Skip to content

Team for Saturday

edited April 2018 in Football

It's a shame we can't bring the whole squad on for cameo appearances on Saturday, every one of them deserves their moment in the sun (or snow, goodness knows what the weather will be like by then).

I'd like to see some of the squad players who may not be with us next year given a chance to get some wonderful final memories of their time with the Chairboys.

Would it be spectacularly silly to have a central defence of WDH and McGinley, with Sido at right-back? A midfield of Bean, Saunders and AN Other? PCH deserves a start and it would be nice to pair him up with Freeman. Kashket was woeful in the target man role a couple of weeks ago but what the heck, why not have him at the fulcrum of a young and fast forward line?

And Bayo should come on for the last 10 minutes, even if he's still in his protective boot. Let's get him one more goal to make this his best-scoring season ever, a fitting reward for this talismanic campaign.

Comments

• If it is indeed Bean's last game then he should get the full orchestrated 89th minute substitution treatment to a standing ovation

• It would be nice to make Beano captain on his last appearance for the club.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Lets not spoil the party by getting hammered, leave the sentimental stuff for the later stages, if we actually know who is staying or going by then

Agree. Aim to finish well and look forward with positivity.

• I'd love to see The Beast start and score to break his scoring record of 18 in a season as what he's done for our club this season it would be great to see.

• I'd expect the team to have an extra days rest after this weekend but then train hard all week and be focussed of closing the season with a bang on Saturday. Expecting our strongest 11 to start, albeit with anyone carrying a niggling injury left out of the side where they might have been included if we needed the win.

• Needs to be a guard of honour for Alex Revell as well

• Start with the best team, and then late on we can do the fun and games
    It's good that we haven't had to risk the Beast half fit. It'll probably be most sensible to let him rest off the last game too, however nice it'd be to see him score his record goal.

• Also, get Gaz on for a bit

• He's just said on 606 he's on the road to recovery and hopes to play a part next week.

• @eric_plant I’ve not forgiven him for what he did to us years ago.

• Ha ha, yes @Midlander but look what he's done FOR us now;-)

• I would love to see Freeman at some point.

• @Midlander I think he's made up for it now

• Id play Yves and the rest as strong as possible.

• Given his size, experience (much travelled) and, on the evidence of highlights from yesterday’s game, still very quick and committed, there’s certainly a case for showing interest but he signed an 18 month contract with Stevenage in January so I don’t think we’d be in the market for him.

• Actually @Midlander what did Revell do that was so bad?

Didn't he just decide to sign for someone else?

• He did, for more money and less daily commuting. Something most of us would do. I vote that in light of Saturday he should be finally forgiven.

• I’d put out the team we did for Accrington but with Yves for Brown, Sido for McGinley,. Yes later on Gaz and Bayo doing cameos

• edited April 2018

I'd say Yves is much more likely to be here next season than Scott Brown - would be good to give Brownie a decent send off. He may not be the best keeper we've had but his clean sheets towards the end of the season guaranteed us the points needed for promotion. He deserves 90 minutes of praise.

Love the idea of Gaz sticking himself on the bench for a five-minute cameo. A great way to retire as a player (not sure his legs will be up to League One football next season!)

• I really hope Bean gets a game on Saturday, since it'll highly likely be his last ever game for us and he deserves a great send-off. And I'd love to see Bayo on the pitch come full time, even if it's just a 10 minute cameo.

• @EssexWanderer said:
    He did, for more money and less daily commuting. Something most of us would do. I vote that in light of Saturday he should be finally forgiven.

Agreed - happens all the time in football especially where certain agents are involved, there are some people who still harp on about that 'Judas' Mickey Bell and his treachery. Forgive & forget, people...

• Revell was disappointing. He'd done really well for us, and I forget the details, but gave some sort of impression in the papers he was imminent to sign.
    But one to get over fairly quickly.

Now Bell, that was such a disaster as he was our stand out top player, made the wing back system work (as opposed to the right hand side where we shoehorned in a Kavanagh or Cousins), and him leaving for "ambition", to then only play I think was it 1 season of his City career at a higher level than Wycombe was gutting.

I remember it absolutely killed the morale pre season.
    Not to mention the paltry fee of 150k, when City shipped their own wing back Barnard for 750k, a player definitely not 5 times better.

• Surely Scott Brown wouldn't stay though if he wasn't going to be first choice? And it's still very early in the "summer" for us to have been linked with anyone else!

• Brown will go back to Cheltenham, he has already basically agreed it with Gary Johnson he said as much after we played them.

• @StrongestTeam , in the Cheltenham away programme the way Brown spoke about the place suggsted a return sooner rather than later. He was offered higher money there too, and we were clearly willing to let him go at one stage. I wonder if we thought we'd signed a loanee and then it fell through.

Strange to talk about being linked to a keeper just yet though. We haven't even finished this season!

• Tbh I'd be more confident of Bean staying next season than Brown. He'll be able to return to Cheltenham, or go to another League Two club, as a conquering hero - but he's been exposed enough times in League Two this season to be a worry for League One. Look at that first goal against Accrington - so fresh in Gareth's memory. It's those sort of attackers he'll be up against all next season. I strongly suspect Brown knows his limitations as well and would prefer a move to Cheltenham rather than being exposed each week a league higher. Saturday will make a fitting swan-song for him though. It would be nice for him to keep one final clean sheet.

• Just been online - Family Stand is completely sold out already... Would be nice if they stuck Stevenage in the corner of Main Stand so we can take over the away end.

• Depends what tickets they've already sent to Stevenage and how many they've sold/expect to sell.

• Ainsworth's forte is his ability to recruit great players every summer. I feel for that reason we will be able to stay up, even if we'll sometimes look tactically wobbly (especially if Bayo gets injured again or plays a more limited squad role).