Skip to content

Match day thread: Mansfield

Comments

• The same starting XI and subs we had against Newport.

• Three players missing for Mansfield due to a virus

• The Beast scores his 13th of the season,1-0.

• The foul count is shown as 8 to 9. Does that reflect what you are taking about?

• I know we can be a little dark artsy, but not, Mansfield are trying to win some kind of award!

• ...and their second is scored by someone who should not have been on the pitch!

• Lee Angol makes it 2-1. Of course.

• Terrible second half for Wycombe. Lost all shape. Simple control and touch eluded even the most reliable of players. Eze disappeared. Hard to swallow

• The ref was the worse ref i have the misfortune of seeing...truly incometant

• Couldn't make the game today, but that feels like a terrible result. On the face of it, Mansfield were there for the taking with the virus that hit their squad and the early injuries. Losing the 3 points is bad enough, but now Mansfield are right in the thick of it and this result I'm sure will be huge for them.

• Was he taking the "p" , ww2015

• The defeat was of our own doing, not the ref and not Mansfield. All they did was up their tempo. We failed to make simple passes and stopped using the width that served us so well in the first 45. Losing PCH was something that contributed I guess even so the second half is pretty inexcusable. The Freeman sub was just bizarre. He was stood for 10 minutes waiting to come on and gets 3 minutes. GA’s indecision typified the team performance.

• We bossed the first half with some lovely play but without getting a second goal it was always going to be a long afternoon.

Second half we were dreadful until the last 10 minutes.

JJ had an uncharacteristic shocker, but on the whole most others did OK. A loss was definitely not a fair result despite the second half loss of shape and fluidity.

• Agree with @TheAndyGrahamFanClub it was clear having made two subs the stags were going to have to come fast out of the traps to get something out of the game. We failed to deal with them, missed second balls, midfield anonymous all of a sudden and so on. Angol should not have been on the pitch ''tis true but they were the better side second half by a long way. But even Richie 's boys lost at port vale today so we're still in the mix.

• Hard to take as we seem to appear to have some sort of mental disorder against beating the top teams.

It is factual to say we have chucked away leads against Luton and Mansfield, and after coming back to 2-2 V Cov and Notts we also end up losing those games. No win against the top 8 is it?

We have a great team this season but aren't taking advantage. The centre half injuries and Eze's return to QPR have come at a bad time.

Some tough fixtures coming up and we need to grind out some results against tricky opposition. Show the naivety we did in the second period today after boasting the first half and it won't happen.

Kashket returning cannot come soon enough, Bayo looks knackered and I'm not surprised

• Very frustrating game to lose.

Bossed it first half and played some lovely stuff. Then the quality dropped off a bit and thus Mansfield picked up more second balls in midfield and posed more threat. You couldn't say they didn't deserve the two goals but, for once, the respective yellow card tally (5-1 to them) did not lie. I thought we were bad - and we are - but, ignoring the timewasting as standard, the cynicism of some of their fouling was notable and left a bad taste. They did not deserve the win and we did not deserve the loss.

I moved down to goalside for injury time and was as close as could be to the goal. Thus, I was perfectly positioned to see the most flagrant handball from the, I think, last corner of the game. As CMS put the ball back towards goal from the back post it was blocked by a defender's hands - he practically caught it - which were positioned alongside his head. You'd have given a goalie credit for spreading himself so well in similar circumstances. No blame on the ref for not seeing it from where he was but the linesman must have had a pretty perfect view. By modern refereeing interpretation, a stonewall penalty.

JJ had another poor game: roughly his fourth in a row and perhaps his worst. His delivery is way off his usual standards. Thought Luke was superb in midfield. Anticipated better than most on the pitch and used the ball very well. When we moved the ball along the ground, especially down the right in the first half, we looked a league above Mansfield. Scarr and Sido very good first half. Seemed to lose the aerial battle second half, perhaps because Mansfield were picking the ball up in more advanced positions due to our inaccuracy. Gape decent. Likewise Sam, Bayo (great header), Paris/ CMH and Tyson. Eze perhaps a little more involved than the three previous games and hustled well defensively but still think he's got more to give.

