Skip to content

The Opposition View - Chesterfield

2»

Comments

• Oh, THAT Andrew...

• Yeeha!

• @DJWYC14 Wasn't the Luton game the one JJ got punched in the face and the player stayed on the pitch and then Luton won the game in the time added on for treating the injury?

If it was then that ref was rubbish as well.

• James Linnigton the best official to visit Adams Park by a mile this season.

• He was notably good in a difficult fixture, I suggest. Plenty of others have been fine. Even the Leatherhead penalty was a correct decision, albeit one that was rather glaringly made without an eye for context!

• I can only think that the only reason that we didn't protest that Paris pen incident more, is that we knew how critical it was to keep concentration and make sure we didn't compound the upset by then conceding.

It did look a most bizarre incident, never in a million miles offside, and the ref was definitely thinking pen, before his lino saved him the decision

• He was more than thinking pen - he was actually pointing towards the spot

• If there ever was a time when arguing with the referee might actually change the decision, it's on offside decisions like that. I think he saw the flag and just went with it, if we'd actually have been in his face about bayo not touching it he would have had to actually consider it rather than take the easy option.

• I'd have to see it again in fairness. I wasn't even sure Paris was beyond Bayo whoever touched it.

Thank goodness we saw out the win either way.

• After one decision I heard JJ ask the lino did he really think the ball was over (or something), the lino said...I don;t know. So JJ said...if you don't know don't give it! The penalty, however soft, was a bizarre decision by the officials, in my opinion. But you're right @HCblue if they had scored more than us they would have won the game.

• @Username said:
    If there ever was a time when arguing with the referee might actually change the decision, it's on offside decisions like that. I think he saw the flag and just went with it, if we'd actually have been in his face about bayo not touching it he would have had to actually consider it rather than take the easy option.

Be careful username, you might upset those holier-tha-thou Wycombe fans who think we should never indulge in the sort of behaviour adopted by every other team-even if we are better at it than most!

• Welcome back @rmjlondon . Which game did James Linnington preside over again?
    Was it one we won?

• @glasshalffull said:
    Be careful username, you might upset those holier-tha-thou Wycombe fans who think we should never indulge in the sort of behaviour adopted by every other team-even if we are better at it than most!

It does annoy me when we've overdone it in the past. But decisions like that offside, I've seen referees go and talk to the linesman after a player has "had a word", and the decisions been changed, so it seemed strange to me at the time we let it go so easily.

• Also just seen the penalty that never was. As far as I can tell the linesman signals for offside, which is comfortably one of the worst decisions I've ever seen given in a game of professional football. Paris is yards on side and in any case it appears the ball comes off the defender rather than Bayo.

• @Glenactico said:
    Also just seen the penalty that never was. As far as I can tell the linesman signals for offside, which is comfortably one of the worst decisions I've ever seen given in a game of professional football. Paris is yards on side and in any case it appears the ball comes off the defender rather than Bayo.

I’ve just watched the extended highlights and I totally agree. I replayed it several times and even slowed it down frame by frame. Paris came from inside his own half and Bayo was also onside, there was no question of a foul by either Wycombe player and their keeper clearly brings Paris down. A penalty all day long, astonishingly bad decision!

• Paris runs from well inside our own half and even when the ball is played by the last defender - not Bayo - Paris is still not in an offside position anyway.
    The assistant referee is in line with the play at that point and Bayo makes no contact with either the ball or the defender which he must see.
    How he can therefore flag for offside rather than a penalty is truly beyond comprehension.

Hope these screen grab works - quality may not be great but they show moment the ball is played forward by Stewart and the moment it is played by the defender.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/0eJW6ECkRJDvdArq2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SuuGpFQ7dIMiQtht2

• Good work @Twizz. It was definitely an offside flag, wasn't it, from the way he held it out. I say it because, even before these excellent pictures, I simply couldn't see how he remotely came to that conclusion. I am absolutely one of those with a distaste for arguing with referees and not ashamed to say it: it sullies the sport and serves no useful or legitimate purpose. But this was one of those rare occasions where a polite entreaty to the referee asking him to make further enquiries of the linesman would have been justified and perhaps paid dividends. Of course, if you've bitched and ranted about every adverse decision he's made up to that point in the game, he's much less likely to heed your request...

• My new theory is that the linesman went to wave to his mum in the Frank Adams stand, and did not realize he was using his flag hand until it was too late.

• Sounds perfectly plausible @Shev.