Skip to content

Away fans treatment at Forest Green

Firstly, in support of FGR I think it's a refreshing change to the Premier League to have a Football League club coming from a small town with a 6,000 population. It's what the football pyramid is all about.

Secondly, I don't have an issue with their green philosophy or their vegetarian-only food available. It's one ground out of 72 and they seemed pretty amiable too.

However, it's all very well to have a moral philosophy but I'm afraid that falls down in the accommodation provided for away supporters.

Firstly, I am sure the "no seats for away fans" contravenes Football League rules. I am under the impression that a club has to provide a mimimum of 200 seats undercover for away fans. Perhaps a Trust Board member could confirm this? If so, why wasn't it implemented?. I understand that seats would be made available for disabled or infirm away fans but not for general sale.

Secondly, the away terrace is totally inadequate if it rains. Their covered North Terrace was populated by under 100 home supporters. Most home fans prefer to stand at the opposite South Terrace. I asked a steward what happens if it rains? "You'll get wet & so will we". I understand Crewe fans staged a pitch invasion earlier this season to get into the North Terrace. Apparently FGR were really annoyed by this but I have every sympathy with the Crewe fans.

There is an easy solution. Give the away fans the North Terrace + Block A of the main stand (they are next to each other). The open West Terrace could be used purely as an overflow in the event of a very large crowd.

FGR are trying to make a powerful statement by the way theclub is run. However, their poor treatment of away fans destroys any ethical message they are trying to portray. I'm happy to have soya milk in my tea, eat vegetable samosas at half-time but I'm not prepared to get soaked while perfectly adequate covered accommodation is available. Away fans are not second-class citizens & don't deserve to be treated as such.

Comments

• edited January 2018

I had a lovely time there today and would in no way agree with the suggestion that I was poorly treated. Every single person I talked to, from the person who greeted me at the car park, was as friendly as could be (and I don't think that overstates it), the ground was well-presented on the approach and the vegetable samosas on sale outside the ground, and from a vendor wandering the terrace during the game, were absolutely first-class. The programme, sold by a delightfully welcoming father and son, was well put-together and included a match report on our Boxing Day match.

I knew we were on an open terrace today and dressed accordingly, including being prepared for wet weather. I understood there were seats available for those that needed/wanted them.

I have no complaints at all about the day nor about the hospitality or accommodation offered by Forest Green. A steward confirmed what I read on their website beforehand, namely that there is to be a roof on the terrace from next season. It's not a perfect world but I take no umbrage at where we were today even though alternatives such as you describe seem workable with a number of away fans below 750. The steward mentioned above gave me what he understood to be the reasons why they used that terrace for away fans but I won't bore you all since it's hearsay.

I would be extremely happy to go there again and actively hope FGR are not relegated this season so I may do so. It was my favourite away day of the season so far and I bear them considerable goodwill because of it.

• Are there seats at accy?

• Couldn't agree more @A_Worboys. In their conference days, away fans always used to be housed in the North terrace and Block A of the main stand so I'm not sure why it's been changed (to get a higher capacity maybe?). To not provide any shelter when the rest of the ground is sparcely populated is extremely poor - if it had rained this afternoon how it rained in the area this morning I doubt many of the 700 would've lasted the full 90. Also, a long, shallow, uncovered stand is really not conducive to a good atmosphere - it seemed like one of our quietest ever away followings today.

I'd also add the decision to make today's match all ticket for our fans to the list of gripes.

• My comments were in support of FGR as a pleasant alternative to the mega-stadia of the Premier League. But I cannot see why there would be a problem in making the end block A of the main stand seating for away supporters. I found them a very friendly club but I would not want to stand for 2 hours in pouring rain when a perfectly suitable alternative exists.

• The EFL can grant clubs a dispensation to avoid the 200 seats rule. Presumably FGR have obtained that dispensation for this season.

• I agree bad weather would have made the day much less pleasant, though I'm still just about young enough not to be especially bothered by that sort of thing (while being old enough to understand it's a live consideration for others). Certainly, there was room for everyone in the other three stands of the ground today.

The atmosphere thing was different to the norm, I also agree. But I quite liked the change. It made for a different dynamic - I'm normally singing on the terrace at AP - and I enjoy different! The view was fine.

• Fair points Andy but came away from today seriously hoping FGR stay up as it's one of the most welcoming clubs I've visited in recent times. Sneaked into the Green Man pretending we were home fans and enjoyed both excellent food and beer and conversation with locals who were happy to have us there and to chat about all things footie and ethics. Stewards and all staff were friendly and not unlike our own. Yes if it had rained I might have felt less charitable but it didn't and my only gripe was with our sorry second half performance. Best of luck to the Green Pirates for the rest of the season.

• The infrastructure of the ground may not be where they might like it to be but in every other respect, this seemed a model club to me. If away fans leave out ground with similar feelings about their welcome, I'll be well happy. As I said earlier, I share @MindlessDrugHoover's hopes for their survival.