• Huge fan of Eze but if anyone thinks that he can leave us and go back into a championship team they are deluded. He has a lot to learn and for every 45 minutes of joyful play he has to be carried for 45.

• With Eze i'm thinking he'll regret being called back to QPR and find himself lucky to be on the bench,maybe though Holloway wants to see what he can do for a League 1 team on loan for the rest of the season,whatever happens i'll be looking out for how he gets on wherever he ends up playing.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Huge fan of Eze but if anyone thinks that he can leave us and go back into a championship team they are deluded. He has a lot to learn and for every 45 minutes of joyful play he has to be carried for 45.

I feel for the last few games he has eased off, even if subconsciously, knowing that he will be returning back to QPR. He would obviously not want to be injured or exhausted when he arrives back.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lets be honest our playing style really doesn’t suit eze as most of the time we lump it up. When we did play it on the floor today he was involved but he would probably benefit from playing in a 4 or 5 man midfield so he doesn’t have to to do the defensive work. We struggled to get the ball to him today, maybe Mansfield did their homework and marked him. Overall his loan has been a success and I think without him this season we would prob be at least 10 points shy of where we are now.
    I think the main thing that went wrong 2nd half is that we pretty much didn’t win a single 50-50 challenge. Each time they won one they seemed to be in. Agree changes should have come sooner bringing Freeman on with a couple of minutes to go was pointless, I think we should have changed shape and put more in midfield to help us win a few more battles.
    JJ did have another shocker especially with his delivery. However in his defence he has probably played every game this season so is probably knackered and needs a rest. Maybe GA Gould consider a couple of changes for Monday to freshen it up.

• Tough one to take. I think a point would have been fair. As others have said, Mansfield stopped us playing second half and were the better side. Angol made a big difference and proved a useful target man.

Really we should have scored more first half and taken away the opportunity for Mansfield to get themselves back in the game. We had the game plan and shape right from the start and Mansfield struggled badly. We should have punished them for that and the second half would likely not have been an issue.

I feel like second half today and first against Cov we have struggled to play against effective opposition. Sometimes this will happen but it is slightly disappointing we haven't been able to dig in and grind something out. Had we got stuck into a few more 50/50s, pinched a couple of free kicks and generally tried to disrupt both Mansfield and Cov, we could easily have taken a point in either game. Normally we're very good at finding the wherewithal to scrape a result when under the cosh.

Nonetheless, we remain in a good position and on another day could have taken at least a draw. The next three games are winnable, before two tough games at the end of Jan. Need to aim for 7-9 points from those before Cov at home followed by the rearranged trip to Luton.

• What seems somewhat ironic to me, is that we seem to be playing less quality football since Mr Bean has been out, bearing in mind he is probably our least cultured player. It reminds me of a similar situation in the 60's when England were a better side with a similarly limited player in Nobby Stiles.

• edited December 2017

Very fair observation, @mooneyman. Perhaps he oiled the wheels, tidying things up so we could play more fluidly and ambitiously.

Or perhaps, just coincidence!

• It always amuses/frustrates me when there’s such an over reaction to a defeat. Admittedly the posters on here are more restrained and articulate with the views they express but some of those on the fans Facebook page are unbelievable. Suddenly GA is ‘tactically inept’ and we are ‘never going to go up’ because we lose one game.
    We are 3 points off the automatic promotion places.
    Today we were excellent in the first half and should have gone in with a 2 or 3 goal lead. Second half they were the better team, it happens! Angol, scorer of the winning goal and the player who handled the ball at the end, should have been shown a red card. One of those days.

• I don't know that anyone here has been throwing out the baby with the bathwater. For someone whose glass is supposedly half full, you don't half spend a lot of time focusing on negatives.

• Fair observations there @glasshalffull, wouldn't argue much there. Just a shame that we didn't take the 3-0 lead our play deserved, which would have seen a totally different 2nd half.

• How can you interpret my post as being negative? I was merely pointing out how negative others have been.

• Shame Bayo didn’t tuck that one away just before half-time. 2-0 at half time would’ve seen us in good nick.

Good as we were for 25 minutes, the second half showing was not good at all. Just so awful losing to the appalling Steve Evans - I think I’d stay at home if that clown ever managed us.