Skip to content

Match day thread: Morecambe

1235»

Comments

• @Uncle_T if the opponents were thrown off balance as the material in their hand breaks away, the ref would give a free kick against Bayo.

• Almost the entire team had a mare for most of Saturday. No point laying blame on one or two individuals. Knowing the character of the current squad, I can't imagine for a minute there'll be anything like a repeat tomorrow night.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    He is a decent keeper

Decent league two keeper

• His kicking is an asset too.

• People have short memories, Brown has had some exceptional games of late. He was not at fault for the first goal on Saturday. McGinley was in a position to lead it back to where it came, out for a corner, out to the edge of the box or to flick it on to an unmarked attacking player. He chose the latter option. The goal by Ellison was a one-off that could have just gone out for a throw in. The fourth goal was again McGinley, this time thinking he could give possession until the guy was happy to shoot.
    Nine of the starting eleven could not have played any worse during the first 45 minutes but to say the Brown was a cause and we need a knee-jerk reaction is a bit daft.

• don't think anyone's saying that

I just prefer a keeper that comes off his line

• not a chance you can drop Brown, you kill him if you do so and tbh he wasnt at fault for any of the goals apart from maybe the first one he could call and come and get it but we know he has a problem with this so thats life.
    I would be more concerned with Moore never being in position, Bloomfield looking totally passed it yet stayed on for 70 mins and Paris sulking AGAIN .... sometimes you have to dig in and he never does.

• but I do disagree about the first goal

you'd expect a sunday league keeper to come for that

• From all the comments, I have to conclude that goalkeepers don’t get rested, just dropped. I agree that Scott Brown has mainly been excellent this season (although I hope the memory doesn’t flood back of the goal he conceded from a long-range speculative cross in the game at Coventry) but I disagree that he wasn’t at fault for Morecambe’s first goal on Saturday. That was what prompted the admittedly slightly disingenuous suggestion that a much taller goalkeeper might be considered.

• No-one came out of yesterday with much to crow about except Freeman and Tyson when they came on. We had enough chances to win 5-4...but everyone, including the mighty Bayo, was missing a yard or two of pace and the final touch. I was disappointed GA did not make tactical changes if not personnel at half-time. We were 3-0 down after all.

• I think Brown has shown more than enough to keep his place but I think that as a professional he would be quite capable of handling not starting a game.

• Brown has his strengths and weaknesses, but I personally feel he has saved us more points with his excellent shot stopping than he has lost with his "you come to me, I'm not coming to you" attitude to crossed balls.

• you don't drop your only keeper as we have no idea how Yves would play and also if u kill brown by dropping him and Yves gets injured then your well and truly up shit creek !!

• @Uncle_T said:
    bookertease I am with you on the Velcro shirt idea. I made much the same suggestion to my son on the way home after Saturday's match: get Bayo to wear shirts deliberately made from weak fabric so that bits will tear off if pulled. It will be immediately apparent to the referee that his shirt has been pulled, hopefully resulting in more free or penalty kicks being awarded for infringements by opponents against him.

If the referee still doesn't penalise the opposition, at least Bayo would then be free to play the ball without having an opponent or two pulling at this clothing and trying to put him off balance or hold him back. The opponents would also be thrown off balance as the material in their hand breaks away.

I’ve felt for a while that Bayo might get more joy from a brightly coloured under layer. The black one he wears isn’t all that distinguishable from the dark blue of the home kit. A neon coloured alternative would make it more obvious when his shirt is being hauled up around him by opposing defenders. He would look ludicrous of course, but that hardly matters...

• It's sounds left-field, but maybe some sort of kaleidescope design would help our players hit him

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maybe Brown didn't see the need of a call on Saturday, as the throw came out much longer than we all expected, and he thought his massive centre back was going to lamp it clear, instead of skimming it for an open goal for their man.

Ellison's goal was just ridiculous, out of the blue.

The other 2 no chance.

Brown wasn't the man to moan about at the weekend, a lot of others were.

Hope this game is on tomorrow and we put it behind us now.

• OK so goalkeepers only get rested for Cup games. Fair enough. Perhaps we’ll get a chance to see Yves in action once automatic promotion is guaranteed..

• Odd in a way isn't it that the team can be changed and set up differently to counter different kinds of expected threats, but rarely, if ever, the goalie. Morecambe were always going to be about putting high crosses into the box with Ellison and McGurk on the end of them. Not blaming Brownie at all for the result (which was more to do with the defending), more a general reflection on the lack of horses-for-courses between the sticks.

• yes lets play somebody who is known as a calamity keeper instead of who has been playing all season, also Yves hasn't played for months.

• That Kalamity tag was a leg pull following an incident when, as I recall, a clearance ricocheted off a defender. But if you read the comments properly @rmjlondon you will realise that the general consensus, by a massive majority, is to stand by our man.
    Time to let it go.