Skip to content

Favourite Season

2»

Comments

• @Malone That was @bluntphil, hooked up to some sort of portable satellite dish that was keeping everyone updated. Quite a leap from the days of the guy at the back of the terrace with a dodgy transistor.

• @Jonny_King Was surreal the way @bluntphil was pacing up and down at the front of the terrace. He was listening to the commentary and every time we asked what was going on he told us to shush!

• No, there was someone else in the crowd who got the news first. The roar came out well before Phil allowed us to celebrate :)

• Still grin when I remember that day out. Went for a wake, took wife & daughter to sea front for paddling & shopping. Son and myself off to watch, (possibly the very last game ever), our last ever league game. Eventually attended a massive party. Even wife & daughter joined in the "let's all wave at Bristol" singing on the M5 & M4 stretch home. Happy days!

• It could be this season .....

It could be a Beast of a season.

There have been so many three goal thrillers so far. The games that should have gone our way against Cheltenham and Carlisle and could have gone our way against Luton and Notts County, plus yesterdays's second three goal game against Crewe when the luck didn't seem to have turned its back on us.

To look forward to:
    Sat 5th May - Notts County v Luton; Wycombe v Stevenage - how will 3CR cope if both games really matter?

I too remember the 74 /75 season, I was a season ticket holder as a teenager. I remember Bodger nearly scoring, but I don't know whether the memories all come from what I saw at the time standing at the top end behind the goal at the Gasworks End or whether they are derived from pictures in the Bucks Free Press. It could be both.

I moved away and for most of the time have averaged a handful of games a season since - in 2000 /01 my daughter and I went to the Wolves game and the game at Villa Park. I have a rosette hung up at home from that season as well as from the first season in the Football League.

I still live in East Anglia but as commitments have lessened and resources increased I have been able to go to more games. Since the miracle which happened while we were playing at Torquay, I have been a season ticket holder and seen more than half the games home and away. My son has a season for the terrace too.

As the title of the thread is favourite season - for me it is between that 74 /75 season`and one of the last four, although I think our best season was our second in the league with that 6th position which would have put us in the playoffs with a shout for the 2nd tier in any other year and our most magical season was the 00 /01 season with the FA Cup semi final.

I loved the 14 /15 season: the game at Fratton Park in September we could have won, the win at Oxford in November when diving danny skied the last minute penalty, the backs to the wall game later in the season against Southend, the playoff game at Plymouth which still brings a smile to my face and then against Southend at Wembley which still feels like glorious unfinished business - such a mixture of pride and disappointment.

However I loved last season even more - most of my work colleagues support Cambridge so I savoured the fortunate away win, which seemed to start the winning run. In December, during the successive wins, my family had ages before set up the surprise and unaccustomed luxury of a visit to a box for the home game against Orient to mark a significant birthday for me: Kashket scored the winner on a day when the mist rose and fell like a curtain and made Adams Park into a theatre for me. Then there was the tension, excitement and atmosphere of the game against Stourbridge. And then there was disbelief and sheer joy of being 2 up at half time at Tottenham and then at the end thinking again that this really could be the last ever FA Cup game at White Hart Lane. It felt closer to a famous victory than Bodger not scoring all those years ago against Middlesborough.
    We couldn't sustain the tempo through the games after that, but the 0 - 2 away win at Orient was a highlight - not for the win so much as both sets of supporters together singing "Sack the Board". The happy 1 - 0 home win against Cambridge also meant a lot to me and rounded off a swashbuckling season in style.

So for me my favourite season was last season, the 16/17 season.

Just over half way and this season is as good - no glorious cup defeat but the 3rd round for the 3rd successive season. I have seen 6 points taken from Colchester, I've seen a good proportion of the three goal thrillers. My daughter came to her first game on the terrace for years and saw the CMS hatrick in the 4 - 0 against Crawley. My wife came to the Ricoh with me for the Friday night game and we tasted luxury again by staying at a bargain price in a room with a view of the pitch.

The disappointment at home against Luton (which felt worse than the defeat against Southend at Wembley) could be avenged soon and as Gareth says - we will see where we are at the end of the season.

• how will 3CR cope if both games really matter?

Cover Luton.

• Great piece of prose @railwaysteve , you should submit something to The Wanderer!

• Thank you @NorsQuarters - that is a kind comment.
    I am just now off to work in the middle of Cambridge. With it being Forest Green 5 Cambridge 2 and Crewe 2 Wycombe 3, I just might have opportunity to mention that we have already taken 6 points off the vegans.
    Up the Blues.

• @railwaysteve Great post sir!

"Kashket scored the winner on a day when the mist rose and fell like a curtain and made Adams Park into a theatre for me."

That's quality writin', that is.

• @railwaysteve I would echo @NorsQuarters sentiments! Lovely stuff!

I'm regularly struck by how well so many posters write on here, with well reasoned points of view or wonderful humour or satire.

If anyone would like to submit something to The Wanderer, this is open to everyone and anyone. Just send your article to [email protected].

• You are a youngster compared with me @railwaysteve but I can relate to your memories over the last 40+ years as we moved from Basingstoke to Sands in 1974.
    Moved to Widmer End in 1983 which I don’t regret but, for 25 years, I could have been walking to and from matches.

Agree with @Jonny_King’s comment about your excellent post.

• Might have taken you 25 years to walk to all those away games!!

• I had a tear in my eye and I've only been in Bucks since 2005 @railwaysteve and @floyd is also on the nail with regard to 3CR. I assume they cover the teams alphabetically as sometimes @bluntphil has to wait until Borehamwood and St Albans results have been analysed!

• @bluntphil said:
    This whole Chelsea searching for a target man situation reminds me of 92/93 too. Who could forget Trevor Aylott?!

I had almost forgotten Trevor Aylott, but only thanks to weekly therapy meetings with the Trevor Aylott Survivors Support Group.

• Didn't we sign two target men around that time. Aylott was one. Can't remember who the other was.

• Bet he's had more clubs than goals scored if his play is akin to his time with us?

• Tony Cunningham he had the build of a heavyweight boxer, and the pace and agility of Max Muller !! Also played in 93-94 season.

• We made a series of poor signings during the 2nd half of that season - Cunningham, Cusack, Hodges

• Trevor Aylott was decent, only played 3 games for Wycombe. Needed time.

Cunningham qualified as a lawyer.

Cusack underrated.

Who was Hodges?

• Lee Hodges (*)

Jug-eared forward from (I think) Barnet? - Went on to play for Reading (again, I think)

(*) not the good one from Scunthorpe

• Ah right, the one that manages Truro. Don't remember him.

Glynn Hodges, now there was a player.

• How about Eng Amateur Int Paul Hodges ? played one season for the Wanderers in 1963/64 alongside Harry Bassett.
    Hodges then joined the Champions Wimbledon, who left the amateur ranks and join the Southen lge.
    Hodges spent 8 seasons at Plough Lane.

• Was he related to Glynn? Out of Streatham/Wandsworth way?

• @ PPF - you'd have enjoyed the Adams Family's never-seen-in-the-same-room comparison of Lee Hodges and the FA Cup.

• @our_frank you must have rated Cusack? Culture vulture

• @ PPF. Maybe if had been his brother John (doesn't everybody love Grosse Pointe Blank?) or even Cyril. eric is right - Nick was a disappointment.