Skip to content

Match day thread: Yeovil

Comments

• YEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!

• Anyone have some heart meds I can borrow?

• Playoffs clinched too!

• Superb set of results today.

• Exeter getting a point isn't superb for us at all. I can honestly see them winning their last four which means we need at least 8 points to finish level and our better goal difference will see us up.
    I had been counting on Accrington taking all 3 points today.

Still a great win for us today and well done to the team and travelling fans.

• That was a pretty dire game and I couldn’t see us getting a goal until Tyson came on, but when he did, he was pure class. The back four were superb today, especially Jacobson and El Abd.

Glad Williams got the goal too, he deserved that just for the incredible bit of skill on the left touchline while being fouled a few minutes prior.

• @Twizz , best to be cautious, but you can't knock going into the 5 game run in 2points clear, and ending up a game down and 4 clear.

This is supremely in our hands now.

• @Malone I'm certainly not knocking it but I'd rather that Exeter had lost than got a point today. As it now stands we need 9 point to be certain and 8 point to finish third via goal difference - because Exeter can, and probably will, win all their remaining games. Without the point for Exeter today that would be 8 & 7, respectively.

• Yep, agree.
    Exeter will do very well to win all four though. This time of season has a habit of chucking some doozies in.
    As we remember only too well!

• Two wins should do it. Exeter would need to win all four to overtake us (unless there is a big sing in goal difference) and Notts would not be able to catch us.

• As for the game today, Onien going off made life difficult. I thought we looked a bit overrun in midfield as a result. And a few players looked nervy on the ball and weren't brave enough to try and get the passing game going.

Still, as I've said before, in a season of so many goals it is great that the defence have been able to come up th some vital clean sheets in the closing stages of the season. McGinley and El Abd did well again today and we limited Yeovil to only a couple of chances despite them being the better team for large parts of the game.

Kashkett didn't do anything wrong but couldn't get into the game. Not much ball into his feet and few flick one from Bayo. CMS helped the ball stick up front and Tyson changed it with his pace, although I thought Freeman had done well and looked our only player really willing to get the ball down and play.

• @Twizz said:
    Exeter getting a point isn't superb for us at all. I can honestly see them winning their last four which means we need at least 8 points to finish level and our better goal difference will see us up.

Exeter have three very easy home games which they should get 9 points from. Their away game is at Stevenage. We of course also have to play Stevenage so they will probably be the key as to whether we go up automatically or not.

• Don't worry about it, lets just be pleased we are even in this position.

• @M3G said:
    Don't worry about it, lets just be pleased we are even in this position.

Exactly, all we can do is keep winning until no other team can catch us,if that happens i'll start celebrating with gusto.

• Dreadful game as they always seem to be at Yeovil. Second best for long periods. Three points. All that matters.

Well done young McGinley.

• I remember easy games at home. Morecambe, Port Vale, Grimsby...

But yes. If they don’t freeze they very easily could pick up maximum points.

But. Whatever happens we are in the play-offs at worst. That’s still some achievement that should be celebrated

• I hope we aren't relying on Colchester to get a result last game of the season.

• Just back. Pretty awful game - nowhere near our best and Yeovil were game and attack-minded. Thankfully, they were short of a little bit of quality in the box. But those are the games you end up winning in your good seasons, I guess.

• It feels really good to win a game that we probably only deserved a draw from. We have had a fair few go the other way!

• @Shev said:
    It feels really good to win a game that we probably only deserved a draw from. We have had a fair few go the other way!

Luton Cheltenham Cambridge

• Fantastic win! Season defining week now! COYB!!!!

• @Twizz said:
    Exeter getting a point isn't superb for us at all. I can honestly see them winning their last four which means we need at least 8 points to finish level and our better goal difference will see us up.

I think at this time of the season, it'd be very very impressive if Exeter won 4 out of 4. It just doesn't happen.

• @clifty04 Do you think Exeter would rather be in our position, 4 points clear in 3rd with four to play, or where they are, in 5th?

• Ours, I haven't said otherwise have I @Doob?
    @Twizz is suggesting Exeter will win all 4 remaining fixtures which I'm questioning as things like that just don't happen at this time of the season.

• If Exeter win all 4 then fair play to them and maybe they will then deserve 3rd place. However, it’s unlikely that they will win all 4.

• @HCblue said:
    Just back. Pretty awful game - nowhere near our best and Yeovil were game and attack-minded. Thankfully, they were short of a little bit of quality in the box. But those are the games you end up winning in your good seasons, I guess.

Agreed.

• I'm in agreement with those who think two wins should do it. Games for rivals always look easier on paper, but Exeter are not Man City - it takes one tense game like we had at Yeovil, where they don't turn up, and a draw could happen.

All the same, I don't want to rely on Colchester to do us a favor the last day of the season, as I have a feeling they won't! We need to get to the Stevenage game at worst only needing to match Exeter's result.

The games are all vital now, but if we can somehow beat Lincoln, I would breathe much easier, as I feel like we probably would have three cracks at one more win.

• Commentary highlights and full post match interview with Gaz:

• Oops sorry @clifty04, my question should have been directed to @Twizz, of course.

• Thanks @Doob. I’m totally with you, I’d much prefer to me in our situation at the moment.