Skip to content

Singin’ For Wycombe

2»

Comments

• My memory, which is famously treacherous, tells me that for some reason Michael Jackson owned the copyright on The Wanderer and refused to allow Wycombe to release the cover.

• I think that’s right Dr Congo. There was certainly some link between the two events. I remember that the copyright to The Wanderer was owned by Michael Jackson’s company and his people said they didn’t approve of parody versions.

• Parody?! How dare they!

• And yet Jackson released The Earth Song. Which is the worst tune ever released* and so pompous it’s beyond parody.

• With the possible exceptions of:
      Anything by the B52s (but especially Rock Lobster)
      Africa by Toto
      Hard habit to break by Chicago
      In the army now by Status Quo
  • Ex Wanderers player Billy Gallagher(bonqa) is the lollipop man on priory Rd.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Ex Wanderers player Billy Gallagher(bonqa) is the lollipop man on priory Rd.

It’s early, but that’s already unbeatable as ‘fact of the day’.

• @arnos_grove FINALLY! Someone else who shares my pure hatred of Toto and that utter gash song. I could have recorded the exact same song myself if I'd got my nephew to whine into a microphone and then chuck a cheap synthesiser down a flight of steps. Tip of the Saturday morning cap to you Mr Grove.

• You're just jealous that you could never come up with a lyric like "sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti"

• I admit that is a factor.

• Maybe not relevant but it seems when the wurzels asked permission to cover satisfaction jagger and Richard refused so the wurzels banned the rolling stones from ever covering their songs. Still makes I laugh.

• @arnos_grove agree except I'm not sure rock lobster or say love shack can be called pompous...

• I’ve always enjoyed Africa by Toto. Not sure what that makes me. Answers on a postcard.

• I’m quite partial to the B52s they’re a bit of likeable nonsense for true rubbish Cliff Richards Millienium prayer takes some beating.
    Congrats to @Shev if I haven’t said it before

• Loveshack by the B52's sends me into a rage . That can only be compared to when the clip is shown of lessons in love by level42 or anything by the prat with the hat Jay Kay.

• I'd forgotten how utterly horrifying Millenium Prayer was.

(

• See what you mean @Jonny_King. I pressed destruct when the choir eased in.

• Yep, when you see him crying about the BBC outside the High Court...remember this!

• Nice bit of promo for the scheme on BBC3CR Breakfast Show this morning... \

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/p06dbxxy

Scroll through to 1:23:48 to hear Cherry Red Records MD Adam Velasco taking about it all.

• @Wendoverman said:
    @arnos_grove agree except I'm not sure rock lobster or say love shack can be called pompous...

V true. The B52s are many (awful) things, but not pompous.