Skip to content

Singin’ For Wycombe

Comments

• Cheers @Ned_Ludd - I will definitely do this, and I look forward to hearing the other efforts too!

• I’d love to see them do a modernised version of The Old Bucks Boys.

Even if the remake is a bit shit, if it gets the words being sung again on the terrace it would be fantastic to breathe new life into our unique song.

• How about trying to entice Wycombe punk legends The Xtraverts to put one of their raucous twists to it.

• @Shev it doesn't specify a limit in number of entries. Maybe try entering 'Wycombe Strong' and an 'Old Bucks Boys' cover? My trumpet is yours should you require it.

• Good point @Jonny_King cheers. It would be an interesting one to tackle - and even if they do limit it to one per person, I could wear a fake nose and moustache for one of them...

• Out of interest, Shev, are you minded to stick with the old one or try to do something new.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    I’d love to see them do a modernised version of The Old Bucks Boys.

Even if the remake is a bit shit, if it gets the words being sung again on the terrace it would be fantastic to breathe new life into our unique song

100% agree, it is our unique song and the kids need to learn it. Maybe as a b side?

• edited July 2018

Wonder if someone could write something about the ridiculousness of middle aged (at best) men with beer bellies wearing tight fitting replica kits hoping to be young again. (occasionally it has to be said including me)

Something like this maybe with a few words changed

• edited July 2018

@DevC said:
    Out of interest, Shev, are you minded to stick with the old one or try to do something new.

@DevC - I already sent in 'Wycombe Strong' and may take a crack at a modern version of 'Old Bucks Boys'. The inhibiting factor may be having a brand new baby, that is taking up a lot of time right now (the nerve!), but the deadline is not till November.

That all being said, as the music and lyrics to 'Old Bucks Boys' are not mine, I am not even sure if it would qualify as an original song under the rules. It could be worth just coming up with a version of it outside of the competition itself to send around to fans.

I actually think the standard could be pretty good for this competition too - there are going to be people who had not considered writing football songs that do so for the exposure.

• Oh congrats @Shev, welcome to never ever having any free time again.

• Thanks @drcongo - true words!

• I think its a disgrace that you are using the birth of your child to excuse the fact that you cannot be bothered to fly across the Atlantic to Adams Park every few days during the season @Shev . Call yourself a football fan.

• That's not true at all. Dr.

Wait about 16 years and arrive outside the party venue at say midnight as arranged to give them a lift home. You will have at least two hours free time in your car. And despite your threats, you will get to do it again next weekend too.

to my ears shame you are sticking with the old, Shev. I would have been interested to see what you came up with with something new, especially now you have been "involved" for a little while now. Obvs that is your decision though. Enjoy the kiddie though.

• @Wendoverman - what can I say? I've always been a plastic, always will be.

@DevC - I know you are not a fan of ' Wycombe Strong', and I respect that. I don't think I want to completely change horses in midstream at this point though, especially as there are fans that very much like it. I think whichever songs make the cut will have as many different opinions as the current kit!

• I will probably enter, but undecided at the moment whether to go for a terrace chant-a-long or to compose something that would stand up as a decent piece of music. Think I'll try both and see how they develop.

The November deadline could be a negative factor for me, due to my perfectionist tendencies, as it allows far too much time for fiddling about with the mix, adding and removing bits, applying and fiddling with effects and so on, which I am apt to do far too much of, instead of just doing a quick and dirty demo, polishing it a little and leaving it as it is.

• Congratulations @Shev

And good luck with the song. Wouldn't worry too much about Dev (although it's really really weird how desperate he seemed to tell you one more time how he didn't like it) as if it ends up being played at matches he wont have to hear it anyway

• @Uncle_T - I hope you do enter! Hopefully you can figure something out by November. Did you see that some of those who make the cut may actually play live at Adams Park on a game day?

@eric_plant - thanks! We are loving every sleepless minute of being parents. I don't mind Dev at all (though the "involved" bit made me laugh). I really don't get offended if people don't mistake me for the second coming of Lennon and/or McCartney!

• I wouldn't worry too much about Eric, Shev (although it's really really weird how desperate he seems to pursue his little personal vendetta.

No criticism intended of your old song, Shev. (although as you know it's not my favourite) I would have been genuinely interested to see what you came up with with something new. Maybe another time.

• I hope Billy and the Bonquas enter. They'll get my vote.

"People from Halifax come down to see
    Wycombe in division three
    Crease and Thommo are so brave
    Doing the Wycombe Wanderers Wembley wave"

What scenes!

• @DevC - I don't mind criticism at all! Music is very subjective too. Personally, it would be hard for me to move on from 'Wycombe Strong' owing to the traction it has already gained. Hearing it played at AP close to kickoff before the Stevenage game was one of my happiest moments, and I understand it had good enough feedback to the point that the club were going to play it more often this coming season...though I suspect the new competition may scupper that, which is fair enough. There are also fans out there who absolutely love it, and I have made friends off the back of it.

Either way, Wycombe are in a unique position, as being sponsored by a record label is apparently going to lead to more club songs, and more choices for fans of varied musical opinions, than any other club has offered it's fans. Even if I don't come up with anything else, hopefully one of the other submissions will tickle your fancy a little more!

• Fair enough Shev. I wish you and your family well.

• Thanks @DevC!

• @arnos_grove said:
    I hope Billy and the Bonquas enter. They'll get my vote.

"People from Halifax come down to see
    Wycombe in division three
    Crease and Thommo are so brave
    Doing the Wycombe Wanderers Wembley wave"

What scenes!

Was this a song they wrote? I grew up watching Billy and the Bonquas play various village fetes and barn dances across oxon and bucks in the 90s but had no idea they were Wycombe fans!

Also very bizarrely my brother and I were speaking about them just this afternoon...

• Is Siberian Mushroom Santa still around? No idea what happened to his anthem of the underground resistance during the dark days of the occupation by the egg chasers.

• @OxfordBlue it was sung on the pitch at half time once. Can’t remember what match though.

• @ReadingMarginalista Ah yes, one of my all time favourites! Cracking 'lyrics', and still available on youtube. I'd post a link if I was in any way techno-literate. But in any case it's eminently google-able if anyone wants a 2 minute puerile chuckle...

• I’m not quite in the Lennon-McCartney class either as a song writer or as a singer but I was pleased with the end product of ‘The Wandererer’ after Ken Townsend allowed the team to record it at Abbey Road studios before our first FA Trophy Final. Sadly, copyright issues prevented it ever being released or I’m sure an appearance on Top of the Pops would have followed!

• @glasshalffull still heard two or three times a season on the terraces, fans struggling to deal with the huge chord change for the bit that goes:

"We go from town to town, with a blue shirt on our chest
    We might not always win but we always do our best"

• Peter, you obviously have a great ear for music.
    My ear for music is similar to Van Gogh’s! The lyrics would need updating because Creaser, Guppy etc aren’t likely to figure next season but I’ll give it a go.

• Wasn't the Billy and the Bonquas tune done because of the copyright problems on The Wanderer?