Skip to content

Witty/Humorous Player nicknames

Comments

• Their seemed about 1500 linnets at the Trophy final in 1993. A club that really struggled to get any decent support.

• 6220 to be exact, and 6284 two days later for Altrincham. Would be great if we could get this sort of support now.

• Those were matches with massive celebratory connotations. When we have had similarly high stakes home games in recent seasons, the attendances have been even greater.

• For the 0-0 home game against Woking (sandwiched between the two Trophy semis), we still were organised enough to get exactly 5000 through the gate, every one of them munching on a fish butty

• @wformation but imagine if we got those sorts of figures the distress there would be over FA cup ticket allocation??

• Come on the Corn!

• Get out of my field!

• Damn and blast statistics!

• Care needed to be taken when referring to Kenny Lunt of Crewe Alexandra.

• PCH here in the West of America is well known short hand for Pacific Coast Highway, and I always think about that when he is playing. Not sure how to make a nickname out of it, except that the PCH is part of 'Route 1'. Doesn't really describe his playing style, though!

• Ex Wanderers and Kiddy midfielder 'Jock' Mackenzie, im pretty sure many Wanderers fans didnt even know his name was Graham.
    The Same could be said for Ex Wanderers player,physio,groundmans and true legend 'Jock' Shepherd, i still dont know his real name !!

• "Brick Out" was certainly up there.

• Do we assume Jim "Gardener" was a nickname too?

• My wife thought Ivor Beeks was a nickname.

• Way back, when I were a lad in the 50s, skipper and full back Frank Westley was always known as 'Spider'. All arms and legs but no mean footballer.

• @LordMandeville said:
    Way back, when I were a lad in the 50s, skipper and full back Frank Westley was always known as 'Spider'. All arms and legs but no mean footballer.

Struggled to get out of the bath.

• Brick Out? Tell me more....

• @pafcprogs - (Kortney) Hause. Now at Wolves, but learned it all at Adams Park.

• My dubious memory seems to recall a “twinkle-toes” who Alan Smith? signed maybe from the villa good player but a bit lightweight could be wrong long time ago

• John Williams was the Flying Postman.

• @BuckinghamBlue said:
    My dubious memory seems to recall a “twinkle-toes” who Alan Smith? signed maybe from the villa good player but a bit lightweight could be wrong long time ago

That would be Dave Farrell. I remember him wearing red boots before colour boots became fashionable, I'm not sure if this had anything to do with his nickname or if it was his ability to dance through the opposition defences.

• The ability to dance through opposition defences was not a skill Farrell employed much (if at all) while at Wycombe Wanderers.

• Yes that was him thanks @a40 and @arnos_grove as I recall he did a lot of dancing about but with little result.

• Scored direct from a corner at the plucky non leaguers though

• Gary 'Pogo' Patterson - named after the Grange Hill character

• Anthony 'Sticks' Riley, 80s right back, thin legs. Bit of a cult hero.

• Does Alan “f@cking” Beeton count?

• LX1LX1
    edited December 2017

Matt Crossley - cucumber. Scored two rare goals in that FA Trophy semi away at Sutton

• @LX1 said:
    Matt Crossley - cucumber. Scored two rare goals in that FA Trophy semi away at Sutton

Very coolly taken?