Skip to content

Plan A

Comments

• I hope we get a loan keeper in going back for players we have let go or sold shouldn't be a viable option. Id be very disappointed to see us bring Pierre back or Ingram.

• Why are we always obsessed by players who once wore the quarters but have moved on, there are many many better options out there, Gaz has come up trumps time after time, speculation is pointless, let the management team do their job, they haven’t let us down to date.

• While we’re on the subject of bringing players back.

One option as back-up to Bayo in order to take some of the burden off his (enormous) shoulders could be Stuart Beavon. He’s not featured too much for Coventry this season, I reckon he’ll be released in the summer.

Obviously a completely different proposition to Bayo in size he’s nonetheless also expert at playing the central striker role and bringing others into play.

We could do a lot worse. I’ve still got my Beaver Fever t-shirt too.

No doubt this will provoke a reaction from those not able to forgive the circumstances of his departure even though it’s pretty hard to argue he didn’t go on to bigger things career wise.

• edited April 2018

I'm also not particularly keen to see Ingram back. He rarely came off his back line - and while having Mawson and Pierre in front meant that wasn't such a big deal, it probably would be next season without a future England international in our defence. He's not exactly kept Northampton up singlehandedly either. I would far prefer us to go for a Blackman-style loanee if one was available.

As for a central defender, Pierre does fit the type we'll surely be looking for - tall, powerful, fast, capable of scoring from set pieces and more than adept at whacking the ball forward in the direction of Akinfenwa. Whether it will be Pierre himself who joins us, I accept it's unlikely. But he may well be agitating for a return and willing to take a pay cut to do so, if he really hasn't gelled at Northampton.

• Beavon ? Do you think we need anymore old men ... no we have more than enough and he hardly plays cos he is always injured.

• @Wwfc2015_ Ingram is vastly overated. He generally has the same faults as Brown albeit not as severe. He is division 1 at best but we couldn't afford him in terms of transfer fee or wages anyway. We need to try and get a loanee on a similar basis to Blackman.

• Not wishing to dredge up the longest thread devoted to a non-Wycombe player in Gasroom history, but... Dave Tarpey's returned to full training.

• Did we really lose Tyson, O’Nien and Gape for “large parts of the season” @TheAndyGrahamFanClub ?

• Setting aside any debate about which positions need additions/changing (GK, CB, LB, 2x CM, CF). I do expect at least a couple of season long loans and wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that our OAP players form part of the attraction for raw young talent being attracted. The likes of Bayo, Tyson, CMS, Bloomfield, El-Abd, JJ etc have a wealth of experience they can pass on to developing players and it's just as important as having GA at the helm. We have proven our ability to help develop players and with the added bonus of being league 1 next year we must be able to attract some talented loanees.

For sure we'll probably sign a couple of players but I'm in no rush to see GA re-sign any ex-players because I imagine we'll be able to do better through the loan system with minimal impact to our wage bill.

Or am I being unrealistic?

• Not in the least unrealistic @Twizz.

• You are a bit, Twizz. I am sure we will have some loan players, nobody will know for sure how good they will turn out to be. No doubt yet another of GAs many attributes is that clubs trust him to look after their kids, but some may be unsure whether he will still be managers and others may be deterred from placing their players in what they may expect to be a struggling team.

Personally if Brown leaves, I would prefer to replace him on loan as our sole senior keeper with a 24yo with 100 plus games from qpr rather than a 18yo debutant from Palace.

By the way if ex-players are the only options allowed, I hear that Kadeem Harris is likely to be available in summer - perhaps more likely to end up at Plymouth than WWFC though.

• That response seems to me to do nothing to detract from the realism of @Twizz’s post.

• It’s late. I probably mean realisticity or some such.
    Night all.

• now Kadeem Harris is a player I would love to see come back to WWFC.

• mike williamson been released by oxford...option for us?

• yes he's an option, like literally 100s of others.

Not a particularly probable one though.

• Why did he play so few games this season? Looks like 14 from Oxford’s website.

• There are quite a few ex-owned players confirmed or rumoured to be available this summer. If this is the sole criteria, perhaps we should tump all the league 2 standard at best current team and seek to field
    Ingram: McCoy, Pierre, Hause, Anya: Harris, Mousinho, Scowen, Phillips: Akinde Angol
    We could choose from Revell, beavon, Pierre, Williamson, Morais and Bulman on the bench plus Banton for part of the season. I am assuming Ibe is not available. struggling a bit for a reserve keeper - is Scott shearer still playing...

• Wasn't Scott Shearer playing for Mansfield or am I hallucinating again?

• Ainsworth has pulled some absolute crackers out with his signings, and gets it right way more than not.

He seems to have much better contacts than Waddock, Taylor and Sanchez had.
    It'd be a toss up between those three who had the least.

Waddock seemed to love raiding Aldershot, despite them being a division below.
    Sanchez seemed only able to sign players who'd been with Barnet, Wimbledon or Brentford, and Taylor wasn't much better either!

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Wasn't Scott Shearer playing for Mansfield or am I hallucinating again

Maybe hallucinating, he's reserve keeper at Oxford right now!

• @EwanHoosaami he did play for Mansfield or someone against us didn't He?

• Shearer played for Mansfield v Wycombe in October 2016.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Wasn't Scott Shearer playing for Mansfield or am I hallucinating again?

He is at Oxford Utd.

• and just got contract extension

• I would've suggested Alex Lynch as reserve goalkeeper, but his twitter feed suggests he doesn't play football anymore

• yeh he had a shocking season at Chester and walked away from the game.

• @LeedsBlue - He signed for Llandudno in February and is still showing as a player on their website.

• edited May 2018

@mooneyman Over the weekend he was getting involved on social media with our promotion celebrations (as so many ex-players were, and so great to see!) Someone then tweeted him to say that he should just concentrate on Llandudno FC, to which he replied: "I don't play football anymore".

• Hopefully he has told Llandudno!