Skip to content

Match day thread: Yeovil

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We unfortunately have the third game of the Checkatrade to get through on Tuesday first.
    Wonder if Ainsworth will even start himself, to spare someone else the risk. Guaranteed to be on the bench at least

• Did the job and with a frighteningly sparse bench. Thought PCH was close to his best today, even his crosses were good. Southwell worked so hard but I think Beano has come closer to scoring than he did today.

• I thought it was a good display in general. Controlled possession in a manner I don’t recall seeing for some time. Yeovil kept their shape and defended well but badly lacked a decent out ball up front.

Southwell was especially tidy on the ball and worked hard to chase balls down. Doesn’t really look like scoring but deserves credit for a good contribution today having had very little game time.

Given the choice of one or the other I’d rather secure Eze till the end of the season than see 3-4 new faces come in during the Jan window.

• Agree about Southwell. Cracking work rate and attitude but added virtually nothing to our chances of scoring a goal.

I wonder if he’s ever though about playing in midfield instead?

• Re the crowd we were puzzled as last week we breezed into Montys at 2:15 but today we queued. Additionally the line for the Vere Suite was substantially longer.

• Not sure it's been mentioned yet, but that tackle by Stewart in the run-up to their goal might be the best bit of defending I've ever seen at a game.

• @Last_Quarter - I felt so bad for Stewart that they scored right after his epic defensive play there.

• A win against a side we've struggled against long term (though despite @M3G's enigmatic comments I'm also none-the-wiser why there's any enmity) can always be chalked down as A Good Thing. But I'm slightly perturbed by our decision to pay route one football from the start and the lack of shots our three strikers had. I can't remember any from Southwell or PCH (apart from gaining us the penalty) and Akinfenwa really only had that last-second shot that hit the crossbar. It was a bit cautious for me against conspicuously poor opposition. Still, it was lovely to see Eze and O'Nien harrying away in midfield and the defence played with great shape and confidence. I like Southwell and he put in an excellent shift but I really wish he was more selfish sometimes - he still seems a bit starstruck in our team and unwilling to step up and take the shot. He could learn from Kashket in that regard. I'm still hoping to see a Saunders-O'Nien-Eze midfield; was kinda hoping Bloomfield would make way today but was not to be. Still - three points in the bag, which outweighs any slight disappointments. And now onto the Johnson Paint Trophy.

• Rather than just playing himself, it's a pity GA can't also sign 10 random fans for the day to play in the Checkatrade with him! We might lose 13-0, but it would spare the matchday squad and make for some memories!

• What's the maximum fine we could get for doing that? Bet we'd make it back in the gate receipts, I'd definitely turn up to watch that.

• But not young, energetic fans. That would be cheating. It would have to be our ten most ancient, decrepit fans, who can barely walk unnassisted.

• And maybe Jermaine Easter who appears to be hanging around looking for a contract

• @fame_46 said:
    My team for Tues:

Baz Richardson
    Will DeHav
    Williams
    Dr Congo
    Ewan hoosami
    Ainsworth
    Dobbo
    Richie (if he can swop shifts at club shop)
    Southwell
    Paris
    The tall lanky steward (L4L Bayo replacement)

Now that is something I would pay to watch! ;)

Surprised you've left Bodger out, would be ideal as target man.

• @M3G said:
    Errrm yes! They were rivals, no different to Colchester a few season later, who another generation hate and despise, big two clubs. For trouble at games for thuggish players and everything that goes with a rivalry at that level.

I’ll help on the Yeovil animosity front. Supported the club since ‘85. As most are aware, we don’t see too much trouble on our travels. I’ve been assaulted three times - twice at Yeovil. For the record, kicked and punched in the ground and secondly contorted by 5 yokels while on my own, which ended in one of them spitting in my face from close range.

I enjoyed ignoring their begging bowls out at the turnstiles when they were in financial bother a few years later. Horrible club, so really enjoyed yesterday’s win despite it being a pretty dour one. If Bayo’s effort had gone it at the end it would’ve been goal of the season.

