Skip to content

Any updates on our injured players?

Sido, Stewart, Freeman, Harriman, El Abd? Also is Gape now fit to start and is WDH still at the club?
Finally, the big question, when will Kashket be right to start?

Comments

• Six back four players (if you include Gape) all definitely out or not 100% fit (Gape?) must be a club record. Things can surely only get better. Or can they?

Stewart gave the impression last Saturday that he could be out for a couple of months and I believe someone said recently that Harriman was unlikely to be back “until March or April”. He’s walking OK without any aids and he said he is now pain-free. But no doubt there is more to it than that.

Sido, Freeman, WDH and El-Abd. I’ve heard nothing other than the original comment (before his brief re-appearance) that El-Abd had a calf strain. Aggravated it perhaps. Sido was said to have a knee problem (for which I currently have great sympathy). I’ve noticed for months that he repeatedly flexes his knees during matches. I can find nothing to suggest that WDH has left the club. No idea what his injury is. Nor have I heard what ails Nick Freeman but, however frustrated he must be to be sidelined, the award of a two year contract extension must have lessened the blow a little.

I doubt whether Kashket will be in the starting lineup for several weeks yet. He is clearly being eased in very gently - understandably so bearing in mind the apparent complexity of his condition.

• Sido is out for about another month - Spoke to him in the gym this week.

• Sido reminds me of the play off final defeat season. It was game by game he was out, then suddenly he was spotted in a supportive cast boot, and super obvious he was out for ages.

Moore looks a fantastic option for now at least.

Kashket starting? Can see him used off the bench for another 3-4 games first at least, unless we get silly injuries up front.

@micra, has to be the worst football league era for defensive injuries.
    Worst we had attacking wise, had to be the FA Cup semi run. Devine, McSporran, Baird, Rammell all out for fair spells. Seem to remember we had a couple of others out too, but can't quite recall. Maybe Senda, who was very young but a potential striker

• @Malone We certainly had a comparable number of injuries in the 00/01, but we had a much larger squad, and it seems as though the loan rules made it easier to get players in...

• Fielding Castledine and Clegg at a team 6th in the Premier league - and winning is simply amazing looking back.

• We didn't technically 'field' Castledine, did we? I recall he fielded himself at the end, in a shameless attempt at glory hunting.

• Wow, those were the days. We should be really proud as there can’t be many lower league teams to have reached both the semi-final of the FA Cup and League Cup. Add to that the FA trophy successes, promotion to the football league and the play-off finals, and we have certainly had some fantastic times with the mighty Wycombe since 1990 (the Adams Park days).
    I am sure some of you other Gasroom members will have great memories going back far beyond 1990 though. COYB!!

• Perhaps the most wonderful thing about that cup run (and there are many) is that 3 of the players that took part in it - Cousins, Ryan, Carroll - were also in the team that took us up from the Conference.

What amazing careers they can look back on and be proud of. Fancy being able to say that you started out playing part-time for a non league club, turned professional with them when they got promoted, and at the tail end of your career took part in a magical FA cup run that ended playing Liverpool in the semi-final. And you played and won at Wembley a few times along the way as well.

Absolute legends

• Let the record show that the mighty Wycombe Wanderers were never lower than 4th in their league in a glorious decade that included 4 titles in 5 years, 3 runners-ups and a third place, taking the then 'top' team in the country to a replay in the FA Cup, quarter and semi final appearances in the Amateur Cup, and victory in the Anglo-Italian Trophy - unbelievable how this 'golden era' has been surpassed by the achievements from the 90's up to the present day... What an amazing club to have the good fortune to support!!!

• going back to injuries for a moment, I was a little surprised that Kashket having played 20 mins in the cup the week before, didn't get at least 15 minutes on Saturday with the team 3-0 up at the time.

• Seems like our successes come in the 30s, 50s, 70s and 90s. Just a couple of seasons left to make the 10s fit the pattern!

• I understand Sam Saunders is currently at hospital being checked after another injury in training.

• @DevC said:
    going back to injuries for a moment, I was a little surprised that Kashket having played 20 mins in the cup the week before, didn't get at least 15 minutes on Saturday with the team 3-0 up at the time.

