Skip to content

On This Day

2»

Comments

• Just looked again, it's Terry Scott from the 78/79 season.

• @NewburyWanderer Amazing pics from Walthamstow Ave and the much missed Green Pond Road. We just about won that won 2-1. Please put anymore up if you have them

• @ChasHarps Spot on with both player and season. I always remember the comment about Terry Scott (I think it was in a letter to the BFP), calling him a poor man's Kevin Keegan due to his decision to play for a while in Germany (and probably also because of his magnificent perm).
    @M3G Thanks for the comment. I have a few more from that game (we actually lost it 2-0), but they're so poor they're not worth putting up. I haven't got many other games from that period, far more are from the 80's, but I'll have a look and see what else there is.

• Is Mr M C Ralph a gasroomer?

• I've got nothing to positively identify this one, but I'm pretty sure I know where/when/what it is.

Unless anyone definitely knows otherwise of course!

Photo10_3 (2)

• Rainham?

• Correct!

81-82 Hitachi Cup first round. Won 1-0 (Terry Glynn).

Looks like this might have been the 26th minute indirect free-kick taken by Howard Kennedy from inside the box (link to report below). Such things are rarely given these days, apart from for back passes picked up by the goalie.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/13036b_540d25538ecf403a81e85f87bf714a76.pdf

• Of course, might have been a short one laid off to Kennedy by Paul West (?).

• Probably predates these pictures but I remember queuing up for tea half time at Walthastow behind Steve Perrin and Micky Hollinfield - mid 1970's I guess. Does that sound about right?

• Also winning the league away at Hendon on a Tuesday night and then refusing to collect the trophy because we wanted to play in the London Senior Cup
    I guess early 1970's for this one. Is that right?

• @Twizz Perrin and Holifield were at Wycombe together between 1973 and 1975.

We refused to collect the Berks and Bucks Senior Cup at Chesham in 1975, after beating Thatcham Town 4-0, for the reason you mentioned.

• @NweburyWandeter
    Ok, so did we win the league one Tuesday night at Hendon or maybe Enfield, early 1970's.

• @drcongo said:
    Is Mr M C Ralph a gasroomer?

He is indeed. He sounded a bit bitter and twisted in that letter to the much lamented (?) Midweek, didn't he. Reckon he's mellowed since then!

• With a singular lack of foresight he moved from Sands eight years before the club moved there.

• @Twizz We actually won the league at Hendon in 1972, strangely enough on a Saturday night (after the FA Cup Final). We won the match 1-0. I was there!

• @NewburyWanderer. That will be it then. I knew it was in the dark, so assumed it must have been a Tuesday night. I lost my mascot (dog) in the mayhem, I was only 12! My father and I danced on the pitch at full time along with many others.
    Those were a great few years supporting the team.