Skip to content

Match day thread: Morecambe

Comments

• Bizarrely we could and should have pulled it back.

Last week I said that Scarr worried me in defence. I think that may have been harsh has possibly El Abd is the problem for him. A performance best described as inept from him today. Leader on the pitch? He just doesn’t strike me as capable on any level.

• Still in 3rd so it could have been worse, a big response needed on Tuesday. Coventry had a man sent off not sure if he's an important player for them though.

• Shocking in many ways but at 4-2 down I still thought we had a chance. Cannot defend like that too many times again and expect to go up.

• Forget the first 30 minutes, in the last 60 minutes we came back from 2 down to get a draw( The never give up spirit is still with us)

• Lost the first half by a country mile but should have won the second. Seemed off the pace while morecambe were first to every ball. Today was not a good one for blooms Thompson offered more for me.

• @wformation said:
    Forget the first 30 minutes, in the last 60 minutes we came back from 2 down to get a draw( The never give up spirit is still with us)

Interesting take on it and I almost agree. This is where Ainsworth shows just how good he is as the lads come back to tonk Coventry.

• One of those games where you get caught out by the conditions, the opposition adapt far better and get the rub of the green. We were poor but Morecambe weren't value for a 3-0 lead at half time either.
    Teams with a strong character forget about games like this and look to get the show back on the road as soon as possible.

• Very strange game, early head clash, and then they score with basically less than a min of actual play on the clock.

39 year old Ellison puts a ridiculous strike in, and all of a sudden it's half time and 3-0 down, pure shock.

McGinley then lets their man stroll past him and it's 4-0, and humiliation.

However, we could have got back in that, plenty of missed chances.

A real wake up call, against our bogey team.
    Tyson needs to start now, he was a real threat

Could have been worse at the top, Luton and Mansfield only drew/

9 point gap to bottom of playoffs.

• With the amount of goals we concede we were gonna get a hiding at some point as we can’t score 3 or 4 ever game just gutted it was morcambe and Ellison! disappointed the subs weren’t made earlier assume Tyson scarr and bean will come back in on Tuesday (I hope) not really sure how/why Tyson and bean lost their places I’m gonna put something out there I’d go with scarr and sido as cb’s on Tuesday

• Frustrating that instead of closing the gap on Luton they end up extending their lead by a point. Their equaliser was in stoppage time too. Oh and if you're wondering, Danny Hylton was booked for diving.

• The fact we still had some belief we could get a draw from 4-0 down says a lot. The attackers did reasonably well in difficult circumstances and we still managed to get two goals from a poor performance. And what Bayo has to do to get a free kick I do not know...

Across the team though Is was clear very early on we weren’t properly prepared for the game. A strong wind and physical opposition meant we needed to be ready to scrap. Nobody seemed at it and our defending was casual.

Extremely disappointed in Paris. Recently he has been superb but he must realise that in some games you need to do the ugly stuff as well as the nice football. A stroppy, childish performance.

A real lesson for McGinley today. Generally I’ve been impressed with him but he really needs to harden up a bit.

• Disappointing, but not surprised to see so many super fans flouncing out of the ground in a huff at 50 minutes.

• Poor poor poor. I think McGinley is a decent prospect, but today he was found out, and el abd and Moore were found wanting too.

Biggest problem was Brown though, he's a fine league 2 keeper and shot stopper for me, but today.... In particular the first goal, highlights for me why he's never established himself higher. First 2 goals were entirely down to him

• Tuesday is a perfect chance to forget today.
    I doubt Sido is ready though if he can't even make the bench? He was warming up, but he surely needs to get back on the bench first

• Ellison was class
    Dreadful show to put us 4-0 down
    A chunk of the cockroaches on cheap tickets left when the 4th went in
    Subs left too late
    From then on, we played well, Freeman especially impressive
    We should have got another back

Overall, a bemusingly bad day at the office, a lot of our worst traits coming through.
    We go again against Coventry, hoping for better, draw would have been OK had we won today, but really we need a win now

• Have we ever won one of the ticket promotion games?

• Some classic Facebook group action on the, well, Facebook group. (Plenty of well written posts too I should add.)

• @Malone said:
    Very strange game, early head clash, and then they score with basically less than a min of actual play on the clock.

39 year old Ellison puts a ridiculous strike in, and all of a sudden it's half time and 3-0 down, pure shock.

McGinley then lets their man stroll past him and it's 4-0, and humiliation.

However, we could have got back in that, plenty of missed chances.

A real wake up call, against our bogey team.
    Tyson needs to start now, he was a real threat

Could have been worse at the top, Luton and Mansfield only drew/

9 point gap to bottom of playoffs.

As good a strike it was from Ellison, Brown gets a big hand on it and should do better.
    McGinley was at fault for the first (although brown should’ve commanded it better) and missed a header for the 2nd. He was walked past for the 4th.
    Dan Scarr hasn’t been excellent but has got better with games. Unfortunately, despite the buzz around their debuts in a win against Colchester which meant people got easily carried away. I’ve not seen anything from McGinley or Moore (who is never ever ever in position) to suggest they’re good enough.

• McGinley needs to take a rest on Tuesday after that one.
    Moore had a sensational first game, but has dropped down since, which is understandable, as that first game was that good.

No idea how close Harriman is. It'd be optimistic to think he'll stroll back in up to speed.

• The only positive I could take from that match was Freeman’s performance, excellent ball control and more creativity than the rest of the team put together. He’s really looking the part.

• @drcongo said:
    The only positive I could take from that match was Freeman’s performance, excellent ball control and more creativity than the rest of the team put together. He’s really looking the part.

