Skip to content

Match day thread: Northampton (League Cup)

Comments

• On a tangent - I know we were just as bad at one point, being sponsored by "Bucks New Uni", but god knows how universities can justify spunking cash on sponsoring the local football team (as in NTFC's case).

• Re. Yves time wasting: I thought it added to the entertainment and it made me chuckle, but very surprised he didn't get a yellow card for doing it a second time.

I will freely admit, though, that if it had been the Northampton 'keeper and not ours who was doing that I would have been absolutely fuming!

As another poster has already noted, Northampton scored the kicks Yves messed around on, so if it was a deliberate attempt to put the kickers off it didn't work anyway.

• @PBo said:
    On a tangent - I know we were just as bad at one point, being sponsored by "Bucks New Uni", but god knows how universities can justify spunking cash on sponsoring the local football team (as in NTFC's case).

I used to work there. Apparently it wasn't a cash sponsorship, it was a mutual arrangement where the uni loaned facilities to the club and vice versa. Don't know it 100% though

• In his defence, Yves isn't used to playing in competitive games, 12 in the last eight years I believe.

• edited August 2018

@PBo said:
    On a tangent - I know we were just as bad at one point, being sponsored by "Bucks New Uni", but god knows how universities can justify spunking cash on sponsoring the local football team (as in NTFC's case).

I disagree. Local universities getting their name out in front of school kids and parents seems pretty sensible to me providing the pricing is right.

• Can't say if his hair band broke or not but, in fact, the referee kind of made things more protracted (although keeping the pently taking waiting twice). He insisted that Yves put on his gloves and face the second penalty with his hair not in a band which resulted in Yves going through the process of taking on and off his gloves before the third penalty as well.
    As others have said all a little bit silly and embarrassing. Can't say that I approve of the "We know what we are" chant from the terrace though. That just made it worse.
    Finally a special thanks to the local idiot who threw a bottle of water into the pitch - for no good reason as far as I could tell. The referee duly collected it and passed it to the fourth official. Perhaps you would like to contact the club so you can collect it. Maybe pay the fine that's coming the club's way while you're there.

• Off the tangent...that forward line is the one I always thought would work if Bayo was out. Sounds like Freeman and Williams caused problems. How did CMS do in that role?

• That is at least consistent with watching him take a hair band off what looked to be about a 5 or 6 year old girl in the crowd! Most bizarre, but entertaining none the less.

• CMS played well, I thought, until appearing to struggle for a while with a knock about 10-15 minutes before full-time. He seemed to run it off, but was clearly tired by then.

His cross for the goal was superb, but his penalty was equally awful.

• @Twizz , I was stood very close to that idiot.
    Inexplicable behaviour, and even when the steward came up talking about "CCTV", this idiot started ranting about telling the ref to do this that and the other. Strangely he was allowed to stay, but a policeman was called and seemed to take a copy of his ID.

Not quite sure when chucking stuff at the pitch ceased to be at least a removal. Maybe as it was late on they decided this was the easier way - even though he was in a very sparse part of the stand right next to the exit!

• Hopefully the police will pass details on to the club.

• @Twizz I agree with your point re the chant about time wasting, it’s embarrassing and has helped us to earn a reputation that doesn’t reflect well on the team. As for the idiot who threw the bottle, we really don’t need fans like that.

• Must admit, I was "extremely uncomfortable" with Yves antics, of course, that provoked the Northampton GK to counter with walks half way up the touchline to swig barely a spit of water. Adding to the mix the "we know what we are"chant, only loads more bullets into the rifles of our critics. Listening to the away fans down the Hillbottom Road afterwards, that seemed to be the whole focus of their post match analysis. The match clearly had more/other talking points, (not too many), which would have gone by the way and what is left other than sour memories which will be carried into the next encounter with Northampton. It may be years, but you can bet it will be, just look at the Shrewsbury forum, re' the GA goal that never was, the "lightening" with Brizzle Rovers, the blatant time wasting away at Pompey. These things have a habit of festering and one day, come back to bite in the derriere.
    Back to the match, would be interested to see what others thought of the performance of Curtis Thompson? Speaking for myself, if he hadn't had his name on his shirt, I wouldn't have noticed if he was playing. That said, was it because he was "Ben Strevenesque", ie: a ghost, or was it because he did his job well and wasn't supposed to be a stand out player of attacking flair? I can't say he did anything particularly badly either, just didn't really notice what he did, hence my request for others to note in case I've missed the blindingly obvious. This shouldn't be a catalyst for people to jump on the guys back and write him off BTW.

• @glasshalffull said:
    re the chant about time wasting, it’s embarrassing and has helped us to earn a reputation that doesn’t reflect well on the team.

