Skip to content

Match day thread: Mansfield

2»

Comments

• Agree with what you say about Evans. Abused the officials throughout, just as he did at Adams Park last season, and got away with it. What an example.

• We should have made a tactical change 10 minutes into the 2nd half. Tyson was flagging, Bayo was flagging, JJ was getting over run Gape was being pushed back. Everything looked so inevitable and so it turned out to be. That’s what makes the loss so hard to take, they upped the ante a little we didn’t and we all know we can.

• We usually play at the moment with Eze behind the three strikers - and the other two midfielders behind him.

In the second half, it seemed to me that Saunders dropped back and O’Nien moved forward. Our most creative midfield player was thus too far from the front three to do much for them.

So we were back to Route One - which didn’t work today. It didn’t help that Cowan-Hall, who with Gale caused Mansfield problems for the first 45 minutes, went off at half-time.

• Steve Evans eh? Hard to love him but you have to have a grudging admiration for him when he turns a game round completely at the halfway mark like that. The Stags were like a team possessed in the second half.

Whatever went on in that Mansfield dressing room at half-time should be bottled up and fed to the England team before the World Cup in Russia.

Clearly he wasn’t happy at the way they were standing off us and letting us dictate the game for the first 45. Second half they were right in our faces and we struggled to cope with it. In the same way other sides have struggled when we’ve done it to them.

No complaints from me, beaten by the better side on the day.

• Three points dropped IMO. If Wycombe had taken the chances to score that they had in the first half it would have been 3 or more to nil by half time and a Wycombe win at the end.

• Minor (largely irrelevant) point. In the second half when Potter? took on JJ and was clearly fouled in the box why was he not booked for simulation? He appealed. Just another example of inconsistency

• Those morons on fans Facebook always have to have a scapegoat. Tonight it appears to be JJ. Maybe hasn’t been at his best recently but is there a better LB in the division?

• Good Lord, JJ a scapegoat!

Comfortably the best left back this club has ever had.

Not his finest game maybe but he’s having a fine season. We should cherish him.

• I totally agree @TheatreOfChairs. Cherish AND rest I feel.

• We were missing 3/4 of our best defence and our CDM who was outstanding at the start of the season - Saunders did ok in there but we need him further forward.

Luton and Notts results show it's still very open, and lots of points at stake still. On to FGR on Monday.

• A large section of our support seem to want to make JJ some sort of scapegoat at the moment

Unbelievable really given his consistently excellent standards set over a number of seasons now. We'd do well to ever get a better more reliable full back.

Very much a case of you don't know what you've got til it's gone perhaps for some.

• How many fewer goals would we have scored this season without JJ?

It’s largely the same people who were wrong about Blackman and wrong about Pierre. They’re wrong about JJ too and they’ll be wrong about the next player down the line. I don’t think it’s by any means a substantial section of fans but it is a vocal one, especially online.

• Everything has to be black and white for these people. JJ is either the best left back we've ever had, or a shit, washed up player who focuses too much on his accountancy degree.

They've never seriously considered the possibility that the truth lies somewhere in-between, and that it lies far closer to him being the best left back we've ever had.

• Spot on oxford blue, and not only that, whether he's brilliant or shit will depend on his last match

You judge players over a period of time, and if you can't see that Joe Jacobson has proven himself to be one of, if not the best left back Wycombe have ever had then you are a moron who doesn't deserve the opportunity to comment on it

• The reality yesterday was that JJ had a game below his usually high standards. He’s not a shit player. He had a below par day. Reasons? He was against a very decent winger, Tyson was unable to drop and support him (and I can certainly forgive for that) and their midfield frequently overloaded our wings in the 2nd half. Yes he made one or two poor set pieces but I think he can be forgiven considering his overall %age throughout the season.
    Tyson is still coming back from injury and I just felt at 60 minutes Freeman could have offered more energy on the left but hey ho. I suspect he will start tomorrrow.
    Finally didn’t see Kashket warming up pre game yesterday. He has previously further problems?

• “previously further problems” @TheAndyGrahamFanClub ?

• JJ is the best left back we have had in my time watching the mighty Wycombe.

• Whoops! Tried (and failed) to delete my stupid question about how long you’ve been supporting the Blues!!

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub , don't do it to yourself pal, just forget Kashket, and if he ever gets near the pitch again it'll be a massive bonus.

• @micra said:
    “previously further problems” TheAndyGrahamFanClub ?

I’ve come to now after a blurry brained morning. My guess is that you were saying “he has previously warmed up pre game so does this mean he has further problems?”

• Heard yesterday that Kashket is physically fit but problems are psychological, worried about getting injured again.

• @micra Yeah brain a bit frazzled today. As much as we are all hoping Kashket is coming back I certainly hope that GA is planning for him as a bonus and not the cavalry. We are really fortunate to have a successful Plan A at the moment but when teams suss us out or even scout us effectively we are prone to being nullified.

• The concern last season was that it was very much the little and large show and I can’t recall how many games Scott played without Bayo as his partner and protector. I can understand his fears because, with his great skill, quick feet and acceleration, plus his ability to slip undetected into goalscoring positions, often the only way he can be stopped is by physical force - tripping, body-checking etc.

I really hope he can overcome his fear, as I’m sure we all do.

• I’d like to add my support to the comments about JJ being our best LB, Certainly in the years ive supported the club

• Just watched the port vale Luton goals.......well worth a watch some of defending is comical