Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• Criminal result.

• Terrible decision by the lino in the build up to their third, but we won’t win many games with that back four.

• Shocking officiating. Should be able to appeal decisions as bad as that

• Terrible decision by the lino in the build up to their third, but we won’t win many games with that back four.

• From the sublime to the ridiculous...Eze's second half display was one of the best individual attacking performances I've ever seen at AP. Our defending, however...

• edited October 2017

Eze brilliant - just brilliant. How did QPR ever let him go out on loan?! The "foul" on him for their third is given 100% of the time. Referee, who seemed a very nice man, and assistants were terrible throughout the game. Hugely inconsistent in decision-making and lucky the game didn't degenerate because of it.

Cheltenham offered nothing but honest endeavour, great height, a vast amount of arguing with the officials from the first minute and a couple of flagrant dives in front of the referee that he did nothing about. Their 20 was a livewire down the left and a little fella came on second half and was super in midfield but other than them, they were bog-standard L2 filler.

Nothing against him and wish the best for his career but WDH looked totally lost for the whole game. Hoping there are mitigating reasons for that performance. Gape did better at RB than last week.

Their first goal was a complete muck-up by Bean, who dropped off at the free kick while everyone else held their ground, thus playing the whole Cheltenham team onside. A gift. Their second was a thunderbolt hit from edge of the area by a guy given much too much time and space. The less said about the third, the better. All our goals will look scruffy but each was beautifully crafted.

If we miss out by a point or two this year, this is the game to look at. It was in the bag. I am very disappointed.

• Got to say it was exciting stuff and we were robbed by the officials, which is not bad considering the makeshift defence. Had we not been so lacksadaisical in front of goal at 3-1 up we would have been out of sight. Cheltenham played well as well. Eze wasting so much time doing his laces before that late free kick though? I did not like that. Glad to see Richie 's boys were given a hiding by Coventry as well!

• Enjoyable game but poor defending for the goals. Despicable coward of a linesman had a foul happen right in front of him, yet did nothing. Needs to be bought to task over it

• 2-0 a hiding ? I think u will find we got a hiding at 3-1 up the game should have been over

• edited October 2017

To me, there seem to be 2 reasons why we're defending so poorly.

1) No protection. A midfield of Saunders (who did make some nice niggly tackles today, it must be said) Eze, who are in there to attack, and Bean who spends the game marauding wherever he pleases in a bid to tackle isn't tight enough. Countless times today balls were lumped over our midfield to strikers running straight at the defence who aren't being protected at all.

2) Constantly swapping around the centre-backs, although it has been forced on occasion through injury, does nothing to help. Although El-Abd has defended much better himself in recent weeks, it's clear that he and Brown aren't marshalling the defence well enough. They were all over the place at the end.

The defence can't take sole blame though, as on 2 occasions Eze wandered through Cheltenham served it on a plate, but both PCH and Freeman managed to squander chances to put us 4-1 up.

It was a terrible refereeing decision, but the foul on Eze is not the reason we couldn't see out the match.

• Would like to see the first goal again, am sure JJ was fouled.

No-one bar the ref, but more at fault, the linesman would need a replay for the third. Double hand push, super blatant, players looked to half stopped, and they scored. When the whole team go and individually remonstrate with officials, you can normally tell there's something in it.

They'll look at it, realise they've stuffed up, but it's gone, and 2 points wasted.

Really need Stewart and Sido back asap.

We can mask El Abd's flaws with those in there as well, but El Abd-WHD-Gape is going to consistently leak the goals.

• I know we were down to bare bones but WDH is not good enough for this league. Even at 3-1 you could see that if we sat back they could still hurt us, and we did. Eze is a superb player though and Freeman is improving every game, so there positives to take from that second half performance.

• We were cheated by the lino/ ref pure and simple. It was the most blatant of fouls.

Eze was unbelievably good in the second half. The touch, flick over a defender's head and through ball to Freeman was Premier League quality. His class made all three of our goals. It was a 10/10 performance in the second half from Eze.

