Skip to content

On This Day

One of the all-time great Wycombe supporting days...

Photo07_3

Photo13_1

Photo14_2

Photo18_2

Photo21_21A

Photo22_22A

Comments

• B****r! The photos have resized themselves again! Thought I'd got it just about right.

• After many years of heart break at Gander Green Lane, our last ever visit was a joy of all joys. Wanderers fans seem to completely take over at Gander's. Has there ever been a semi where the away fans have so outnumbered the home ones ?

• I know it was a neutral ground, but also the 1972 Amateur Cup semi against Hendon at Brentford. Out of the crowd of more than 9,000, I reckon that probably 7,000 or more were Wycombe.

• Our greatest ever result in the Football League?

• 2-1 to Wycombe @ Maine Rd.

• Probably the greatest result in our league history, but definitely the greatest commentary from Alan Hutchinson. "You take one more step sir and you'll get my boot in your face!", soon followed by "its ok everyone, I think they've gone... Now, back to the studio."

• that was a day. Injury-affected, but showing amazing spirit. Fantastic result ... COME ON WYCOMBE!!!!!!!

• The end of a not-so-glorious era, with two goals from a rarely-remembered double-barrelled loanee, but six down the other end.

• Michael Mahoney-Johnson in Smith's last game at Peterborough?

• Peterborough away was a great result that led to the dismissal of Smith on the 30th. The sacking coincided with my birthday and I always thought it one of the more satisfying presents one could have wanted.
    If I remember correctly we also dismissed another manager on 30th September, Neil Smilie perhaps?

• @a40 No, it was Lawrie Sanchez, 30th September 2003.

• Was that the date Sanchez was announced as leaving or when he was actually told he would be leaving? Still a fairly unusual dismisal even with the ever increasing circus of the Premier League.

• How did you get on at docs?

• A quick one for today...

• That's the Crown Ground Accrington, I believe on the occasion of our first visit? before it was roofed on the home end? 2006/7 Lost 2-1 With Will Antwi getting out goal?? Got to be that one as its the only time the end was not developed on an occasion of us playing there.

• @M3G That's the one.

• Bit non-topical I know, with all the Col U stuff going on, but I thought I'd slip this one in.

Photo18_2

Photo15_3

Photo13_1

Photo10_2

Photo07_3

Toughie rating - 8 out of 10.

• Victory park, Chorley?

• That's the kit. Bring that back.

• Loved that kit.....when I was a kid playing for Risborough rangers juniors. We played in the same colours for a season or 2....used to pretend I was westie..

• @Midlander Correct - August 27 1988 - Chorley 3 Wycombe 2 (Abbley, Durham). Att 870.

• Michael Mahoney Johnson! I remember the chap well. Ray Wilkins had his one game for us in 96, and had a massive queue for his autograph.
    I nipped over to get MMJ's instead.

That was a good move.

• Here's another. Sorry, quality not the greatest.

Who can identify number 11 in the first picture?

Photo19_2

Photo20_3

Photo21_4

Photo23_2

• How about these then?

Photo02_2

Photo04_4

Photo07_7

• Gillingham 93/94 season?

• Sorry, good guess, but not right.

Any guesses for the previous set of photos?

• Second lot looks like Springfield Park

• Yep, that's right. Far cry from the JJB Stadium, or whatever it's called these days. Second ever away game in the FL. Guppy scored in a 1-1 draw.

• The number 11, is it Byron Walton ? It's at Green pond lane v Walthamstow. And it looks like the game at the beginning of our memorable 86/87 season.