Skip to content

Favourite Season

Sorry. I couldn’t resist. The post by @Blue_since_1990 on the injuries thread about the great times we have been fortunate enough to have experienced probably deserves a thread of its own.

I’d guess that a fair few of us on here go back a bit so any thoughts on your favourite season?

For what it’s worth mine is prabably the last Isthmian League campaign (85/86?) when we had Ashford and Barrett. For a host of reasons that remains (just) my favourite.

Comments

• M3GM3G
    edited January 2018

86/87 was the season you mean.

• Thinking about it, it's quite a tough one. Contenders for me,

The Gormania half a season was great viewing, arguably our best ever league team, attacking football, super likeable manager, and just a golden time.
    However, the obvious tragedies derailed it massively.

93/94 felt so fresh, legendary manager at his peak for us, so many loveable players, the non league guys making such a terrific transition, genuine player-fan relationship. I only went to a few games at that age, but it all felt so exciting, just tracking the progress, and eventual glorious promotion at Wembley

Our playoff final season was excellent, so unexpected after the season before, and the best set of summer signings I can remember really. We lost so few games, had that incredible away run, and it just re-ignited everyone's interest.

FA Cup semi final season - simply for that reason. Still hard to believe how monumental that run was.

• Although I really loved the MON years, the Conference Championship the FA Trophy wins and the play-off win at Wembley, my favourite season as to be the FA Cup semi -final season. The win against Wimbledon (Martin Taylor, Macca etc), the amazing win against Leicester City and the amazing day at Villa Park. The whole thing seemed like a dream, I just basked in the glow of the whole thing for months. AMAZING!!!

• Though my first season of 1991/92 saw me too young to remember much of it, it still brings back good memories for me, even though we ultimately lost out. The next two seasons I recall more and some great games against WBA and Coventry.

I never missed a game home or away between 2001 and 2008, though they were not the best of times at the start, the Gormania season and the League Cup run were fond memories

• Aren't we lucky to have so many to choose from?

But at the risk of being a copycat, its 2000/2001 for. That was like being in a fairytale that you thought was going to end on at least 30 separate occasions, only to miraculously continue.

And like all good stories it just built and built

And how good were the days and weeks between cup games? It just took over our whole lives.

I still have evenings now where I go out for a beer with mates and we just spend the night swapping memories of that cup run

• I've got to mention the 98/99 season when Emblems goal kept us up at Lincoln on the final day. Not my favourite season with FA Cup semi final, Wembley trips etc but what an epic end to the season.

I can't remember the stats but from memory we were rock bottom with 15 or so games to play?

30 odd coaches went up to Lincoln that day from Adams Park. I still have the season review on VHS somewhere.

• I think it's O'Neill's final season 94/95 for me. Just 2 years on from playing the likes of Welling & Fisher in the Conference, we were playing and beating Birmingham, Huddersfield & Oxford. The 1st half of that season saw some of the best football I ever saw from a Wycombe team. The 2nd half of the season was tougher with the injuries to Desouza & Ryan probably costing us a play off place, but to me the whole season just felt like a dream. The 6th place is still Wycombe's highest ever finish as a professional club.

• 92/93 for me. My first season ticket and won the double.

Some truly great players in that wonderful team. Many highlights, but the demolition of Runcorn at under the lights at Adams Park in the league, to all but seal the title with Steve Guppy unstoppable, will live with me forever. Magical

• @bluntphil said:
    92/93 for me. My first season ticket and won the double.

Some truly great players in that wonderful team. Many highlights, but the demolition of Runcorn at under the lights at Adams Park in the league, to all but seal the title with Steve Guppy unstoppable, will live with me forever. Magical

We were clearly going to be promoted as the season rumbled on but you're right, there's something special about that night with Guppy's goal concluding matters to perfection

• I'm with Phil - the double winning year, bouncing back spectacularly after the disappointment of missing out on goal difference the previous season. 9 wins in the first 10 or something like that, with routine demolitions of the likes of Kettering. Splendid stuff. And for me the league outcome only really became clear after the epic Slough home match. The Trophy run was the icing on the sweetest, most delicious of cakes.

• This whole Chelsea searching for a target man situation reminds me of 92/93 too. Who could forget Trevor Aylott?!

• I'm torn between three seasons really. I loved 85/86. It was a new adventure, as much as joining the football league was a few years later. To be able travel to travel to Scarborough and Weymouth, Kettering and Frickley was so exciting for me even though the 2nd half of the season took it's toll. We we're ill prepared but reached the 3rd of the FAC and the QF of the FAT. It has a special place for me. 88/89, the season we arrived as a force in the Conference. Kelmans magic side full of flair and promise. The return of massive gates at Loakes park. So close to promotion. 92/93 the journey to the football league, the double, the huge away support we took everywhere, the Martin O'Neil years and that classic side. Guppy, Cousins, Scott, Carrol and local hero Westie. The Dream Team

• Being an older supporter I will cite the 74/75 season when we reached the 3 rd round of the FA Cup for the first time and took top flight Middlesbrough to a replay The.first game was on the telly of course.We then caught up on a massive points difference and games in hand to win the league on goal average ( google it)with a late winner in our last game.We lost 5 games all season. Manymore. great seasons since then of course.By the way we used around 17 players all season!

