Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

13»

Comments

• Your post made my smile @HCblue . Must have taken a while to research and some pretty good stuff there if I say so myself. Seems I've never posted about booing the team or sarcastically chanting about how bad they are. Must be because I've never done it. Maybe I'm not nuanced enough yet. Might you have missed the point I was making about abusing the team at matches?

• edited December 2017

Not long to research. Roughly every other post this month!

Your point is clearly enough made, and, to the extent where it calls for perspective and patience in one's support of a football team, especially in the lower leagues, a fair one. The nuance required is in understanding the context and degree of the events under discussion rather than leaping to judgement. Describing as morons those you believe to have been responsible - if I understand another of your posts elsewhere you were not at the match - is as rude as it is inaccurate as well as serving to undermine the moral superiority you seek to assert.

In reality, everyone at the game was pretty exasperated by the play in the first half - it really was that bad, as Benny's match report made clear. There was no concerted booing, though there was a bit of it at times, but there were plenty of loud expressions of said exasperation which took various forms. The applause for the passing was, to my ear some way further forward from where it originated, a rather funny and ironical response to what had preceded it. I like it when fans are willing to use irony and self-deprecation about their own side: it shows humility and is preferable to the one-eyed version of support that lays blame for all ills on opponents or referees.

If some people have a bee in their bonnet on Facebook, so be it. As I hope I illustrated, it seems some people say or write things online that, I hope, they would not in the real world, at least in the same terms. But don't try to connect that to the conduct of fans at Friday's game who bore the dire fare of the first half with reasonable tolerance and occasional humour.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I'm with HCblue I'm sure it did not happen and if it did no one was involved in
    it and anything on Facebook I did not see makes it doubly probably not true and I see no point in anyone bringing it up. Not that it even happened. And if GA does not clap true fans they have every right to put racial slurs on social media. Not that they did or ever would. Let that be an end to it! Merry Christmas!

• Thanks @Wendoverman A perfect summary as always