• Thanks @arnos_grove that seems justifiable reasons for the antipathy. Apart from that one season way back I wasn’t aware that any of that went on down there. I must have chosen more civilised pre and post match watering holes

• edited November 2017

@essex_wanderer , i'm not sure a bench which features quality acts like Saunders and CMS, an actual goalie (ie not a 45 year old), a loanee from QPR, and a solid pros like Bean (i'll give you WDH) can ever be called "frighteningly sparse".

Not compared to a tonne of other benches these last few years

• @bookertease said:
    Thanks arnos_grove that seems justifiable reasons for the antipathy. Apart from that one season way back I wasn’t aware that any of that went on down there. I must have chosen more civilised pre and post match watering holes

I use The Arrow never had a problem in there while wearing a Wycombe shirt.

• It would be good if we could give the kit man a run out on Tuesday evening. He looks as if he might benefit from the experience.

• @Jonny_King said:
    But not young, energetic fans. That would be cheating. It would have to be our ten most ancient, decrepit fans, who can barely walk unnassisted.

I’m relieved to find that I haven’t been picked so far, Jonny. On a less flippant note (but only slightly) I am sure Al-Makalamba will play and I’m slightly tempted to go to the match just to see him as, from what I’ve seen and heard, he is extremely acrobatic and possibly the goalkeeping equivalent of Sido Jombati.
    The gate is likely to be on a par with that of a Leatherhead home league game so the £10,000 for winning it (?) is an incentive to put a reasonably strong side out.

Jambalaya 

Jombati. WDH. Scarr. Jack Williams

Bean.   Bloomfield.  Freeman 

Eze.        Southwell.    PCH

Substitutes:

Richardson
    El-Abd
    O’Nien
    CMS
    Saunders

• Something ‘s gone a bit awry with my layout! Best laid plans........

• I know he’s never going to be a target man but surely the main reason Dayle Southwell hasn’t got on the score sheet (from memory) since Stevenage last season is the role and position he is being asked to play. Essentially, he is being asked (or choosing?) to play as a mainly defensive wide midfielder. To some extent this is probably dictated by the maverick tendencies of our entertainingly quixotic right back.

• It seemed to me he was playing in roughly the same role as CMS played last week...

• I really like Dayle Southwell and for his endeavour alone he deserves plaudits but when CMS came on and played the same role for a few minutes yesterday it showed the gulf in class. I don't think he is technically up to the job he was asked to play yesterday and I am sure if Freeman was ok he would not have done. A really nice guy but I think he is not up to it, maybe a lucky goal will change things around for him. Maybe not

• It says it all that the best positive we can find is that he "works hard", when that should be the absolute minimum for a pro, not to mention in an Ainsworth team!

We probably thought we'd play 2 up a lot of the time, but the second Bayo emerged as absolute first pick on the team sheet, rather than the "Plan B" he seemed to originally be, a few players were always going to be in trouble. Hayes and Southwell the main two.

@micra, spot on lineup I think there. Even down to Eze, who would otherwise not get a game for 2 weeks with the FA Cup blocking from QPR.
    Just missing Ainsworth from the bench. I wonder if he's half thinking about starting!

Wonder if the crowd will hit even 500. People's objections to the cup, freezing cold night, plus a dead rubber is near the worst combo. Just needed to be away somewhere mad like Exeter to really top it off.

• @fame_46 said:
    My team for Tues:

Baz Richardson
    Will DeHav
    Williams
    Dr Congo
    Ewan hoosami
    Ainsworth
    Dobbo
    Richie (if he can swop shifts at club shop)
    Southwell
    Paris
    The tall lanky steward (L4L Bayo replacement)

Now that is something I would pay to watch! ;)

Well, if I'm still standing at least I have some useful skills to help with the aching limbs! :-)

• I think Southwell is more of a centre forward who cannot get a berth in the middle for obvious reasons so is playing where he's asked to play. With CMS being the obvious exception, there's a reason the big man is getting the lion's share of the goals. No doubt Dayle will gain valuable experience before leaving and becoming an effective striker somewhere where Bayo isn;t!