• Remember Mickey Nuttall? Wasn’t really a big hit but thinking about Trevor Aylott made me think of him.

• As a season as a whole the Conference Promotion season will take a lot of beating for me. Don't think I missed a game that season and after the disappointment of the season before it was extra special. Slough were a close rival which helped too.

• did you trek up to Gateshead for that sunday game Righty? (having played on the Saturday)

• Hard to choose between the 82/83 season, as it was the first Isthmian title we won after I started supporting Wycombe; that incredible 86/87 team; the first two seasons in the league, when it felt like we could just keep going up and up, and the last play-off season. But I'd have to go for the Conference winning season, because it was maybe the least stressful year I've ever had following the club - the ten-match unbeaten start, the feeling that, once we'd beaten Slough, the title was pretty much ours; that game v Slough itself (the best atmosphere at Adams Park ever maybe?) and the annihilation of Runcorn in the Trophy final (plus the incredible demolition of Sutton in the semi-final second leg after losing at home). Looking back I maybe took a lot of that time for granted at the time, but it was a wonderful time to be a Blues fan.

• Yes I did @eric_plant . Went on the team plane (think the club must have done a deal) that morning and lost my scarf in the airport on the way back. That day was a great example of the season as a whole. The team were hanging after celebrating on the Saturday but Saint Martin purely left the dressing room door open at Gateshead so the team could hear the Gateshead manager tell his team how easy it was going to be today as Wycombe weren't at the races. Pretty sure we won 1-0 with a goal from Timmy Langford.

• I remember it being 3-2

• yeah, 1-0 you're right. Funny how the mind just makes up memories

The season before had seen some incredible scenes up there. News was coming through that Macclesfield were beating Col U. "Maccy Maccy Maccy Maccy Macclesfield" came the chants from the Wycombe fans, who had travelled in ridiculous numbers for a match so far away

Scott banged in a winner near the end and we all thought we'd overtaken the Essex scum. Sadly, they'd grabbed a late equaliser to make it 4-4

• Probably 97-98. Gregory had them playing some decent stuff.

• @eric_plant - we beat Telford 3-2 away the same week if it makes you feel better.

Steve Thompson scored the winner in the 1-0 at Gateshead. Langford scored in the 3-2 at Telford.

• The celebrations at Gateshead in the prior year were mad. Hard to imagine now that the Col U score was coming through via rumour and whispers only. Imagine if the Torquay away game would have had the same news network available.

Didn't Telford form a guard of honour for us on that 3-2 win?

• The return of Keith Scott was a great moment

• I hardly missed a game between the end of the 98/99 season and 07/08, a period when the football on offer was, let's be generous, middling to poor. But going to those games with a large group of friends, my dad, and occasionally my grandad means that time is full of fond memories.

As for answering the question, it has to be 00/01 doesn't it? As @eric_plant mentioned, it was a story you thought was going to end dozens of times. The weeks between the games just become times to catch you breath and look forward to the next one.

I went to some games in the early 90s and if i was five years older the 92/93, 93/94 and 94/95 stretch would be a strong contender. I was just too young to appreciate it.

• Bizzarly I’d mention the 91/92 season. Of course there was massive disappointment at the end but it’ll be hard to match the match by match excitement, from that December defeat at Col U (when unbelievably we were given the normal home section because of the numbers we took!) through to that epic game at Gateshead when we thought Col U had lost (hard to believe how many we took to that!). Of course it all came crashing down on a wet night at Macclesfield, but what a journey we’d been on! I wouldn’t dismiss 90/91 either, the FA Trophy win (especially the Semi Final win at the seemingly invincible Altrincham) and a very credible 4th finish in the Conference. In reality I could choose any of the seasons from 1990 to 1994, with that play off final being the icing on the cake.

• @Doob, for those of us just a bit too young to really remember the details, what happened with the "Thought Col U had lost" bit? A super late goal, or something miscommunicated?

• @Malone there was a lot of mis-communication back in those pre smart phone days. Mind, there’s plenty of mis-communication since! It would’ve been word of mouth from someone (allegedly) with a radio, so not exactly reliable.

• edited January 2018

Even Torquay, in this day of every source going, basically relied on someone in the mob shouting it out.
    The phones didn't update quick enough elsewhere

That ROAR when Rovers' game had finished was hard to beat. Watching the likes of Bloomfield jumping around celebrating, while the game was going on was amazing.