• I enjoyed the day and the vegan pie was much better than the dried out husks served at Adams Park. However, I did feel that there wasn't much of an atmosphere. Their fans didn't sing at all as far as I could hear and the long thin stand didn't really help us make a lot of noise. Despite living relatively local to Forest Green the lack of atmosphere would put me off going to a non-Wycombe game.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I found it a really nice place to visit, one of the cheapest away tickets in League 2 (though £16 is still a tad too much for this level) I might have felt a little different had it rained mind, though the view was better than what we would have had behind the goal.

Not a fan of the meat ban, but the local cider was very good in the away fans bar, all sourced from close by and better for it. People were all friendly too

• I can only assume there is a bit of an agenda with @A_Worboys post. No idea what it is but I've never experienced or heard anything to back up his views.

• @fame_46 said:

The ground was like watching Sunday league football and was no better than Flackwell Heath’s set up. If the decision was taken to accommodate more away fans, in a different part of the stadium for financial reasons, then this goes against everything they are meant to stand for in regards to the initiatives they have introduced.

Sorry, the ground is infinitely better than Flackwell Heath's - no comparison.

• I fundamentally disagree @A_Worboys.

In fact yesterday was probably the most hospitalable reception I've had as an away supporter since the non-league days.

We stayed in Stroud the night before and headed up to the ground for just after midday. My son, aged 10, is the environmental prefect at his school, a position they created due to his passion for sustainability and environmental protection. As FGR have a reputation for promoting values in keeping with his, we asked in reception if there was anyone he could interview for his school magazine. Well, within 10 minutes, we had the CEO taking him round the ground, explaining their initiatives, and answering all of his questions as to how he can take some of their simpler ideas back to his school and local footie team. She even offered to be a mentor for him in the future and offered to help if he ever encounters any issues or problems he doesn't know how to tackle.

So to Helen, CEO of FGR, and all of her wonderfully welcoming staff, thank you for a wonderful day out. You were an inspiration to my boy, and WILL have an impact on sustainable sport in Wycombe.

As for the ground, they have risen quickly and are trying to be SUSTAINABLE both environmentally and financially. I'd politely suggest building big stands for crowds that don't exist would be folly and not in keeping with their values.

• I had hoped to make FGR this season but couldn't on NYD due to family commitments.
    Before criticising too much, perhaps do have to bear in mind that FGR are intending to build a new ground alongside the M5 shortly. I do rather agree that this has the feel of a Rushden & Diamonds about it though.

• I have to agree with those saying it was a very pleasant day out albeit very different to a day out at home.the food wasn’t to my liking however I knew that before setting off and was prepared.overall a much better experience than Beechdean stand on Boxing Day to be fair

• Choice of pre-match food in the ground of "veggie burger", chips, chip butty or chips with gravy.... Great if you don't like chips, and it still took forever to get served despite essentially having one thing to serve.

Admittedly the samosas that went round at half time looked decent, but that was too late.

Having ethics is fine and great, but at least deliver a decent service, and that's without the tin pot stand without a roof. Non league ground off the pitch, non league team on it.

• Who doesn't like chips?

• Who doesn't like a sausage roll?

• The Indian food was on sale before the game, too.

• edited January 2018

Not in the ground (that I saw anyway, and I was looking)

• From the van at the front of the ground, right next to the Away fans tent. You will have walked right past it on the way in!

• 71 other grounds sell the offal in a bun that some seem to crave.

The CEO explained to my son that they tried other foods in the away stand but they sold 90% chips nomatter what they put on. Reducing the complexity sped up the queues. The home fans have a more relaxed attitude and try lots of other fare, so they cater accordingly.

Instead of crying that you couldn’t eat flesh for 2 hours, why not celebrate someone trying to do something different? Everything I tried was delicious.

• They even were giving him out free Samosas in a the second half...

• edited January 2018

That's outside the ground though, once you'd gone through the gate there was no turning back

• To be honest, the atmosphere in and around the club reminded me of how we used to be in our early league days.

• Interesting and good to hear @Lloyd2084

• The Indian street food stall was great.

• You aren't able to buy any vegetarian food at Wycombe which is very short sighted and lets be honest the food at Adams Park is awful overpriced with very poor service. Mind you FGR should make seats available to all OAP'S. Who wants to stand on a wet and windy terrace in their 70's or 80's.

• My initial point was that there are EFL regulations about providing covered accommodation for away fans, which also includes seats. At least AFC Wimbledon provide a limited number of seats for away fans at Kingsmeadow, which is arguably on a par with FGR size-wise. The fact that they could easily do this and make it a good day out for those that can't stand either baffles me. Had 700 Wycombe fans had to stand there for 2 hours + in driving rain I think there would be a different sentiment on here.