Skip to content

Match Report: Swindon

Comments

• Thanks for this. Sounds like an amazing game, gutted to miss it. Hope Wycombe have something left in the tank for Cheltenham which I can make.

• Bit harsh on Brown & Scarr @ 6 but otherwise about right for me. All about opinions though.

• Agree about the ref and beano's cross for the 'goal that should have been' and tyson's cross from a tight angle deserved more. Fasten your seatbelts indeed. Still so tight at the top with a lot of unbeaten runs.

• What's curious - I don't think I've ever been so comfortable and heading to a Wycombe match before. Especially one in this position, where it's 3rd v 5th, local rivalry, we're on the back on a great run, and we concede so early. Yet, I had no real feeling we would ever lose.

• Having said that, one of the reasons that we concede so many goals, in my opinion, is that Scarr isn't a great defender. He's just tall, brutish, and was picked up by Birmingham last year, so we're dazzled into thinking he's better than he is. Waiting to be proved wrong, however.

• Decent report. My only quibble - surely any picture of Akinfenwa should be in a Wycombe shirt by now?

• Dan Scarr won some brilliant headers last night, he is growing into a terrific player who is very well liked in the squad and I would expect us to sign him in the summer.

• @OakwoodExile Fair point. I'm really short of relevant images and have chased Vital HQ up about updating the library.

• Thanks Vital. A typically rapid and constructive response from you. Please don't think for a moment that I don't appreciate the fantastic service you provide for all of us.

• edited February 2018

Did Swindon really only have 1,012 fans?
    If that away stand holds 1800, it surely looked more than 56% full!

On another note, I can't remember a ref letting as much stuff go as yesterday. Shoves, little pushes, niggles, loads was waved on. Which made ruling the Bayo goal out at 2-2 an incredible decision.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Dan Scarr won some brilliant headers last night, he is growing into a terrific player who is very well liked in the squad and I would expect us to sign him in the summer.

He also missed a massive header which almost lead to a goal and lost his man for the first goal.

I think that post-Vardy, we can all get a little bit blinkered with players coming from non-league and developing into the fairy-tale triumph we all want them to be. I would argue that part of the reason we concede so many goals, is because we've had to rely on Scarr in Stewart's absence.

• Wow @prufrock_91 . Think you might be the first person to compare Dan Scarr to Jamie Vardy? We've been conceding goals all season so to blame it on Scarr is a big leap to me. He had a difficult first half last night and did miss a header or two and air kick more than once. That said I thought he was good in the second half and hardly missed a thing.

Any thoughts on the missed header that led to the one on one chance was due to a swirling and gusty wind? Or was it just the player is rubbish.

• @Malone said:

I can't remember a ref letting as much stuff go as yesterday. Shoves, little pushes, niggles, loads was waved on

If that leads to to the thriller we saw last night then good on him.

• everyone gets their preconceptions and then their preconceptions drive their perceptions going forward. On the back of one game at Exeter, I am now convinced that if only McGinley played ahead of Scarr, our defensive issues would be improved. my logical side knows that that is inadequate information on which to base a decision but deep down I am still convinced I'm right.

• "deep down I am still convinced I'm right"

truest statement ever made on the gasroom

• edited February 2018

Scarr is not Anthony Stewart, but he is hard-working, improving and is as solid as most of the L2 defenders I have seen this season. Surely Swindon's defence were worse as they failed to prevent three goals...(four possibly) one of which was from what managers would have you believe is the architype 'you know what you are going to get with Wycombe' player!

• I'm prepared to let GA skimp on defenders if he can pay for four front men who might get into double figures this season.

• I'm not happy with Dale's comments on twitter

• @StrongestTeam there's an inconsistency in your argument - Gareth Ainsworth signed both Muller and WDH as well. Anyway, I for one still think Muller's better than most make him out to be and wish we were playing him ahead of Scarr.

• We'll have a chance to see how Muller's getting on in a couple of weeks.

• @HCblue I think there's a non-compete clause in his loan contract, fortunately(?) for us...

• I agree with your question mark. I'd both be interested to see him play and not averse to taking my chances against him.

• @HCblue said:
    I agree with your question mark. I'd both be interested to see him play and not averse to taking my chances against him.

I wish he could play as his total lack of pace would be punished by Tyson, Paris & CMS.

• @StrongestTeam Seems to me Muller's 'Potential to be brilliant' was very much based around Paul Hayes's 'can't believe we've got him' comment. I think he's got some potential and is a decent defender but have never seen anything to say he's going to be brilliant. Alfie Mawson showed this potential.

• He seemed a bit of a liability to me.

• And in your totally black and white world @Chris I can see how you came to that conclusion.

• "seemed a bit" is pretty much shades of grey isn't it?

• edited February 2018

Muller was an interesting gamble but never showed anything more than glimpses of what Paul Hayes had said.

Nowhere near the disappointment levels of Holloway going. Now he showed plenty of glimpses of quality. Haven't heard anything of him for a fair while now though

• @drcongo No BDSM implied.

• Oh do stop it @Chris ! I’m a confirmed acronymophobe and get frustrated by having to guess at them (especially when it means scrolling back for clues).