Skip to content

The Opposition View - Port Vale

Comments

• Stewart getting injured for so long is the one factor that, if we don't get promoted, I suspect we'll all pinpoint as the reason for why. However I'd say a close second will be Jombati getting injured at roughly the same time. If he'd been able to form a partnership with el-Abd at the start of the year we'd have been so much stronger. The two of them have kept two clean sheets in the three they've played together, after all. Jombati's skill and composure shows how big the gulf is between a decent League Two defender and McGinley, WDH and Scarr. And I reckon only the latter has the potential to get up to that level.

I'm presuming we won't see Stewart back to fitness by the end of the season now. I'm really hoping Jombati and el-Abd stay fit for the last few weeks though.

• Harriman has been a big loss too.

• Interesting reading this thread Pierre was a fantastic cb and I’d have him back in a heart beat for me way ahead of el abd I think another thing that we’re forgetting from last season is Blackman. I have no issue with brown and he’s a decent lg 2 keeper great shot stopper etc but Blackman really commanded his area which meant the cb’s had 1 less thing to worry about. As Brown rarely ventures off his line except Coventry lol it means our defence have had I do a lot of defending a couple of yards from the goal line which is just asking for trouble. Obviously Pierre Stewart combo at the back would help but I think Blackman was a big part of that as well. Also I think if our defence was as good as last year GA wouldn’t be as adventurous as we wouldn’t need to be and we would see a lot more 1-0’s instead of all the 3-2’s 3-3’s etc

• Stewart's spell out has been quite something, is it up to 3months or so now? I remember Gareth saying we rested him one midweek as he was trying to learn past lessons into his injuries, and unfortunately he then went onto have another huge lay off.

• Stop draining on @malone

• It's nice that we are third having been without our first choice centre back and right back anyway.

• Methinks there may be a dash of overoptimism in the final sentence of your post of 8.17 @fame_46 ! Good analysis though.
    @Malone : Stewart damaged a calf muscle in the game at Coventry on 22 December. His inability to make a challenge in the box led to Coventry’s winning goal. When we spoke to him In January he reckoned he might be out for “as long as” two months but was optimistic that it would be less. Sadly his optimism has proved unfounded. I’ve no idea whether, as they say, he is “close”.

• @Chris said:
    To be fair your knowledge of referees is far superior to most.

Which is nothing to be proud of!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Stop draining on malone

POTD! (For those that get it)

• I’ve been looking for an opportunity to tell my old mucker @Malone to dream on.
    Tickled me to see rmj compounding the felony with his correction (to ‘droaning’).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I was thinking the very same about Stewart and his unsuccessful forays at Crewe and Crawley. Horses for courses indeed.

• @micra, as always, out injured players are "closer", but not necessarily "close".

• @fame_46 good post. I read the revisionism on Pierre at times and wonder if I dreamed witnessing the best "stopper" type centre back we've had in a decade.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The big man and Stewart a fantastic combination.

• @fame_46 , I agree for sure.

Interesting about a possible Pierre return.
    He did sign a 3 year deal there, and must be on a higher whack. I guess it depends how valued he is there, and what division either club end up in next season for starters.

The next 7 games will be exciting enough, but it'll also be interesting to see what the plans look like for retentions and signings.

• Id be very surprised if Akinfenwa was upto league 1 as a starter next season ..... that will provoke quite a disscussion.

• 'go away malone u keep drowning on when my football knowledge is clearly far superior to most on here.'

@aloysius behold the monster you've created.

• I was already a monster don't worry, @aloysius just gave some credit for me knowing my stuff, yes I love a reaction and post to cause one but I do know what Im talking about.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Id be very surprised if Akinfenwa was upto league 1 as a starter next season ..... that will provoke quite a disscussion.

Blimey, that is your second post in two days I agree with!

I would keep him though, albeit to predominantly sit on the bench and form plan B when necessary.

• World turned upside down @mooneyman . Is the quality of League One that much of a step up?

• @mooneyman said:
    I would keep him though, albeit to predominantly sit on the bench and form plan B when necessary.

One of the reasons that Bayo has been so good for us these two seasons is that he does play nearly every game. It keeps him at optimum fitness level. I suspect playing him as "an impact" sub, might not work?

• @Wendoverman said:
    World turned upside down mooneyman . Is the quality of League One that much of a step up?

Ask Pierre!

• Akinfenwa's form over the last couple of seasons has surprised many if not all of us. He is now integral to the style the team plays. Who knows how he would get on in Lg1 next season were we to get there. Not impossible of course that there might be a different manager in place and the style may be somewhat different too, which may or may not suit bayo. Indeed it doesn't strike me as beyond the bounds of possibility that the manager deciding the style and whether Mr A Akinfenwa fits into it may be a Mr A Akinfenwa.

• Throw's rock into pool and waits...........

• I can see that the top of league 1 is probably a different class to what we're used to, but surely midtable and down isn't that scary?

• I often wonder if an advanced alien civilisation took over the governance of our fair land, whether or not association football in it's present form would be allowed under their rule. Perhaps they would make all leagues equal and then there would be no need for the cut and thrust of promotion and relegation and perhaps all sexes and races would be able to play the beautiful game in mixed teams. Perhaps they would decide when and where a manager took up employment and dispense with the transfer system completely, insisting only local players can represent their teams.
    Or perhaps they would kill us all and use our blood for fertiliser. Who knows.

• @mooneyman I'll shout if I see his car go past...he might stop.

• edited March 2018

I can remember a time when his signing at Adams Park was greeted with howls of derision. I think Bayo could do a job in League One myself.