Skip to content

Away fans treatment at Forest Green

2»

Comments

• If the advance information was to be believed, there were seats available for those that wanted/needed them.

Had it rained, naturally, it would have dampened the experience somewhat but we were at least forewarned. I reiterate my enjoyment of the afternoon, which was thanks to the warmth of the welcome rather than of the conditions.

• Incidentally sad that I am, I have just read EFL rules and can find no requirement for a minimum of 200 away seats. I do see though that new clubs to the league have lower minimum ground requirements than longer standing members and have three years to bring ground fully up to scratch.

I do agree though, if at all possible seats and preferably cover should be available for supporters regardless of which team they support. No doubt there is a reason why this is not possible at FGR.

• This seems to be the relevant section on supporters under cover, and it doesn't mention seats as such, unless that is implied:

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-5--fixtures/

"34.2.1 Each Club must make provision for at least 2,000 visiting supporters at every home match or such number as represents 10% of the Club’s certified capacity, if less than 2,000. The League may, on the prior written application of a Club, suspend this Regulation or reduce the figure either for a particular League Match or for a period of time. Each Club shall, subject to any dispensations granted by the Board, make provision for at least 200 of the visiting supporters to be accommodated under cover. Any Club which fails to meet the requirement of 200 visiting supporters being accommodated under cover and which does not have a dispensation granted by the Board shall have such amounts as the Board shall determine (in its absolute discretion) withheld from that Club’s central distributions from the Pool Account until such time as the Club can meet the requirement."

The FGR stewards were very friendly and welcoming but, as @A_Worboys says, making away fans stand on an uncovered terrace, and not making seats generally available, does not fit well with their philosophy, especially as they use to put them under cover, and could do so again because the home fans would fit on one terrace.

• Overall I found the visit just fine. I am a committed carnivore, I knew that before buying my tickets in advance and before I left High Wycombe & I also was well informed as to the vegetarian leanings at FGR. As such, though I'm not a fan of Mac D I got my "meat" craving in Stroud. Arrived at the ground a bit late in the day to find that the only fare left at the Indian Street food stall was Veggie Samosas. I purchased 4, gave two to my son, (who won't eat vegetables), to my amazement, he loved them as did I.
    Really didn't like the stand we were in, but thankfully it didn't rain. All in all, I had a decent experience, but I wouldn't go again unless I was guaranteed a roof. Got lucky this time, so would leave it until the day next time and if FGR insisted that it was advanced ticket sales only, then I would have to be satisfied with @bluntphil commentary, which I always enjoy anyway.

• This thread is certainly what you'd call "click bait"

Away fans "treatment". Wow, what happened, this'll be interesting!

No, just no seating.
    Cripes man.

• I think the point has been missed by a few people here - the point isn't that we were given an uncovered terrace (I'm sure a connoisseur of spartan non-league venues such as @A_Worboys isn't phased by the lack of a roof), but rather that FGR had an empty covered terrace that they could quite easily allocate to away fans but actively choose not to. In addition, if it were to rain, they would do they best to physically stop fans from seeking shelter (as they did to Crewe fans who understandably were miffed that they weren't afforded the courtesy of being let into an empty covered stand when it started hammering it down).
    If there was a situation like the cloudburst at Fratton Park a few years back, would they have seriously let 700 spectators get completely drenched while an empty terrace was on the other side of a fence?

• Frankly its outrageous that FGR make no provision to shelter away fans from the effects of radiation or burns injuries in the case of nuclear attack during a game.

• http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/sport/15674135.Forest_Green_issue_apology_after_Crewe_Alexandra_fans_allowed_to_share_same_terrace_as_home_fans/

What I find interesting is that FGR apologised to their own fans for having to share the North Stand with the Crewe fans, moved there against the club's wishes during the game, but expressed only sympathy for the rain soaked away fans. Worse, the club are keen to ban fans who made the first move and climbed over the barrier. At a basic human level, if you see someone getting soaked you give them shelter.

• @Lloyd2084 do you WRITE for a tabloid?

• @Malone you are the absolute master of the succinct post. "Hats off" as some used to say on here back in the day.

• Tabloid writer?

Not sure I understand the context or whether that is meant to be pejorative or not.

But anyway, no, I don’t have the level of outrage or intolerance necessary, sorry.

• @Lloyd2084 I believe it was with reference to you capitalising a few words in your post earlier in the thread.

• That’s a fair enough comment then! Thanks for clarifying.

• It was just that. You are one of the least outraged posters here Lloyd