• Blatant foul on Eze right in front of the Lino and me in the direct run up to the Cheltenham equaliser obviously he’s not up to the job

• A Keegan'esq display in the second half. Defensively inept. Didn't bother to try and quell the threat they were building, just adopted the attitude that we are going to score and score. Which is fun - to a point.
    Eze was a joy but his joy creation came at a cost and that was in the centre of the midfield. PCH offered nothing when he came on and a better change would have been CMS for O9 or Bloomers. We needed to shut them down, we didn't.
    As for the foul it is an embarrassment to say that either of those guys call themselves officials. Then they have the arrogance to wave away the players and managers who's careers they ++++ with. Second time in three weeks poor officials have cost us goals, what is going to change? I would simply like the linesman to have a channel where he can educate us poor saps what he saw about that non-foul compares to the two that involved CMS in the first half (one given against us, one not given for us). It would help us idiots understand what we are getting wrong when we jeer these highly skilled officials.

• I felt like the ref started well, clearly trying not to blow up for every little niggle. The problem was that then he started giving some and not others, but the foul on Eze was so obvious that missing that makes the rest of the discussion moot.

The real frustration is that we could have been out of sight by that point, Freeman and Saunders both missing decent chances in the second half and Bayo in the first.

Agree that we should’ve tightened up in midfield sooner, maybe 09 or Bloomfield for one of the front three so that Bean could stay in front of the back four

On a side note, today was the first time I’ve been able to watch a game on iFollow, just about worth a fiver, but nice to be able to watch the game.

• I think the lino could see Eze was going to try and buy a free kick and made his mind up before the incident that it wouldnt be a foul. Unfortunately it resulted in a blatant push being missed.

That said our defending has been woeful this season and unless we shore it up then all this attacking talent that we have at our disposal will be wasted.

Still I'd rather watch games like today then some of the performances over the last couple of years where once we went a goal down it was game over.

• Still way to angry about the refereeing and the awful back post defending to comment further

• Highlights are up - http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11103503/wycombe-3-3-cheltenham.

The linesman and/or the referee should never officiate again for money. I am shocked.

• @Malone said:
    Would like to see the first goal again, am sure JJ was fouled.

Looked blatant to me. It’ll be lost due to the incident before the third but for me both shouldn’t have counted. Awful officiating today.

• Akinfenwa fouled their defender for our second.

The officials were just ignoring fouls all afternoon, for both sides, and that's not great but we should probably concentrated on the fact that we can't defend crosses

Still, another fun match, and a joy to watch a talent like Eze in a Wycombe shirt. That 2nd half performance was different class. Whoever didn't give him man of the match should be drugs tested

• Wow. That double handed shove is just as bad and obvious as I thought at the time.

I'm a bit gobsmacked to be honest.

Not sure what on earth WDH is doing for the third though. Leaves the man and gets himself in a complete muddle on the line.

They could have done a highlights reel for Eze alone

• Incredible. That’s ensured I remain angry for at least the rest of this evening.

• Also, Bean misjudged a header for the first and Brown should be getting a stronger hand on the second Goal IMO

• No justification for not giving the free kick in the build up to their third. Eze went down easily but it's simply a foul.

• Apparently two handed pushes in the back are allowed now then! From the terrace I didn't realise just how bad it was at the time.
    Seriously the lineman and referee need to apologies, at least to GA if not the whole team. How they missed that is truly unbelievable.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I try to keep anger out of my life but f me what can I do when it’s so obvious

• Cheltenham were a huge side, and we needed a centre half to command in a Delaney/Vircaus/Creaser/Bates style.
    What we got is a WDH, completey shot of confidence, and out jumped at at almost every opportunity.
    Opposition sides have spotted our blatantly obvious weakness, at dealing with high balls, due to Brown's stay at home keeping, and no consistently commanding centre half.
    I think we will see some major movement to correct this in the Jan,
    window.