Skip to content

wishful thinking perhaps

2»

Comments

• I’d love us to be champions, but the significance of the difference between finishing 3rd and 4th is bigger than between 1st and 3rd.

• I foresee Accie and Luton falling short, we win all our games and take the Championship. Either that or we win the play-off final. One or the other. Not sure who the referee will be if Gareth will move to Barnsley or whether Brownie will still be here next year though.

• ah no, hold on I've done it wrong

hold on.......

• there's actually scenario where we can overtake them given your predictions

I am a broken man

this is worse than that quiz I set that ran all afternoon that time and then I'd got the answer wrong

• I’d rather you were right and I was wrong.

• @DevC said:
    Personally I think Accy and Luton are nailed on for automatic.

While I suppose it would be nice to be champions, cant say I am overly fussed between 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

In answer to my earlier question, I think I am with MO'N. If you could guarantee winning the playoffs, I'd take that way of promotion as the best way of all.

Playoffs this year look very strong though, to be avoided if at all possible.

I don't understand why you think the playoffs will be more difficult than other years. Speaking as a supporter who actually goes to games, I don't feel the standard of the division is any higher than in previous years, in fact I think it is probably lower.

At the end of the day you always have to beat two teams.

• I'd be interested in whether the reason the play off win is better is down to a financial windfall or the excitement of a Wembley final?

Imagine going to a Wembley playoff final with an absolute guarantee of winning. How much of the excitement would be left knowing you were going to win?

• We’ve got two points from five games against the three likely playoff opponents.

There’s one game left to play, and if we win that then chances are we won’t be in the playoffs.

• @Right_in_the_Middle the other team might be a bit annoyed

• I cant really explain it to be honest, Mooney. Last time around against Plymouth, Southend and Stevenage, it felt we had a decent chance. This time around, assuming Exeter/Lincoln plus Notts Co and Coventry, I would feel reasonably optimistic against Notts but not the other two. No real logic there its true.

Having said that the excitement of a win at Wembley in front of 30,000 - 40,000 people with Bayo scoring the winner in injury time in front of the crowd beats securing third place at chesterfield because Lincoln have lost at Accrington. I'd take either though.

• Securing third place at Chesterfield sounds delightful.

• sounds amazing

• edited April 2018

Surely clinching 3rd place at Chesterfield trumps last minute play-off win, because it SECURES PROMOTION (the objective) without the stress and nerves of a further agonising month of 'will we/won't we?'

It's a nonsense hypothetical situation to say 'would you prefer to win in this way or in that way, if it was guaranteed' - because it never could be. I understand discussing things that might happen, but not things that are impossible.

• I think it’s better thought about as a retrospective thing - once you’ve won the the playoffs, do you then look back and think feel glad you had the chance to go to Wembley and win rather than going up in third?

• edited April 2018

If anyone really wants to know we will beat Swindon 3-2 at Wembley in the Play-offs. Ma-Kalambay will play in goal (Brown sent off for time-wasting in the second leg) and Sam will score the winning goal with a free kick 4 seconds from the end of extra-time.

• If you were offered the deal that Accrington win all their remaining games, would you take it?

I think I would, it reduces the number of games left in the season by one for us, Lincoln and Exeter, when we are in the most advantageous position as it stands. It gives Notts County a bit of a boost, but if we let them over take us we are struggling anyway.

• The play-off promotion was the best looking back (but that was some game/performance and on the opposite side the Taylor promotion was the worst possible way to go up). But I would happily, happily, happily settle for third this years as I’m about to be skint and my nerves are shot to shreds

• Two seasons ago, 2015/16, Wycombe earned only 2 points from the last 5 matches of the season, which included matches against upcoming opponents Yeovil (drawn) and Accrington (lost).

Is it wishful thinking that, rather than a repeat of what happened in 2015/16, Wycombe can at least match or even improve on the 2014/15 and 2016/17 seasons, which each saw 10 points gained from the last five? And that both Exeter and Lincoln will drop points?

• Just played out a very scientific predictor which had us promoted on goal difference after beating Stevenage on the last day of the season. I had us taking only a point from the Lincoln and Accrington games, but Lincoln dropping points against Coventry.

Going into the last day i can see four teams still with a shot at third; us, Lincoln, Notts County and Exeter. A lot is going to depend on who blinks first in our game at Chesterfield, which could promote us and relegate them.

• I am on holiday for the play offs, so not interested in them at all

• If you can't go up as champions, then Wembley has to be the next best way.

However, with such all or nothing game, that we still have fresh in our memories, 3rd will do exceptionally nicely now!

I thought there was talk that you don't actually benefit much financially from the playoffs themselves, as the money all goes into a collective pot to all teams?

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Its ok, the football is back on Saturday...

Thank God. One game at a time is all I can take. And I say again, we will go up at Chesterfield but finish third.

• Earlier in this thread, I can't be bothered to reference it (for what should be an unlifting thread, it's sapped my will to live) it's suggested that a guaranteed win via the playoffs is better than finishing second or third.
    Trouble is a guaranteed win never exists so I'd always take second or third over the playoffs.
    Someone else comments "but think of the excitement of a last minute Bayo winner". Trouble with that is if the win was guaranteed you would know someone was going to score a winner at some point so where would be the excitement?

I agree it would ultimately be a fantastic feeling IF we won promotion via the play offs but if we are in the top three come 5pm May 5th I won't be thinking "Damn id have loved the lottery of the playoffs".

10 points from the final 5 games, assuming we don't get beat by Lincoln & Exeter lose to Accrinton will be enough to go up on goal difference. Won't it? Someone correct me if I'm wrong - please.

• Depends who the ref is, how many tickets we sell, if the drummer gets arrested and if the fat bald man upsets the stewards.

• We've had the playoff final experience recently, so 3rd will be more than lovely!

Then you get a glorious summer plotting the new trips and renewed rivalries.

Sunderland away!
    Stop it...let's get to Saturday's game first.

• @bookertease said:

If anyone really wants to know we will beat Swindon 3-2 at Wembley in the Play-offs. Ma-Kalambay will play in goal (Brown sent off for time-wasting in the second leg) and Sam will score the winning goal with a free kick 4 seconds from the end of extra-time.

Will GA and permatan be standing side by side?

• Yes @micra. Then the universe will right itself and we can forget Brexit, Russia, Trump, etc, etc...