Skip to content

Exeter - Pitch Invasion

13»

Comments

• Interesting debate. I’m witn @bookertease in that I find @DevC more palatable than some. As to pitch invasions, although not venturing on at Chesterfield, I thought it was a magnificent improptu celebration and in no way spoiled my enjoyment of the day. Chesterfield had clearly considered the fact it may happen and prepared well for it. The players loved it and yes someone got hurt. People get hurt falling on the stairs in stands when celebrating too. As for Exeter, if criminal activity in the form of assaults took place then apply the law. Which as said, should be quite easy with all the cameras trained on the area.

Stevenage at home- yes it felt a bit more like ‘we must go on because that’s what you do’ but again it didn’t ruin my day.

I was living in Liverpool the day of Hillsborough. Terrible reactive decisions by authorities on that day. I think that Police and others with responsibility for safety have become far more proactive as far as UK football is concerned- so I have little fear of Dev’s disasters coming to pass. And if Gaz takes us to the Championship next season- I’m on the pitch (quite slowly).

• The post-match celebration at Chesterfield makes it into my top ten all time favourite moments watching the Chairboys, and I've had some wonderful ones. What made it so special was the mixing of the players and management team, with the fans, all united in half an hour of pure, unbridled joy. Everyone was floating. I can't get over how happy Gareth looked, all those years of stress and strain melted away, we may never see him so relaxed and content again. You can wait years for these special moments, it was a privilege to witness this one.

• @aloysius : Would you be kind enough to remind an old forgetful man what the occasion was at Stevenage, please. I know that he will be most grateful.

• I did not go to chesterfield and did not encroach on the field of play after the stevenage game but I think.pitch invasions are - on the whole - good natured and celebratory and doubt the league can do much about it. I would not come to footy to stand behind fences.

• I think he was referring to the last home game not Stevenage away.

• Crikey, yes. The marbles are definitely starting to scatter.

• Just looked back at @aloysius’s post. I am low on the autistic spectrum but everything has to be precise or it risks being taken literally, as on this occasion when the guy/gal said “....I was at Stevenage where....”. I wasn’t being “funny”, that lodged in my brain as an event at Stevenage years ago that I’d forgotten.

• Sorry, abrieviation of 'I was at [the match against] Stevenage'.

• Forgiven @aloysius !

• edited May 2018

I was at both the Chesterfield & Stevenage games. Clearly Chesterfield experience was "the winner", not least because WWFC don't do "the easy way". As such, the unexpected turn of results raised the excitement levels to "stellar grade" & the pitch celebrations were understandable and a joy to witness. TBH having had two knee replacements, I tend to be overly protective, not wishing to repeat the process so make do with witnessing from the stands. Once the initial "Tsunami" of bodies made its way onto the pitch I was then quite happy for my 13 yr old son & his mate to join in, even though I could see that there was an issue on the pitch with the paramedics. As for the Stevenage "party at the park" game, I'm with @Manboobs, ‘we must go on because that’s what you do’ I think summed it up perfectly. As previously mentioned, it did rather delay the ceremonies which meant that over half the crowd had beggered of home for their charcoaled sausages & chicken by the time the players did their lap of honour, which was a bit of a shame.
    Historically, WWFC have a great record with regards to crowd behaviour, so I personally have no problem with our fans partaking and enjoying the, not so rare moments that we have.

• So, having gone onto the pitch half heartedly at the promotion day v Notts County years ago I would say that it is a classic promotion move by fans. I have no bother about it and enjoyed the opportunity to walk on hallowed ground, albeit with none too much gusto for the result of that particular match.
    It is a natural “right of passage” for football fans, long may it continue.
    BTW, @Steve_Peart, your post gave me goose bumps and @EwanHoosaami, good on you for being a considered parent and allowing your boy to have a memory that will stay with him for years to come.
    Finally @DevC, keep on being just who you are, there’s no one better qualified.

• hardly an assault then, another non story !!