goalscorers year after year.

• Indeed, time for a long awaited-chorus of “17th in the league - ‘avin a larf”. Long may it continue.

• And in other news, HCBlue believes Kevin Nolan will be an unhappy man tonight.

• @HCblue said:
    Got an away attendance figure?

Not been given on Twitter yet.

• White shirts were a winner

• It feels like the season has finally started in earnest, and we can breathe a bit. CMS, Morris and McCarthy all great again.

• 15,563. Don’t know how many Wycombe but one of the commentators thought about 250, I think.

• Disappointing to see very little praise of Wycombe from Bradford fans online. Mostly just slating their own players/manager/board and calling us 'rubbish' or 'a pub team'. Someone else dragging out the old 'poor away support' chestnut, as if that's relevant in some way.

Classic case of deluded fans with 'big club syndrome', while little ol' Wycombe head home with three points. Looking at our September fixtures, we're going to be getting a lot more of this in the coming weeks!

• Kudos to the kit man for making it count! Phenomenal performance from all the boys today and GA deserves his plaudits for a formation that had us “first to every second ball” as the commentator rightly pointed out.

Had them on the ropes time and again; Morris had so many shots blocked I lost count so only right his goal should come from a deflection. Didn’t allow Bradford any time on the ball and they were forced into errors, we attacked with purpose and it looked more likely to be 3-0 until the ball fell kindly for their sub to slot in.

Resolute in defence, smooth transition to attack, we used the space well and got into dangerous positions repeatedly. Looking at the table after today’s performance I don’t fear many teams. Playing like that every week will see us challenging in every match. Not wanting to tempt fate but I see so many signs of quality that we are good value for this league.

From “Believe!” I give you “Nothing is Impossible...”

• Read through the thread on Bantam Talk - https://bantamtalk.com/index.php?threads/wycombe-wanderers-saturday-august-25th.946/. Don't see excessive criticism of us but certainly plenty of unhappiness with the state of their own team, which sounds relatively long-standing.

• Great away day was nice to see us passing the ball around Bryn Morris really cought the eye today shooting at every opportunity.

• What was this all about? Fron the Telegraph and Argus:“Wycombe fans amusing themselves with a dig at Plymouth boss Derek Adams. Not a popular man around the country ... “

• @Jonny_King, whereas it has been a little embarrassing to hear talk of us as "underdogs" when playing some fairly piddly teams in league 2, it's certainly not the case in league 1!

We really are underdogs when looking at the likes of Bradford. However, like today, we often perform well in that circumstance.

I wonder if Bayo is back to the Plan B we started using him as at the start of the season we signed him, before switching 100% to him being the centre piece.
    Whatever works best is the only thing that matters.

• @HCblue Cheers for that mate, hadn't seen that. Less complimentary on Twitter, but then that's Twitter for you I suppose.

@NorsQuarters On the commentary I think I could hear the Wycombe fans singing 'Cheer up Derek Adams, oh what can it be etc.' which was being sung on repeat at the end of the game on Tuesday. Presumably after they found out Plymouth were getting humped by Peterborough.

Looking at the Argyle forum after Tuesday's game, I see a lot of their fans are (once again) turning on Adams, despite him getting them promoted and then turning their fortunes around in their first season back in League One. He may be an arse, but I don't think they fully appreciate just what he's done for them. Fickle lot.

• Yes, @malone. As Plan B's go, I'd be very happy for it to be Bayo, so long as the Plan A is working.

• Morris a lad with that name will go far

• @Malone I agree we will have to alter (and are altering) our playing style in this division.

In League Two we were promotion contenders and teams would come to AP to defend for a point and we were often forced to go long and wear down stubborn defences.

In League One, teams are going to come at us and this gives us the opportunity to play a bit more football ourselves and show what we can do. Despite the 'not League One standard' comments we saw from a few individuals at the start of the season, I think we do actually have the players to do this.

Looking back at our cup games over the last few years, it's interesting to note we've often played some of our best football against teams from higher divisions. That ability coupled with the grit, determination and team spirit that GA implemented in L2 makes us far more dangerous a side than a lot of these super-massive clubs are going to expect us to be.

• Also, is it just me or a small sample size, or both, or is there a tad less overt physicality among CBs in this division? CMS was able to impose himself in the second half on Tuesday and it sounds like a similar picture today. If he's a viable front man in this division - and I felt he struggled to get in the game on the rare occasions he played CF last year - then it seems fair to run with it given his extra mobility.

• Got the early goal 2nd half (own goal I thought) and looked in complete control. CMS impressed today and put a real shift in. The defence looked solid the midfield worked hard and linked up well with other. Slight negative I thought Williams was ineffective.

On the whole it was a great day and 3 points I wasn't expecting when I set off earlier with my little daughter. Have got a far away pic of the away end but don't know how to upload it, can send it to a mobile if someone messages us a mobile number.

Oh and well done the management staff, happy days

• A match report and reaction from the opposition seem to be missing so far this season. Are they finished?

• @wingnut said:
    A match report and reaction from the opposition seem to be missing so far this season. Are they finished?

Sadly yes. I miss the oppo view so much I might start doing it myself.

• That would be great. Has there been some kind of falling out? Perhaps reports can be seen elsewhere?

• Bradford surely can't be that bad every week, they were non league standard. We were so dominant and 2-1 flatters them.

CMS so deserved that goal.

• Couldn't make it today, sounds like it was great, a bit of getting teams at the right time and a lot of sticking together could do us alright this season. Lots of teams will turn up expecting to roll over us based on very little.

• @DJWYC14 agreed - I genuinely can't understand how Bradford have won two games if that is their standard of football. Perhaps they had a problem dealing with the way we set up - maybe they were expecting Akinfenwa to start and struggled to change their plans.

• Based on the general mood on a couple of their forums I've been on since the game, it seems confidence is very low among supporters, even before the game. It's often reassuring to see the same brand and degree of negativity at other clubs...

• A shout out to JJ for the greatest corner I have seen in many a moon. "Would you like it on a plate from a millimetre out, sir?"