I don't think the game was right for him as we were virtually end to end in defending our position. Nothing close to the opposition box for him to poach upon.

• Apologies for 'deviation'...

He might've got 15 or so mins (10 mins plus the 6 added) had they not scored when they did. We'll never know whether this was in GA's thoughts. It was certainly in mine. After the goal, however, the Bean for Saunders swap was the obvious 'shoring up' call.

• Heard second hand that El Abd aggravated his injury by coming back too soon v Preston and would be out (as of last Saturday) for another 10 day to a fortnight, so hopefully not too serious.

• Our shortage of Central defenders, stems from the 3 sub standard centre backs we had on our books at the beginning of the season.
    The combined wage tally of Rowe,WDH and Muller could have gone towards one or two decent cb's who could be trusted to do a job.

• Sam Saunders to score a hat-trick this weekend then? As for Mr Kashket, much as we would like to see him dancing through opposing defences, I would imagine that if Gaz does not need to use him, he would avoid risking him during games when we are in control and when a desperate defence might crock him again! Better to keep him in reserve and nurse the injury.

• edited January 2018

@LeedsBlue , Castledine came on at 74, so 16 full normal time minutes, then the added on time.

@eric_plant , Ryan himself may well have regrets he didn't go a bit higher too. I remember O Neill wanted to take him to Leicester but Ryan said he was "disappointed with the terms", which can only suggest it was a squad player type role on not much more money? Not quite Hyde's status when signed as a 3rd choice keeper when he was a free agent post Smith debacle, but maybe not worth going for?
    Then there was a fair bit of hype after he moved to centre back, a lot of rumours about moves in the Gregory days, but how close they ever came who knows.

I always wonder if Davie could have gone higher too. A quality player, massively underrated, but maybe not picked up due to a lack of "physical" blessings llike pace perhaps? Not Currie level slow by any means, but no flyer. Still, it was our blessing we had him for so long.

I always wonder what might have happened in the semi final, at 2-1 down, with minutes left, when Babbel was being cornered by someone (Vinny?), and Dave used his smarts to scoot round the other side and come away with the ball..
    given as a foul by Vinny (if him), but what would Davie have done with that time and space to deliver...

• @LeedsBlue Castledine came on as a sub at the same time as Essandoh. Not sure he did anything though, other than push to the front of the photos of course. A lower league David May.

@Malone You could add Emblen to that list. Think he missed the whole season. I think Harkin was injured too, but could be wrong. We'd also just lost Parkin after his loan spell had come to an end.

• Thx for the memory jogger guys! - my only recollection of him was prancing around with the rest of the team in the celebration picture. And who was the other sub, did you say? Essandoh? Can't remember him doing anything much either !!

• I did cringe slightly @Malone at your reference to “Davie” and “Dave” as an otherwise unidentified Wycombe player.
    Are you referring to Jesus in fact?

• Are you able to give us an update on the Sam Saunders injury, please @rmjlondon?
    Are you still by his side in the hospital?
    On no account identify the hospital. The last thing the club or the hospital will want is a visit from the local paparazzi.

• @LeedsBlue In the photos he's the only one without a muddy kit! Maybe a splash of mud on one knee when he fell over or bent down to tie up his bootlace. Completely ruins the photos of that amazing day.

• @micra too late! Luton Hospital, obviously.

• @micra said:
    Are you able to give us an update on the Sam Saunders injury, please rmjlondon?
    Are you still by his side in the hospital?
    On no account identify the hospital. The last thing the club or the hospital will want is a visit from the local paparazzi.

Richies waiting for the consultant doctor to give him the low down on Sam's prognosis.

• To be fair the doctor is lucky to be working at this level. He'll never get on Holby City while he has a hole in his bum.

• I always thought it was Rhino’s knee injuries that kept him from moving on.

• I believe that John Gregory said that he'd have taken him with him to Villa had he not been injured at the time

• edited January 2018

@micra , in fairness, Dave is his first name. Many at the time called him Davie too. Apologies for the mixing between :)

• Richie wasn't wrong about Sam Saunders if you can believe talksport. Was due to be on this evening but wasn't due to a training injury and being at hospital.