Skip to content

Updated 'Wycombe Strong' Anthem

13»

Comments

• True, Elton John is the worst.

• I have to agree that post coked up, depressed and in the closet Elton is nothing short of dire but he had his moments early on.

• Hold me closer tiny Dan Scarr

• Now Eric’s gone all LX1ian.

• I thought it was Floyd who coined the "Tiny" nickname? It's brilliant and what Scarr's now routinely called in my house. And to think, I thought "Brick Out" was good ...

• I remember when they played this after Gape scored against Crewe:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1

• I'd love the credit, but i'm sure i saw it here before i'd thought of it.

• First appearance on the Gasroom was @floyd in December. It could have been somewhere else first (but seems unlikely).

• @peterparrotface - that's a good shout. After the victory over Swindon, there was a rousing rendition of Joni Mitchell's Freeman and Paris in the Valley End's Old Gits Enclosure.

• Thanks for sharing @Shev I didn't 'get' it on first listen but second time has grown on me and more catchy than I realised. I could see it being sung by the fans. The only thing I feel is that it doesn't really link to any song we have historically sung or feel particularly specially made for Wycombe, maybe it could also worl for another team with a word change or two.

• Cheers @colonel_splaffy - and your point is taken too. I think songs that aren't as specific need to become somewhat ingrained to really feel connected to the club (hence why I'd love it to get played more). For instance, "You'll Never Walk Alone" does not really say anything about Liverpool or Dortmund, but in their respective countries it has become iconic. Probably a bad example owing to it being a song that more than one team has a claim on, but I think a history does usually need to be established either way. I did specifically write this for Wycombe, but I am aware it could be accused of being a bit generic lyrically. But perhaps if it became a tradition, people would become fond of it.

• Oh, and update to all, the club has agreed to play it sometime at the Stevenage game - I am not sure exactly when (last time it was around 2:30), but needless to say, I am rather happy about it!

• Congrats man!

• We do have our own song (Old bucks boys) - the lyrics are good but the melody isn’t which is why I feel it’s never caught on again.

• Well done @shev, I will listen out. Yes, if played enough I am sure we could become attached to it and take ownership of it which would be nice.

• still a bit disappointed the Wycombe Jerusalem never took off

• 'Old Bucks Boys' is splendid - but just a bit to 'Roll out the Barrel' for a football song. Such a shame, as I love how Bubbles, YNWA, Blue Moon, Delilah, (even, dare I say, Goodnight Irene), Sunshine on Leith, etc, work in a football fan / football club identity context.

• Last time I heard Old Bucks Boys done properly by about 35 people in a pub in Barnet it was a joy to behold

• I don't think I've ever heard OBB sung at a Wycombe game, which is a shame as it's a song unique to our club that goes back some hundred years (as I understand - sung in the trenches by Wycombian soldiers in WW1).

I know the words but have no idea of the tune. I know being 'the person' who starts up a song is not everyone's cup of tea (the idea of standing up by myself and effectively singing a solo in front of thousands of my peers gives me the sweats) but I'd love to hear people getting this going at games. I'd definitely join in once I'd picked up the melody.

The alternative is, and here's a horrible vision, some MK customer finding out about it and hijacking it for their terrible franchise.

• Ok, so here's a thought; What if, against Stevenage on the final day, we agree on a moment - say, for sentimentality's sake, the 87th minute (to represent 1887 - obvs) and everyone who knows the song starts singing it to give people a chance to pick up the melody/words and join in.

I reckon we could really get this going this way and what could be more magnificent than (hopefully) securing our promotion with Old Bucks Boys reverberating around the ground? (With the players then doing their celebratory lap of honour to 'Wycombe Strong' of course!)

• This is the melody it's supposed to be sung to, its not exactly got a memorable hook to today's ears:

I mentioned this in a previous thread but I think the best thing would be for someone to find a more modern and catchy song that the lyrics scan to.

• Are these the correct words

““we are the Old Bucks Boys"
    "and we make a hell of a noise"
    “we spend our tanners”
    “we'll mind our manners”
    “we are respected wherever we go”

“we are the Old Bucks Boys””

“and we make a hell of a noise””

"we spend are tanners"
    “we'll mind our manners””

“'cos we are the Old Bucks Boys.””