What does he have to do to get a decent run of games

• @Malone said:
    McGinley needs to take a rest on Tuesday after that one.
    Moore had a sensational first game, but has dropped down since, which is understandable, as that first game was that good.

No idea how close Harriman is. It'd be optimistic to think he'll stroll back in up to speed.

Spot on. One or more of Sido, Harriman and Stewart needed ASAP

• We were due a bad performance and no surprise it came with Morecambe as opposition. They were very good in the 1st half and we were very poor, defensively we were awful! 2nd half I thought we played well, but it's easy when you're 4 down! We had the chances to get something out of the game, but we'll have to take that one on the chin and hope to bounce back soon, hopefully on Tuesday!

• @drcongo said:
    The only positive I could take from that match was Freeman’s performance, excellent ball control and more creativity than the rest of the team put together. He’s really looking the part.

He's clearly got some talent, can't imagine there'd be many teams in league 2 he wouldn't be getting a game in.

• The same old story of the lack of a decent keeper and centre half, Mcginleys performance was like a boy against seasoned pro's. And Tafari Moore just neglects his defensive duties.

• edited February 2018

I've said this before and it doesn't give me much pleasure to say it again, but Gareth Ainsworth made a big mistake in shipping Max Muller out on loan and bringing Scarr and McGinley in as replacements, who both offer far less and have cost us games through individual poor performances. McGinley had a howler today. Max must have been watching the match with a sense of bittersweet irony.

Gareth's second big mistake is having no cover for Jacobson this second half of the season. No player should be undroppable yet Joe could really do with a couple of matches out to refresh and sharpen for the run-in. Gareth must have realised he needed cover here in the summer or else why bring in Alex Williams? So why did he let him go in January without bringing in another left back to deputise? Especially as Sido Jombati had already succumbed to his longterm injury.

This wasn't so much a match of two halves as a match of the two Wycombe defensive quarters. I thought El-Abd and Moore did absolutely fine on the right hand side, in fact I couldn't believe Moore was subbed as he looked one of our best players today. McGinley and Jacobson on the defensive left had an absolute nightmare, responsible for all four goals. Neither should play on Tuesday. Jacobson will clearly have to. I hope McGinley does not.

We probably have to come to terms with the fact that with Stewart out we simply don't have a promotion-worthy defence. So clearly we're going to have to keep scoring a hell of a lot more. In which case, why was CMS playing so far out on the left? He was barely ever in a position where he could cut in and was completely ineffective. He's so talented, so potent. Why don't we make the most of the fact we have him by playing him off Akinfenwa's shoulder where he's at his most deadly?

Of course Tyson has to start on Tuesday, I hope Freeman does as well after such a consise, pointed cameo. But it was clear from the first 15 minutes that something wasn't clicking today, Akinfenwa wasn't holding the ball up as well as he normally does. We have so many options available to us up front, why do we need to persist with Plan A when it's not working until it's too late?

• No mistake has been made as regards Müller.

• Muller is no better. I don't see what you see in him that stands out. Freeman deserves a run, but not sure he will get on.

• @aloysius said:
    I've said this before and it doesn't give me much pleasure to say it again, but Gareth Ainsworth made a big mistake in shipping Max Muller out on loan and bringing Scarr and McGinley in as replacements, who both offer far less and have cost us games through individual poor performances. McGinley had a howler today. Max must have been watching the match with a sense of bittersweet irony.

Gareth's second big mistake is having no cover for Jacobson this second half of the season. No player should be undroppable yet Joe could really do with a couple of matches out to refresh and sharpen for the run-in. Gareth must have realised he needed cover here in the summer or else why bring in Alex Williams? So why did he let him go in January without bringing in another left back to deputise? Especially as Sido Jombati had already succumbed to his longterm injury.

This wasn't so much a match of two halves as a match of the two Wycombe defensive quarters. I thought El-Abd and Moore did absolutely fine on the right hand side, in fact I couldn't believe Moore was subbed as he looked one of our best players today. McGinley and Jacobson on the defensive left had an absolute nightmare, responsible for all four goals. Neither should play on Tuesday. Jacobson will clearly have to. I hope McGinley does not.

We probably have to come to terms with the fact that with Stewart out we simply don't have a promotion-worthy defence. So clearly we're going to have to keep scoring a hell of a lot more. In which case, why was CMS playing so far out on the left? He was barely ever in a position where he could cut in and was completely ineffective. He's so talented, so potent. Why don't we make the most of the fact we have him by playing him off Akinfenwa's shoulder where he's at his most deadly?

Of course Tyson has to start on Tuesday, I hope Freeman does as well after such a consise, pointed cameo. But it was clear from the first 15 minutes that something wasn't clicking today, Akinfenwa wasn't holding the ball up as well as he normally does. We have so many options available to us up front, why do we need to persist with Plan A when it's not working until it's too late?

Have a look at the goals on the Sky website. Moore just watches their player cross it for the third and for some reason is in central midfield when the ball breaks down for the fourth. He's also caught out of positon too often and the fantastic attacking instinct he showed on debut has vanished with his Wycombisation. Hurry up Harriman.

Agree with you on McGinley and JJ today. Ironically I think the cover for JJ is...McGinley.

Maybe we have rose tinted memories of Muller. He can distribute it well but he always seemed to be half a yard too slow and somehow without presence.

• I was disappointed that changes were not made at half-time. We were 3-0 down not just chasing an equaliser. We went to three at the back too late. Having said that almost everyone was crap today, Freeman, Tyson and Thompson looked lively at least. The ref seemed to be watching a different game as well, but painful as it was Morecambe deserved the points.