Skip to content

WDH recalled

I guess that means he's playing tomorrow night then.

Comments

• Might be just to go on bench as ideally you want a central defender available to come on if necessary.

• Guessing then that Stewart is unlikely to be back before the end of the season?

• I wouldn't over-interpret. I think he'll play tomorrow, although as @mooneyman says he could have been recalled just to sit on the bench. I think it tells us nothing at all about Saturday's team

• I'm not sure it tells us a great deal. I thought it was pretty pointless having him out on loan even a couple of weeks ago. We are clearly short on numbers at centre half and he must be on peanuts. Get him back involved with the squad. It will still be an exciting time for the lad.

• This decision cannot have been an easy one to make for GA and the management team and I imagine that WDH has been consulted before enforcing the recall.
    It seems - unless I'm misunderstanding the loan moves away - that WDH's future will not be with WWFC. But he is a professional and GA must have confidence that he can perform either from the start or as a sub if needed.
    I wish him well, and not just because it's a crucial time in our season. He can have a significant part to play in how our season turns out but will need all the support we can give him if he plays tomorrow.
    I predict a 94th minute WDH winning header to secure the points, with scenes to rival the Beany moment.

• This could be his big chance to show he's worth a contract next season with a club that is better than lower-mid table National League team where he has been playing of late. Hopefully, he will come back determined to prove that and, if called on to do so, will put in some good performances.

• I am looking forward to glowing reports of his distribution prowess

• Just get it out of the box. To hell with distribution!

• By all accounts he’s played well at Maidstone. Some are saying without his loan period they would have been relegated already.
    I don’t think he will have a problem getting a contract in the Conference.

• He was well received at Aldershot too.

• There are some positions that you need to play games to maintain and improve and central defence is certainly one of those. WDH was simply not getting enough game time to become a better player and was probably going backwards. The game time would have done him the world of good and I'm confident that if he plays it will be the best WDH we have seen to date. Maidstone fans certainly seem really disappointed to see him go.

• All credit to the lad for agreeing to come back and presumably confirming he will give his all. Contracts are contracts but people are people and he would perhaps be forgiven for not feeling too well-disposed to the club that rejected him, recalled him, left him on the bench again, rejected him again and now recall him from playing every week and trying to secure a contract for next season possibly just to sit on the bench again. We should be grateful and wish him well.

• Saw WDH play last week (Solihull Moors v Maidstone). He did the basics absolutely fine and looked reasonably composed, though the type of forwards he was up against and the tactics used were somewhat different to what he’ll likely face tonight.

• not sure he has much choice does he?

• @wwfcblue said:
    By all accounts he’s played well at Maidstone. Some are saying without his loan period they would have been relegated already.
    I don’t think he will have a problem getting a contract in the Conference.

And he got three MOTM awards whilst at Aldershot.

• Was it as many as three @mooneyman ?
    I remember one (and possibly two) and I referred to it/them on here at a time when Will was getting seemingly unjustified stick.
    I really hope he gets a good reception tonight. He has shown great character and deserves to do well. Good luck to the lad.

• "All credit to the lad for agreeing to come back and presumably confirming he will give his all." I'd love to hear the version of this conversation where he tells GA that he'll come back but probably won't try very hard.

• always sensible to remember that footballers are human beings - with feelings and emotions and ambitions and grudges. They are not machines.

Hypothetical Conversation No 1

GA: Hi Will. we have loads of injuries so I am going to recall you from your loan
    WDH: ah, well gareth, I really would rather you didn't. I'm in the team here every week, the fans seem to like me, I am enjoying my football and I reckon I have a really good chance of securing a contract for next season, which is really important to me
    GA: well tough, contractually you have no choice, so I'm recalling you
    WDH: well I really don't think that's fair to me. You have farmed me out on loan before and then recalled me and wrecked my chances there. I don't want you to do that again.
    I really don't want to come back now. I'll tell you now, I'll make damn sure I don't pick up an injury between now and the end of the season.
    GA: tough see you tomorrow

Would you recall WDH in that situation, bringing in a disgruntled, demotivated player?

Hypothetical Conversation No 2

GA: Hi Will. we have loads of injuries so I am going to recall you from your loan
    WDH: Oh I'm in the team here every week, the fans seem to like me, I am enjoying my football and I reckon I have a really good chance of securing a contract for next season, which is really important to me. Do you really need me
    GA: I do really mate.
    WDH: Ok well look , you have always been honest with me. OK, I'll come back and do my best for you
    GA: cheers Will

Would you recall WDH in that situation?

To be clear, I am purely speculating, but it is almost inconceivable that a conversation between player and manager did not take place prior to the recall and given that the recall has happened, highly likely that it followed a path more along the lines of 2 than 1. And if it did, I salute WDH.

before the predictable response, note the words "speculating" and "more along the lines".

• Jesus Christ

• Hypothetical situation one makes him far less attractive to Maidstone, doesn’t it? His loyalty to them would be outweighed by his lack of loyalty to us. He’d be a fool to go down that route.

Of course, some footballers can be foolish at times.

• @eric_plant said:
    Jesus Christ

POTD

• edited April 2018

Got the predictable response from my stalker. One more and I can claim bingo......

Maidstone are still not totally sure of avoiding relegation. They well have been delighted if WDH had engineered him staying with them, Chris.

• I think the word 'hypothetical' should be banned from the gasroom. One poster just can't help himself when it crops up and answers even the most ludicrous questions on hearing it. The 11.46 post is quite simply amazing on so many levels.

Bingo??

• Beyond parody.

• At least @DevC did not want us to choose between God offering us WDH a clean sheet and a point or Pierre, a pre-match fan headbutt and three points.

• Three points and Pierre all day long, as long as its not me that's getting headbutted.

• A quick search of the word 'Hypothetical' on the gasroom reveals quite a number of fans using it, however there does seem to be only one using it to posit hypothetical situations.

• @eric_plant said:
    Jesus Christ

Dev the Messiah, I've heard everything now!

• To be fair, that was a hypothesis too far...! Know your boundaries, Dev.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    He's not the messiah.. He's a very naughty boy

Tie for POTD!