I don’t think the reputation stems from that chant. The instructed actions of the players in our team are probably the key factor.

• @EwanHoosaami I must be old as I cannot stand the gamesmanship, nor the 'We know what we are' chant. I know it comes under the blanket of 'game management' but it still irritates.

• Thompson was excellent and far better than Bloomfield who was utter dross on sat and last night !!

• After Northampton equalized and they started to retreat to their own half the last player decided to tie his shoelace whilst still in our half thus 'delaying the restart of play'. Clear yellow but the referee decided a word was enough. No suprise therefore that he tolerated the Yves pantomine. I was surprised Yves opted to stand adjacent to the edge of the 6 yard box during Northampton' penalties. Surely a position nearer the corner flag combined with the hairdressing could have taken the tie towards midnight. OJ Simpson could get a glove on quicker than Yves.

Impressed with Curtis' competetiveness in the air for one of our smaller players. Randell also excels in this area.

• there you are @glasshalffull richie said a positive thing about the team he supports...okay okay...I know he then added the usual. @HCblue can a poster bully the team? Just checking...

• @EwanHoosaami I didn't notice Thompson much in the first half, apart from shortly before the end of it when he tried to chase a Northampton player who was running with the ball, couldn't keep up with him and looked knackered. When Morris started warming up in the break and looking as though he would be starting the second half, I assumed he must be coming on for Thompson. It transpired he was actually replacement for Bloomfield and Thompson stayed on.

Maybe this prompted me subconsciously to look out for Thompson during the second half, but I was certainly more aware of him and felt he seemed to grow into the game as it went on. He made some good challenges towards the end, including a strong aerial one against a large defender that impressed me - not only getting to the ball first but directing it to a Wycombe player on the wing - and looked to have more energy than it had seemed he had in the first half.

My verdict, based on nothing apart from last night's performance: potential to be good for us if given more opportunities to get fully match fit and to develop greater on pitch understanding of his team mates and their abilities.

• The time wasting chant is silly at best, and at worst will simply get officials dishing out harsh treatment to us, even if we aren't actually doing any.

@Wisdom_Of_Harry , i disagree with the lace tying up thing being yellow, as after all, we'd have had about 20-30 a season as we have obviously utilised it as a specific tactic in the past, especially the play off season year.

Interesting though you mention Thompson and Randall's aerial ability. Thompson wins it by sheer weight and strength, while Randall is all athletic power, and has a heck of a spring.

Having said that, Thompson will do well to get in regularly I think.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Thompson was excellent and far better than Bloomfield who was utter dross on sat and last night !!

I trust you will pass on your wisdom to Gareth!

• Their forum only had one mention of goalie antics...mainly seem to be worried about a manager not sure of his best formation, midfield regularly by-passed by long-balls and forwards who worked hard but seemed goal-shy.
    Luckily we don't have to worry about things like that.

• No Bodger last nigh, isn’t a school night as it’s the hols. Have we released him? If so this is cost cutting gone mad. Riche let us know.

• @perfidious_albion I think he's part of a player exchange with a Premier League club in the North West.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @perfidious_albion said:
    No Bodger last nigh, isn’t a school night as it’s the hols. Have we released him? If so this is cost cutting gone mad. Riche let us know.

Nobody told him there was a match on!

• @fame_46 got to agree. I would have thought a midfield of Thompson/Morris, Gape and Saunders (if we carry on playing a three) would be a decent choice.

• I like the "We know what we are..." chant, taking it to be a self-effacing, tongue-in-cheek admission on isolated instances rather than a serious claim to identity. Like the other posters, I strongly dislike the institutionalised exercise of gamesmanship, whether by us or others. Browny's five minute goal kick-taking routine last season was embarrassing.

Post-goal lace-tying is more or less SOP for Bayo, isn't it?

• Just saw a video of the Kashket penalty. His confidence is clearly at rock bottom. God it would be nice to see him fit for a decent run of games.

• Pretty pleased with the performance, thought Randell was excellent, getting better with every game and a great header for the goal. Edged first half, dominated for a large period of the second, then we were punished for not taking chances and sloppy defending after I thought we'd got away with it after Yves penalty save. Glad to see Freeman get a game too, deserves more chances in an ageing side.

As for the penalties, embarrassing by Yves, just wanted to get on with the shootout. Not a fan of out gamesmanship at the best of times, but that was just ludicrous. Thought we were out after CMS dreadful penalty (other than that an excellent game for him) especially when the Cobblers kept scoring - pretty well-taken spot kicks by them to be fair.

Delighted to be through though, hoping for an away ground that I've not visited for a while.