Skip to content

Any updates on our injured players?

2»

Comments

• The amount of training ground injuries seem really high to me. What is going on? Is the surface there a problem?
    Or is it just most teams lose players in training more weeks than not.

• Without doubt the surface at the training ground has been a problem this season. Possibly in previous seasons as well but it wasn’t until Harriman broke his leg earlier this season that the problem was officially acknowledged.

• Where did you hear about this, @micra?

• @HCblue said:
    Where did you hear about this, micra?

In the context of Harriman’s freak accident, sliding into a tackle and his foot sticking in the soft surface, there were references in interviews (and I think probably in Parklife) to the problem which apparently was exacerbated by large quantities of worm casts which presumably could not be rolled into the turf as that would add to the problem and clearly there isn’t the manpower/womanpower (in deference to Lisa) to scrape them all up! Perhaps the task could be incorporated into the training programme. Might cause back problems of course.

• I think the issue relating to training ground injuries is not so much related to the surface but has more to do with the level of intensity involved in the nature of the training itself. My understanding is that this is due to the lack of a reserve team or, in effect, having a relatively small squad overall. In order to maintain the necessary level of match fitness among the players they need to take part in high intensity training sessions as a substitute for playing training matches (which lack of numbers prohibits) against each other. This was, as far as my knackered old memory recalls, what Dobbo told us at the OWWSA AGM last October.

Of course this doesn't really account for Harry's injury as apparently no one was anywhere near him when that particular incident happened.

• Exactly right @Cyclops.

• Last para, that is. As I have already said twice, the surface has been a problem for some time. The intensity factor has also been mentioned at meetings.

• So on that basis as the squad gets smaller due to injuries in training the intensity goes up to give the best practice to those who are fit and increases the risk of more players getting injured.
    For all the good work Ainsworth has done he still seems weirdly naive about mitigating injury risk. I've heard him speak a few times about the luck involved.

• It would be interesting to see statistics on numbers of players injured (as a percentage of squad totals) for clubs in League 2. When reading the Vital previews I normally get a sense of satisfaction from the section which lists the names of opposition players unavailable because of injury or suspension. They often seem very similar in number to our own but as a percentage of squad totals they may be significantly lower.

• I have often assumed @rmjlondon made up most of his posts off the top of his head. In the light of Sam Saunders injury news, I apologise. I await Ruth.

• A stopped clock is right twice a day

• @Malone said:

micra, has to be the worst football league era for defensive injuries.
    Worst we had attacking wise, had to be the FA Cup semi run. Devine, McSporran, Baird, Rammell all out for fair spells. Seem to remember we had a couple of others out too, but can't quite recall. Maybe Senda, who was very young but a potential striker

Don't forget Dave Carroll - who could do a decent job up front - was also crocked for that match, plus the fact that mercurial loanee Sam Parkin had to go back to Chelsea, and, as you later suggest, it was a miracle of near Biblical proportions that we managed to do one on Leicester... what a season.